Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2009, 12:23 PM

4 posts, read 8,717 times

Advertisements

Hi

My husband and I are looking to relocate several years from now and I'd like to do some advance homework.

My parents introduced me to OBX (Nags Head specifically) back in 1968, so for background I've always loved it there. Even though it was only vacations I've always felt that area to be "home" and still feel that way when we return. My husband loves the area too.

We've talked about relocating and he thinks it would be doable, as much as I love it there, I'm thinking it may not be feasible as to making a decent living so I've been researching the Morehead area.

I'm an RN and my husband does restoration/carpentry work. We are in our mid 40's, early 50's if that helps. DS who is 16 now may make the move with us, depends on where I'm sure.

Since the OBX hospital is the only one in that area, I understand the pay is not good and would need to supplement income during the summer mos by taking a 2nd job. I'm really not interested in that.

I'm not sure how realistic it is to be as close as possible to the beach but still decent access to work.

For OBX, we were looking at Kitty Hawk/KDH area on the west side that would be on the sound. Is there anything in the Morehead area like that?

We like a bit of nightlife but TBH if you know Awful Arthur's view of the ocean from their bar area, or even Mulligan's a place that has at least one of those in the area would be great.

I have no idea how to go about researching these areas other than googling them and I really don't seem to be coming up with much info other than short snippets. Obviously we'll have to plan a trip but I'd like to narrow down the places to know where to explore.

TIA for any assistance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2009, 09:15 AM

4 posts, read 8,717 times
okay....more broad

For those that relocated. How did you go about it? What was your time frame?

What did you use for resources for research?

Old 11-27-2009, 12:17 PM

713 posts, read 3,936,438 times
Smile Information on Carteret & Relocating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Paws View Post
okay....more broad

For those that relocated. How did you go about it? What was your time frame?

What did you use for resources for research?
We relocated about 3.5 years ago, and spent about three years looking at areas from Chincoteague to Oak Island, including Nags Heads, Hatteras, and Ocracoke.

We ended up in Western Carteret County on the eastern shore of the White Oak River, ten minutes by boat from Bogue Sound, and ten minutes by car from the beaches of Emerald Isle.

I have written lots about moving and the area.

This is a link to an index of some moving posts at my Crystal Coast, Saltwater on my feet blog.

There is an article about Beaufort and an archive of other articles at this NC Crystal Coast site.

Also I have a site with an interactive map and lots of pictures.

This blog was something of a diary of our first year here and this one is a little more recent.

My advice would be to come for a visit, at least a week if you can. My travel guides to Beaufort (http://coastalnc.org/beaufortnctravelguidecd - broken link), Emerald Isle (http://coastalnc.org/emeraldislenctravelguidecd - broken link), and Swansboro can be starting points.

There are three hospitals in the area that I know, one in Morehead City, Jacksonville, and New Bern. From where we live near Cape Carteret they are 25 minutes, 35 minutes, and 45 minutes. One of the real estate agents in our office in Cape Carteret is also a nurse in Morehead City.

Nothing is very far from the water in the corridor from Swansboro to Beaufort along Highway 24 and eventually Highway 70. You will get all sorts of opinions as to where to find the best place to live.

In the end that depends on you and what is important to you and your budget. We loved the Beaufort area, but could not find a water access community that had what we wanted at a price we could afford.

We live in a small subdivision called Bluewater Cove. Our home is on a small gut which leads to the White Oak River which takes us to the Intracoastal, Bogue Sound, Bogue Inlet, and the Atantic Ocean. Our skiff is on a lift behind our home, and our community has a boat ramp, day dock, pool, club house, and boat storage.

There are numerous communities along and near Bogue Sound that offer a variety of features and amenities. There is plenty to choose from in the area. You just have to find the right features and a place that feels right for you.

This is an online slideshow from our dock down the White Oak and out to Bogue Inlet.

If you are able to make a trip to the area and decide on what you like, there are a number of realtors including me on the forum who are experts in particular areas.

It is hard to see the best parts of the area, because the neatest spots are often tucked away on small roads and not on the main roads. We would never have found our spot without the help of a real estate agent.

I like to joke that the Intracoastal Waterway is our main street. The best access to the ocean is out either Beaufort or Bogue Inlets. Emerald Isle has the easiest access to beaches followed by Fort Macon State Park which is near Atlantic Beach. There are great trails over by the White Oak in Croatan Cedar Point Access.

Also Croatan High School which is the school for the western end of the county recently won an award as one of the top high schools in the country.

No matter where you settle in this area, it is a great spot to live. There are lots of wonderful community oriented festivals.

Like many others on the forum, I am glad to answer questions. I can point you to areas if you let me know more specifics.

Finally here are our reasons for picking Carteret County over other equally scenic places and why we love the area.

Last edited by dsobotta; 11-27-2009 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: wrong word
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina