Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2009, 12:07 AM

768 posts, read 938,311 times

Advertisements

Short and sweet. I'm a self employed young man and I love ocean fishing. Where should I go check out?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 08:18 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,008,928 times
What type of fishing do you do you do most often? That will direct where to check out.
For example-If you love to surf fish-Then head to Ocracoke, Hatteras, Kitty Hawk. But that area is probably not the cheapest to live at.

Living mainland with access to the ocean will be the cheapest. Easiest ocean access then becomes the Morehead City area working on down south.

But if trout, drum, flounder is more to your liking 7 keeping costs down-Then the Inner Banks region of NC is your ticket.

With a little bit more info about your fishing requirements will help me to help you as to all of the possible "where's". From that we can determine the lowest cost.
Bill

Old 11-22-2009, 11:12 AM

Hi Bill, thanks so much for the thorough response! My peak excitement is king fishing the various piers in addition to barracuda fishing.

Thanks again, Bill!

Old 11-22-2009, 03:54 PM

917 posts, read 2,292,970 times
No kids I presume? That will make it easier as you dont need to consider school districts. Are you looking to buy or rent?

Old 11-22-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann in Oriental View Post
No kids I presume? That will make it easier as you dont need to consider school districts. Are you looking to buy or rent?
No kids! I'll be renting.

Thanks, Ann!

Old 11-23-2009, 05:19 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,804,246 times
I agree with BH, Morehead City for the boats, and across the bridge to Atlantic Beach has some of the finest fishing. There are both head boats and charter boats, surf fishing will usually be productive and piers, if you can find them, could also provide entertainment. Bill, what is runnin' inshore this time of year? Or, there is always the Carolina Princess. I'm hoping to come down next month for one of their 18 hr trips.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:55 AM

Dusty & thinkin,
Bogue Inlet Pier sounds like the solution for both of you. It's located in Emerald Isle.
I know, I know-EI is expensive. But just drive north on HWY. 58 a few miles and watch prices plumett.
But Bogue Inlet Pier is very well run and maintained. It is also a great king (and tarpon) pier.
Baracuda caught from a NC pier would be more of an oddity than the norm.
Right now the offshore boats are limiting out on yellowfin tuna.
The crowd around Oregon Inlet and the North Beach of Hatteras are catching stripers-Big stripers.
Creeks off the Neuse and Cape Lookout Rock Jetty are producing 2-5 pound speckled trout.
Sea mullets are everywhere in the surf. So are blackdrum.
Speaking of which-Bogue Inlet pier landed a 73 pound black drum last week. (And another one in the 50 pound range)
Look in my City-Data profile for my home web site. It is saltwater fishing and management/politics related.
Bill

Old 11-24-2009, 11:46 AM

713 posts, read 3,915,348 times
Smile Here's a link to picture of Bogue Inlet Pier

We often drop by Bogue Inlet Pier to check out the action. We are about 15 minutes from it. We live up the White Oak River just off of Highway 58.

This is a link to a picture of the Bogue Inlet Pier taken this Sunday as sun was fighting its way out from behind the clouds.

It is a great area for fishing. I love living on the river and being able to hit the Intracoastal Waterway in less than ten minutes.

Of course sometimes we fish in the White Oak just outside our subdivision. We have caught just about everything there including some Black Drum but nothing like those recent catches on the pier

You can find homes off Highway 58 from $153,500 up for 3 bedrooms and 2 baths.

Let me know if you need more information about the area.

There is lots of information with pictures at this link.

Old 11-25-2009, 05:27 AM

Oops-I forgot to warn about the shark that hangs out around Bogue Inlet Pier.
Heck-Why not post the Bogue Inlet Pier website? I don't mind the risk of getting whacked by the MODS. It's a great pier! Great fishing, Great fun. family oriented. Clean, tackle shop, bathrooms, snacks & drinks-What else could you ask for??
Bill
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina