Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 01:09 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by govols View Post
Are there any public or private schools that do not do the block scheduling? I just think four classes for 1.5 hours is not the ideal learning environment. The school system does this to save money. Kids can go several months before revisiting the same subject again. What a wrong move!
There are pros and cons to block scheduling. It does allow schools to offer more with the money they have. I know several high school students that love the schedule and one that doesn't..so it really depends. It's not always a bad thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2007, 11:16 AM

2 posts, read 5,127 times
Default Pros/Cons to Block Scheduling

I would like to learn more about the pros of block scheduling other than being able to offer more courses for the money. As a high school math teacher, I see a lot of cons. My students become restless after about 45 minutes. They can only take in so much. The rest of the period we do classwork. If this were a science class, I could do an experiment or field work. To me, this is wasted time in high school math classes. Also, those student who do not learn as quickly are snow balled very quickly and tend not to do as well as with the year long math courses. I know many teachers who prefer block scheduling for all the wrong reasons. I personally do not think it is the right way to teach.

Old 01-14-2007, 10:26 AM

787 posts, read 3,582,709 times
My SIL tells me that the New Hanover schools are better than the Pender County ones. Wilmington is actually in New Hanover county but a lot of people move to Castle Hayne, Hampstead and Rocky Point to get out of the city limits of Wilmington and I believe I am correct in saying that all of these towns are in Pender County. I know Rocky Point is but if you get as far as Hampstead and parts of Castle Hayne you might actually be in New Hanover County. I have been told, and again I am not sure how true it is, the property tax rate in New Hanover is higher than Pender County and so is the insurance rates for cars. So I would check it out throughly including where the county lines were actually at off of 40E before I settle on a piece of property. Good luck.

Old 01-14-2007, 05:27 PM
KJH

10 posts, read 56,163 times
I don't know the answer to your question but when school began this present school year the news was reporting that the schools had between 800 and 900 students less than had been planned for and no lay offs were going to happen. I know of a student in the first grade that always has at least 2 teachers.

Old 01-14-2007, 05:31 PM
KJH

10 posts, read 56,163 times
I just talked with my daughter. Her son is in a class of 21 to 22 children in the first grade and always 2 teachers.

Old 01-15-2007, 02:14 PM

21 posts, read 76,460 times
Default Wilmington schools

If you are referring to the reassignment, not to the same extent.
However, if Wilmington was growing at the rate of the Triangle area (7k+ kids a year) they likely would have the same issues as related to growth.
Resources:
www.nhcs.k12.nc.us New Hanover Co. Schools
www.ncpublicschools.org State level site with great info
www.wilmingtonstar.com Wilmington newspaper online
Pender Co, near Wilmington, has had wonderful test results this year.
Hope this helps.
Lisa
(Realtor and former school administrator in Wake and Carteret Co Schools)
www.TeamCurren.com

Old 01-15-2007, 10:27 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scjj View Post
We lived in Wilmington for 11 years, moved from there in 2003. My son had class for two years in a row in the same portable trailer in the 2nd and 3rd grade. Class size was anywhere between 30-35 students. Since we have moved from there the population has swelled even more, so I would assume also that the schools have too.
That is a large class size.....Wake county for those grades has a class size of no more then 20-25 or so.....but we have plenty of portable trailers. (They tend to put older elementary students and elective classes in them though.)

Old 07-10-2007, 05:40 PM

24 posts, read 138,479 times
I'm considering a move from Maryland.
The schools in my county also routinely have trailers... and always have as far back as I can remember.
Our class size is also 30-35 students.
So, I am trying to compare how the schools would compare.
And despite all of this, my daughter will be entering high school when we move and she has done very well here in Gifted Programs.
What do you think?

Old 07-15-2007, 01:21 PM

25 posts, read 126,483 times
Default Wilmington Schools

Read already posted info at //www.city-data.com/forum/coast...-anyone-2.html about NHC schools, both public and private. I am happy to answer any other questions as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina