Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:51 AM

1,081 posts, read 2,479,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
You are aware that Wilmington is a good FIVE HOURS from the mountains, right? Nowhere in the southeast are you going to find both beaches and mountains within an easy drive--
Of course, Surfer17 could always move to your neck of the woods, Francois, and then he'd be within a few hours of either the beach or the mountains, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 09:28 AM

69 posts, read 181,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfer17 View Post
Again, amazing & helpful feedback! Thank you all again so very very much...

I have to figure that even when it is hot in the summer you get a nice coastal breeze, right? What do you think? In Gainesville, FL now (central FL) and it feels like I'm living in a pot of soup for most of the summer. Nothing like the time I spent living on the coast of FL for sure...

I'll have to check the market out and visit the town to get a feel, but this is truly a great start so far.
This is true of the coast in general. Summers are beautiful once the sun rises and sets you just don't want to fry in the mid-day sun. My sister and her friends go to the beach every August which I think is the worst month to be there. The mountains are fantastic that time of year.

I don't know if my take is worth as much as I've only been a tourist in both places but I had the same take as movedtothecoast of Charleston versus Wilmington. Charleston is considered the most progressive left leaning city in SC and yet it still has that high society southern feel that keeps me from feeling at home. Born in Boston a having grown up a Duke faculty brat in Durham, I've always gravitated towards the individuals and away from lily white southern societies. Although I'm not a hippie I like to see a few hippies to feel at home. I also like to see the occasional mixed race couple. I met one who had moved from Ohio on one of my visits and they were very happy in Wilmington. I expect Charleston has some of that going on too but I just got the impression that money and position mean a lot in Charleston, while Wilmington just feels more laid back.

No one should move to NC thinking they are moving to a liberal state but nor should they be scared away if they are left leaning or a crunchy type. There are plenty of pockets where they will feel right at home.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,484 times
I am a green holistic community developer in Wilm. It is coming around but it is slow. It is hard to find the crunchy liberal crowd, but we did help get Obama elected. I do think it is the best beach town on the East coast because it is still vibrant 24/7 even without the tourists.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:38 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,411,080 times
beachbuilt,
which area are you developing in wilmington?
while i have no expertise , i always toy with that idea , most def. would love to see
more modern design homes, ala dwell magazine design ideas.
lots of prefab moderns entering the market,
would love to see a whole neighborhood designed like that.

Old 11-26-2009, 12:46 PM

197 posts, read 959,707 times
There are acupuncturists/alternative health practitioners in Wilmington, not sure why the person above drove 5 hours for that type treatment.

Wilmington and Charleston are both great cities, Charleston is a good bit larger than Wilmington. You really should come down and visit both if you are interested.

Description of Wilmington seems pretty accurate. Check out SC board for info. on Charleston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina