Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2010, 08:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,575,357 times

Advertisements

I dont get it why are we shipping the same material that was used in the failed airline bomb used Christmas Day to our ports.
What use could be had at the civilian level? If it was for military use why wasn't it handled by our military. Why not use a naval port instead.
Here we allow an obviously inexperience forklift driver who ended up puncturing one of the containers. I dont understand why we are shipping this at the civilian level?.

http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/81225002.html

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 08:22 PM

983 posts, read 3,992,080 times
It's used in explosives, such as leveling buildings, blowing up rock (road construction)..... And I think I read it has some medicinal purpose in small amounts in something..

Old 01-14-2010, 09:04 PM

572 posts, read 1,612,484 times
My understanding is that the cargo was destined for a military base. Obviously the stuff isn't that volitile if you can puncture it with a forklift and nothing happens. The terrorist couldn't get the stuff to blow up either.

I used to work in a gun shop in Fayetteville years ago and all of our pistol and rifle ammo along with canisters of gun powder used in ammo reloading was all shipped via UPS or Fedex. Hazardous materials, weapons and ammo are shipped by civilian transportation all the time. The fact that we rarely hear about it demonstrates to me that it must be pretty safe. Keep in mind that the military doesn't manufacture anything. Civilian companies manufacture rockets, jets, ships, guns, ammo, ect for the military so if they can manufacture it why can't they transport it?

Old 01-15-2010, 09:13 AM

983 posts, read 3,992,080 times
My husband works with the Highway Patrol and inspects trucks occasionally (he's not a Motor Carrier Officer). You'd be surprised what goes up and down the highways and byways of North Carolina. You never know what's in a truck next to you on the interstates.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:54 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,575,357 times
thanks. Im kinda naive on this topic and if we didnt have that almost Christmas Day incident this probably wouldnt have made news thanks

Old 01-15-2010, 09:56 AM

2,256 posts, read 6,964,421 times
Understand you can make a serious bomb just from everything you can get at a Walmart.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:35 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,907,853 times
The port in MHC is used by the military. Has been for decades as these pictures show Marines Leaving From Morehead City source:life - Google Search

In fact right now there are Marines loading up on ships at the MHC port en route to Haiti. Wimlington is used as well. You have two of the largest bases in the Army and the Marines in NC, alot of miltary goods are moved through those ports and our highways. There are four lanes highways connecting Wilmington specifically with Jacksonville, Fayetteville, and Goldsboro for this very reason. 117 extension off of I-40 into Goldsboro, for example. Also a major reason for the designation and creation of 795. It even plays a big part in why certain roads on the eastern part of the state are constantly being paved, and repaved while roads elsewhere are neglected.

Edit: In additon, in the event of national emergency or military operations, the roads will be cleared for military use. i remember back in early 03 when we were loading up ships in Wilmington for the Iraq invasion. From Havelock all to Wilmington we drove straight through without stopping. Every town down 70, 24, and 17 had the cops waiting at the city limits going ahead of the convoy clearing the road and blocking people from entering these main thoroughfares. It was a 3 mile long convoy.

http://www.starnewsonline.com/articl...lem-for-police
http://www.starnewsonline.com/articl...0308?p=1&tc=pg

Last edited by macjr82; 01-15-2010 at 03:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina