Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2010, 09:07 AM

6 posts, read 19,024 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Wilmington in August of this year and we're doing preliminary research on apartments in the area.

We're young and will be attending UNCW. I've read that many apartments close to campus are poorly maintained, have bad/rude/loud tenants, and are in/close to bad areas, so we don't necessarily need to live very close to campus.

We're looking for a 1br/1ba that is in a safe area and is inexpensive.

So far, I like what I've read about Governours Square Apartments. They have really good reviews on ApartmentRatings, but you never know if those glowing reviews were written by office staff.

Does anyone have any info on Governours Square Apartments? Or any other low-priced ($650/mo or less for 1br/1ba), safe apartments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 12:02 PM

572 posts, read 1,612,086 times
Governors Square is a descent apartment complex. If you're cool with a 1 bedroom, 1 bath you might want to check out Campus Walk. It's next to the college so you can walk to class and not deal with parking. I had a freind that stayed there several years ago and they are kinda nice inside.

Old 01-14-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
Governors Square is a descent apartment complex. If you're cool with a 1 bedroom, 1 bath you might want to check out Campus Walk. It's next to the college so you can walk to class and not deal with parking. I had a freind that stayed there several years ago and they are kinda nice inside.
Thanks. I initially considered Campus Walk because of its close proximity to campus and the rent is low, but the reviews I've read of it say it's in a bad area/bad itself.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:08 PM

572 posts, read 1,612,086 times
I wouldn't call Campus Walk a bad area. It borders the campus and is surrounded by other apartment complexes that are primarily occupied by college students. It sounds like you'd be more comfortable at Governors Square though.

Old 01-14-2010, 03:54 PM

23 posts, read 99,998 times
I currently live in a 1 br apartment at Governours Square, and as far as the facilities, maintenance, staff it's above and beyond anything I rented in college or the place I paid about $200 a month more for in Raleigh. The community is somewhat older, but it's very friendly. Plenty of washers and dryers in the laundry room so I've never had to wait. As far as safety, I don't want to jinx it, but I haven't heard of any issues here since I moved in around September. It's very close to grocery stores and the mall so that isn't an issue. Traffic to school might be an issue depending on what you're used to/what time you need to go to class. There's another apartment complex further south (forget the name, didn't check it out, but I think it's on apartment ratings) that is also in your price range if you want another alternative. I guess if you have more specific questions I can help you a little better...but for once I think the ratings on that site are mostly genuine residents and not staffers.

Edit: They do allow pets...but I have yet to step in anything walking the grounds. They do a pretty good job on landscaping and upkeep in general.

Last edited by redmch91; 01-14-2010 at 03:58 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 01-14-2010, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmch91 View Post
I currently live in a 1 br apartment at Governours Square, and as far as the facilities, maintenance, staff it's above and beyond anything I rented in college or the place I paid about $200 a month more for in Raleigh. The community is somewhat older, but it's very friendly. Plenty of washers and dryers in the laundry room so I've never had to wait. As far as safety, I don't want to jinx it, but I haven't heard of any issues here since I moved in around September. It's very close to grocery stores and the mall so that isn't an issue. Traffic to school might be an issue depending on what you're used to/what time you need to go to class. There's another apartment complex further south (forget the name, didn't check it out, but I think it's on apartment ratings) that is also in your price range if you want another alternative. I guess if you have more specific questions I can help you a little better...but for once I think the ratings on that site are mostly genuine residents and not staffers.

Edit: They do allow pets...but I have yet to step in anything walking the grounds. They do a pretty good job on landscaping and upkeep in general.
Thanks so much for the detailed response! I think this pretty much covers everything I was wondering about the apartments. It sounds perfect for us. We're not looking for anything amazing, just a decent, safe place to live. Governours Square is definitely at the top of our list, we just need to take a tour of it now! Thanks again!

Old 01-16-2010, 04:48 PM

135 posts, read 640,865 times
I would NOT recommend Campus Walk. While I have a few male friends living there, I would not feel safe living there, not to mention that it's in an area that has been flooded in the past.

Old 01-16-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by historychic09 View Post
I would NOT recommend Campus Walk. While I have a few male friends living there, I would not feel safe living there, not to mention that it's in an area that has been flooded in the past.
Thanks for the warning! The cheap rent is tempting, but I'd rather pay more for safety.

Old 01-17-2010, 06:43 PM

135 posts, read 640,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klstone View Post
Thanks for the warning! The cheap rent is tempting, but I'd rather pay more for safety.
Yeah, I checked it out since my grad school advisor had it on the list of places to look for apartments, and it was a no-go.

I ended up (and usually recommend) mill creek, the one bedrooms are pretty nice, and i think that they're around 650. Many come with washers/dryers, and apart from the issues we had early on (carpet fleas) we haven't had a bad time here. The office people try to be prompt in addressing issues. Definitely worth a look.

areas that are near campus, or south of Wilmington in the monkey junction area are usually pretty safe.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,837 times
When my boyfriend and I were looking for an apartment in Wilmington, we personally preferred to stay away from the ones very near the college even though we are college students. Petty crime seems to be higher and the apartments don't look too great either. We ended up at Colonial Grand on St. Andrews Dr. in Monkey Junction and it's been pleasant staying here. The apartments look nice inside and out, and I have not felt unsafe at all in our 2 years of living here. While we pay $720 for a 1 bed, it is possible to get cheaper. Just depends on what deal they're running.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina