Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 07:50 AM

100 posts, read 295,510 times

Advertisements

I was checkiing trulia and you can buy a 4/3 with a pool in Vero Beach, Fl for less than $275K or a 3/2 with a pool on the ocean side for $400K.

What's the attraction of paying a lot more to live in coastal NC when Dec-Feb are cold?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2010, 09:00 AM

556 posts, read 622,764 times
Possible answers

1) July, Aug and Sept are too hot.
2) Taxes are lower
3) Lots of rentals to cover costs with transient neighbors
4) some people actually like some change is seasons

Old 02-22-2010, 09:38 AM

160 posts, read 789,974 times
You can buy a home on one of the NC barrier islands for less than 275k.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanalsLB View Post
Possible answers

1) July, Aug and Sept are too hot.
2) Taxes are lower
3) Lots of rentals to cover costs with transient neighbors
4) some people actually like some change is seasons
I cannot find any evidence (same distance from the water) that Florida is any warmer in July, August and September than costal Carolinas? According to city-data temps are the same highs but Vero has lower lows and lower humidity during that time frame.

As far as taxes, best I could come up with is on a $350K house, you will pay $3800 in property taxes, there is no state income tax in Fl and the sales tax is 7% however groceries ae exempt.

I am assuming that I won't be a renter when I am not there. Too many family members.

How come most houses in Florida come with a pool, a lanai, and a two car garage whereas most ones in costal Carolinas do not?

I'm thinking that FL is just too far to drive for most.

Old 02-22-2010, 02:44 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipsip View Post
I was checkiing trulia and you can buy a 4/3 with a pool in Vero Beach, Fl for less than $275K or a 3/2 with a pool on the ocean side for $400K.

What's the attraction of paying a lot more to live in coastal NC when Dec-Feb are cold?

first, those are just asking prices. coastal NC homes are NOT priced to move, whereas Florida homes are.

offhand, i'd say that Florida is full of out-of-state (NY, NJ, OH) vacation homes that were bought for the purpose of price appreciation.

compare that to coastal NC, where you're talking about houses owned by folks from Charlotte and Raleigh, who actually use them as vacation homes, and have a different attitude toward real estate than your average Florida speculator.

you are correct about weather. I can't speak for NC -- but I know for a fact that South Carolina (Columbia) has hotter summers than Miami. Florida only feels tropical in the winter; in the summer it is no different than the rest of the deep south.

Also consider the homestead exemption. Long-time Florida homeowners get a crazy discount on property taxes, while newcomers get totally screwed. NC actually has a sane, logical system of assessing property taxes, where we don't take people who recently bought real estate, strip them naked and publicly cane them like they do down in Florida.

i will also add that Florida has a general reputation of having really terrible people.

Last edited by le roi; 02-22-2010 at 03:00 PM..

Old 02-22-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
first, those are just asking prices. coastal NC homes are NOT priced to move, whereas Florida homes are.

offhand, i'd say that Florida is full of out-of-state (NY, NJ, OH) vacation homes that were bought for the purpose of price appreciation.

compare that to coastal NC, where you're talking about houses owned by folks from Charlotte and Raleigh, who actually use them as vacation homes, and have a different attitude toward real estate than your average Florida speculator.

you are correct about weather. I can't speak for NC -- but I know for a fact that South Carolina (Columbia) has hotter summers than Miami. Florida only feels tropical in the winter; in the summer it is no different than the rest of the deep south.

Also consider the homestead exemption. Long-time Florida homeowners get a crazy discount on property taxes, while newcomers get totally screwed. NC actually has a sane, logical system of assessing property taxes, where we don't take people who recently bought real estate, strip them naked and publicly cane them like they do down in Florida.

i will also add that Florida has a general reputation of having really terrible people.
So the prices are more firm than in FL?

Those who establish the home as their primary residence in FL get a pretty good deal. $50K exemption from the state and over 65's get an additional $25 from the county + over 65's can defer the portion of the tax that exceeds 3 percent of your household income for the previous year.

Most of the people in FL are transplants.

Still wondering why you get a 2 car garage, a lanai room, and a pool with most properties in FL and not in coastal NC.

Old 02-22-2010, 05:46 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Just remember, it has recently gotten very hard to get insurance for a beach home in NC and it is very expensive when you do find one willing to insure your home.

Old 02-22-2010, 07:11 PM

33 posts, read 105,218 times
All the houses we looked at when moving here had 2 car garages and lanais. So, no there are very very few private pools but the other 2 are very common and we were looking in a much lower price range than you mentioned. Now, we were looking to live not vacation but we are only 10 minutes to the beach and have 2 of the 3 features you mentioned (no pool but we didn't want one anyway for our particular lifestyle).

Old 02-23-2010, 10:54 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,030,354 times
Look up the term "Half Backs". It was created as a result of the great number of New Englanders that moved to Florida then moved half way back to escape.
Also look up hurricanes. Look what Florida has experienced the past 10 years and what NC has experienced. No comparison
Insurance? Look that one up too. NC is nothing in comparison to the problems, rates, and cancellations that FL has had.
Florida insurer ends home policies after rate hike fails - Jan. 27, 2009

Old 02-23-2010, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Look up the term "Half Backs". It was created as a result of the great number of New Englanders that moved to Florida then moved half way back to escape.
Also look up hurricanes. Look what Florida has experienced the past 10 years and what NC has experienced. No comparison
Insurance? Look that one up too. NC is nothing in comparison to the problems, rates, and cancellations that FL has had.
Florida insurer ends home policies after rate hike fails - Jan. 27, 2009
According to HurricaneCity, Wilmington and Vero Beach, FL are equally at risk and Cape Hatteras is #2.

The rates in coastal NC are approaching FL rates and will probably equal out in a couple of years if the insurance companies have their way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina