Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2010, 11:12 AM

16 posts, read 79,306 times

Advertisements

okay, so I have been trying to figure out where to visit/eventually move to in June. I am looking for an area within 20 to 30 minutes of the ocean, not extremely touristy or in central hurricane-ville. My husband and I can work basically anywhere with our backgrounds, but would like a place that has access to some pretty good schools with low crime. Does this place exist? And yes, I am willing to travel to larger areas for work, but we would like to live near the water. Any help is greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 11:45 AM

148 posts, read 611,113 times
Every area up and down the coast has it gets and wants....visit one place it has many gets, but you have wants in that area also...

I chose where I live for all the right reasons, low crime, great schools, scenic area close to the water, rural with bigger towns around, great restuarants...etc...You will really need to visit a place....

But I believe my area is a great place to start...

Old 01-04-2010, 04:32 AM

Yes, Steve you are absolutely right about that, I would have to say our first priority is close to water, within 30 minutes, then low crime, good jobs.. where is your area?

Old 01-04-2010, 02:04 PM

148 posts, read 611,113 times
Swansboro-Cape Carteret....the best area around in my humble opinion....just contact me under my profile if you need housing assistance...

Old 01-04-2010, 03:18 PM

Thank your for this... so, you can help us find a place to stay too? We want to rent for a couple of years until we are totally sure

Old 01-05-2010, 06:49 PM

8 posts, read 45,390 times
Default Good Decision

You are in Good Hands with Steve.....Once again I extend my offer to assist with any additional questions you have.....Also your interests? Work? Hobbies?Children?.....

Contact me anytime....

With Faith,
idesignsi

Old 01-06-2010, 06:13 PM

21 posts, read 56,191 times
What are your interests? Are you looking for a somewhat city life at the beach or more of an isolated area. Wilmington area is one of the biggest coastal cities in the area and offers the most "big city" items because of the large university located there. What brings you to the area to start and we all may be able to pin down a better area for you.

Craig

Old 01-06-2010, 09:02 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
I am not a realtor.

I have lived in Brunswick County, I live in New Bern (Craven County) and spend a lot of time in Morehead City/Beaufort, and considerable time in Swansboro (Carteret County), fishing and eating (since I cannot catch the otherwise VERY ABUNDANT fish up here!)

There is no right answer, but I would place Swansboro and New Bern ahead of Brunswick County EASILY. Only thing that would not put Beaufort at the very top is cost of living where I would want to in Beaufort cause, I could not afford it.

New Bern is 45 minutes from coast, maybe a bit longer, but is 4 lanes and other than the hell of going through Havelock, it is VERY EASY. New Bern's advantage, is medical and it is the same 45 minutes closer to the rest of the state. If medical is an issue, without question New Bern has the best medical facilities (though those in Wilmington, just east of Brunswick are good as well).

One thing that is utterly indisputable is the quality of the ocean off the coast of Carteret and Brunswick) The water is much clearer/bluer, etc off Carteret than anywhere off Brunswick with the exception of BHI, between Cape Fear and the Cape Fear River.

Brunswick has advantages too, especially if you play golf, but I much prefer the Craven/Carteret area to Brunswick, and again, I have lived in both and have 0 agenda. You can probably get more house for the dollar in Brunswick, but you need a Realtor for that determination.

Good Luck

lln

Old 01-07-2010, 04:15 AM

2,309 posts, read 6,100,090 times
I swear. Real estate agents ought to be banned from recommending places to live. 2 real estate agents responded and both of them said their place is the best. Imagine that. Vultures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina