Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2008, 09:03 AM

32 posts, read 130,091 times

Advertisements

I currently live in new york city, but my grandmother passed away a couple years ago and she left my family some "Heir" property in bertie county. I wanted to know if anyone could kinda give me an idea about the process of splitting up the land and dividing it among the 6 adult heirs and 3 minor heirs. Also, I was thinking really hard about building a home on my share of the land (I am married with two young children) what have any of you heard about Bertie county? Would it be wise to build in that town? Or should I just buy some land elsewhere? The land is about 30 acres or so and has been in the family for years and years. I am the only one interested at this time in building a home on this land. I was also looking at pitt county, greenville for homes as well, would this be better than windsor? Thank you all for your help.

Last edited by Felicia327; 12-05-2008 at 09:31 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 12:16 PM

14 posts, read 36,667 times
I would go with Greenville, their is nothing in Windsor.
Coming from a NYC life is a very extreme adjustment. I was sent to Windsor every summer to visit my grandparents and alls I can remember is sitting on the porch crying everyday because I had nothing to do and no kids to play with.

Now, as an adult when I do visit my mom (she retired back down there several years ago), Im ready to high-tail it out of there after a week. Im used to walking out my door to the nearest convience store, but in that area you have to get in your car for everything. The entire area is just so under-developed.

Good Luck!

Old 03-02-2009, 10:14 AM

32 posts, read 130,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reezz View Post
I would go with Greenville, their is nothing in Windsor.
Coming from a NYC life is a very extreme adjustment. I was sent to Windsor every summer to visit my grandparents and alls I can remember is sitting on the porch crying everyday because I had nothing to do and no kids to play with.

Now, as an adult when I do visit my mom (she retired back down there several years ago), Im ready to high-tail it out of there after a week. Im used to walking out my door to the nearest convience store, but in that area you have to get in your car for everything. The entire area is just so under-developed.

Good Luck!
Reezz, thank you!! I took a trip down to Windsor the first week of January and I was shocked...It's exactly the way it was back in 1997!! No Notable improvements whatsoever.. Its just sad for people who own property there...its like we have this property and I would love to build on it, but my childrn are of elementary school age and they would not thrive in that poor school system... I was even looking into private schools down there, yet I'm not sure much diversity exists in those schools....many of the private schools list themselves as being 99 percent white. Also, I am currently in Nursing school here in New York, after which I'd love to really move south, and work as a Registered Nurse. Homes in New York are Over-priced...How long has your mom lived in windsor? My grand parents and great grandparents both came from windsor....the Outlaws and Taylor's.... Thanks for writing back, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

Old 03-02-2009, 10:53 AM

14 posts, read 36,667 times
No prob.
My parents were both born and raised down there, moved to CT 35 yrs ago to find better work. My mom just went back to retire about 5 years ago. My parents are Peele/Watson. One of my aunts lives in Brooklyn (shes gonna be moving to Maryland soon) shes a Peele-Rascoe.

Old 12-28-2009, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 3,264 times
Default About Windsor

Felicia:

I read your comments about Windsor and am interested because I have been some African American family history there, though I live now in Chicago.

I agree w/ Reez. While there are some awfully nice folks there, there seems to be very little for kids (and adults) to do in the town.

I am intrigued by your reference to the Outlaws and the Taylors - and their being related. Do you have any first names of Outlaw relatives back as far as the early 1900's? Any connection to Indian Woods? And is there a John Taylor among your ancestors - who went to Shaw University?

Please be in touch if you have any info. Would love to share w/ you what I've learned.

Isabel Carter
12.29/09

Reezz, thank you!! I took a trip down to Windsor the first week of January and I was shocked...It's exactly the way it was back in 1997!! No Notable improvements whatsoever.. Its just sad for people who own property there...its like we have this property and I would love to build on it, but my childrn are of elementary school age and they would not thrive in that poor school system... I was even looking into private schools down there, yet I'm not sure much diversity exists in those schools....many of the private schools list themselves as being 99 percent white. Also, I am currently in Nursing school here in New York, after which I'd love to really move south, and work as a Registered Nurse. Homes in New York are Over-priced...How long has your mom lived in windsor? My grand parents and great grandparents both came from windsor....the Outlaws and Taylor's.... Thanks for writing back, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina