Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2010, 05:06 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,661,012 times

Advertisements

Ok....( trying again) A few days ago I went to visit the coastal towns of the Calabash, Ocean Isle, and Sunset Beach.
Sunset beach, as you will see, will no longer have the wooden bridge soon. The bridge out to the island will be huge, tall, and no more one lane switching. As beautiful as it is...........I love the one lane, wooden.....it will be missed as progress rolls along.

Fishing boats at the Calabash, NC

The way out to Ocean Isle

The Ocean Isle beach.......A few hurricanes swept away the homes that once stood here. We go and look for the "last standing" home each year.
So happy to see it still stands.

These second row homes are now ocean front, after one big hurricane.

The little one way....one lane...wooden bridge and the new, tall, and mighty bridge

I'll continue this so I know it forwards.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2010, 05:21 PM

Continued........My day trip to North Carolina and its coastal towns.

This is the Ocean Isle Pier......Just beautiful and inviting.
A man flying a kite at Ocean Isle........

Sunset Beach pictures.......Soothing and relaxing area!

A peaceful path to the beach...........

The Calabash Creamery we always stop at...

But we went here because the other was closed....Sweet Magnolia is newly owned by a man from NJ and we talked for a good hour with him. Just over the border in Little River, SC

But before I left the border of NC I saw this fellow..... The same one I think I always capture ( well not really capture)........on film anyhow....He patrols at one of the golf courses but off the beaten path...
No need to worry...he just stays in the pond, or there on the bank...it seems.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:20 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,376,254 times
These are great! Thanks for posting them!!! I've never been to the coast, but these pictures really make me want to.

Old 02-06-2010, 07:51 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,050,852 times
Summering- Thank you for the wonderful tour! What a great day!

The bridge to Sunset Beach is progressing well. When we were there in September, all the pilings were in place and there were 7 or 8 of the spans erected. Looks like it is almost finished.

I love the old pontoon bridge and don't mind waiting to cross. This big ole bridge seems out of scale for where you are leaving and where you are going. Do you know if they will disable the swing bridge?

Love the pics of the Calabash fishing port, we've bought tons of shrimp off those boats.

Thanks for a brief respite from a very snowy day here in central Jersey

Old 02-07-2010, 07:38 AM

ILNC ...you must get to the shore. Its so beautiful. It draws me to it up in NC each and every year.

The first time I went up was after the hurricane damage in Ocean Isle. ( not sure what occured at Sunset Beach) At that time a home was way out in the ocean. Roads washed away, along with homes.
Streets that were second row, now became ocean front. Every year we go to one home we saw at the edge of all the damage.......say a prayer.......and hope it is still standing. We look at the little sign with their name on it and say....."there you are still standing, the B's home." This year we saw another home on the edge. Just those bladder bags of sand hold the sand in place. That home was for sale!!
I can see what draws people to Sunset and Ocean Isle though......peacefulness......and days way back when our own states had a more peaceful setting.
jersey......( I am a native of jersey)........I'm not sure of the pontoon bridge. I don't think it will stay at all though. The high bridge for sure is to let the boat traffic flow nicely........the little guy must go.
I too love the feel of the wooden bridge heading to the quiet peaceful beach at Sunset......
The feel of that will be lost soon.......Sadly.
( I will post a few more pictures later, stop back.....)

Old 02-08-2010, 12:25 PM

Coastal North Carolina.........

The fishing fleet will arrive with the 'best seafoods"....That is what the Calabash area is known for. Very interesting area. Lots of restaurants...

View from the bridge.......peaceful and awesome.

On Ocean Isle beach..........this captured sign.....

More of the new bridge......I think we will all miss the wooden bridge, even with delays.......

The New bridge seen above seems close to being finished...

Below is the Sunset Beach area...

There is a surreal peacefulness at Sunset Beach.......Not far from the Calabash, NC. Perhaps it was from the little wooden bridge access over the waterway..........It just is so calming.
I think that Ocean Isle does indeed have the same charm.....just a bit more homes there, and some on the edge.. against all odds with Mother Nature...

Old 02-11-2010, 06:35 AM

They just did an article on Ocean Isle in the local paper. Those homes you see on here with the sand road.......
They are three streets in from where the Isle use to be, rather then just having been oceanside.
I should have put that together because of the year we went and saw a home way out in the ocean. There it stood with the ocean all around. They lost a lot of land and homes in that huge storm that year.
Amazing to see the shots of all the homes supported by the sand bags. The only thing holding the ocean back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina