Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 06:34 AM

7 posts, read 32,511 times

Advertisements

Hello

My husband and I are looking to relocate to NC, and the company that he works for has a location in New Bern. I'm looking for recommendations for places to relocate to in that general area. Doesn't have to be New Bern, commuting distance works too. We have a toddler, and would like to move somewhere that has a good public school system, other families with young kids, etc. We're looking to spend no more than $325kish.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 10:24 AM

79 posts, read 313,508 times
New Bern is within 45 min of both Jacksonville and Greenville. I'd say either of those towns probably have better schools than New Bern (in my opinion) but New Bern is a nice place to live. I grew up about 15 min from there.

Old 06-30-2007, 06:28 PM

1,554 posts, read 4,550,929 times
If you want to make friends for yourself and your toddlers look up meetup.com and click stay at home moms for your area. I am in MOMS Club of Southport,NC and I meet great moms and family this way.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:43 PM

49 posts, read 272,089 times
Good news and bad.... The cost of living in New Bern is great, you can find a nice house in the $300k range. Bad news, NC schools are not the best. My children spent 4 years in NC schools and were all two years behind when we moved to Maryland. But now that the kids are gone, I am looking forward to moving back to NC because of all the other wonderful things about it. Find a nice private school and enjoy......

Old 07-12-2007, 09:27 AM

7 posts, read 68,996 times
Default Moving to New Bern w/High Schooler

We have purchased a lot in New Bern (Fairfield Harbour and planned on moving in 2 years when our high schooler graduates. Now we are thinking of moving next year and having him do his Senior year in New Bern. What is the local High School like? Does anyone know how we can get him introduced to local High School kids in Fairfield?

Old 07-25-2007, 12:17 PM

12 posts, read 58,235 times
Carolina Coulors is great and new, Don't know the prices though. You can also probably find something nice in Trent Woods.
I don't live in either of those places, but they are nice and I think they are pretty safe.

The best elementary school is Brinson
I went to HJ MacDonald and I loved it there, I also went to New Bern, and didn't feel safe or well taken care of (had my bookbag/purse stolen...and there witnessed lots of fights)
There are a couple of new catholic hs, and they are building a new public high school, but haven't heard much about it.

Last edited by kylamaerae; 07-25-2007 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: adding info

Old 07-26-2007, 04:36 AM

49 posts, read 272,089 times
We built a house in Carolina Colours, they have something for every price range. This is our retirement house, so we did go a little overboard, but you can probably find a house for a lot less. The area around Carolina Commons looks like great place for kids, right in the middle of the recreational facilities. That part of town is really taking off. There are a lot of homes for sale in Taberna, our builder told us that a lot of folks are moving from there to Colours.

Old 07-26-2007, 09:04 AM

713 posts, read 3,929,075 times
Smile Our neighbor commutes to New Bern

Quote:
Originally Posted by codysmama View Post
Hello

My husband and I are looking to relocate to NC, and the company that he works for has a location in New Bern. I'm looking for recommendations for places to relocate to in that general area. Doesn't have to be New Bern, commuting distance works too. We have a toddler, and would like to move somewhere that has a good public school system, other families with young kids, etc. We're looking to spend no more than $325kish.

Thanks!
I'm not exactly sure how long it takes him, but I am guessing on the order of 35 or 40 minutes. We live on the White Oak River up Route 58 about 5 miles from Emerald Isle.

Our kids are long gone from public school but I know many folks like the schools in our area.

I can suggest this link on the area schools.

Our area which is a series of small towns would fit all your other qualifications.

Here is a Moderator cut: link removed which is one of my favorites.

As to finding which area fits you, I find this a helpful site.

This is a Carteret County page (broken link) which has population information by zip code and other demographic information.

I think it will aid you in your search since the previous site works well with zip codes.

If you come up with some questions and want a local opinion, send me a note or give me a call.

-David Sobotta

PS- There are lots of links to online slide shows of the area at this site.

Last edited by Yac; 11-02-2007 at 06:36 AM..

Old 07-27-2007, 12:17 PM

1 posts, read 3,095 times
Hi, I was wondering if anyone had any advice for which apartment complexes in New Bern are good to live at and which ones to stay away from? I just accepted a job and am moving down in the next week or so, and am coming down this weekend. Any help would be much appreciated!

Old 07-29-2007, 10:55 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomgirl View Post
We have purchased a lot in New Bern (Fairfield Harbour and planned on moving in 2 years when our high schooler graduates. Now we are thinking of moving next year and having him do his Senior year in New Bern. What is the local High School like? Does anyone know how we can get him introduced to local High School kids in Fairfield?
Where are you from Tomgirl??

That is a very important question to be asked before I would move my child to New Bern for his or her senior year.

1st off, I went to Brinson and HJ....both very good schools. New Bern high is kind of rough though. The reason is it's the only high school in New Bern right now and it is over crowded. I hear the city might be building a new high school in James City....not sure though.

New Bern High has lots of fights, things do get stolen. Lots of kids from the projects go there. If you are not smart....it can be dangerous. (yes, I had things stolen) (yes, I saw some very violent fights)

New Bern is a great town, but wait till your kid graduates.

If New Bern had a second high school, I would say go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina