Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2014, 07:34 PM

720 posts, read 1,708,726 times

Advertisements

May I add, at less than $50/month, we have, in excellent condition, an L_shaped pool, a clubhouse, tennis courts, a small boat launch/pier and a 300+ foot fishing pier . No golf courses thank god.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2014, 06:58 PM

8 posts, read 17,909 times
Default Fairfield Harbour, Best Community of the Year, 2 yrs straight!

Pete Drez writes, “This community has way too many old folks that do not know what they are talking and writing about, but have nothing better to do than spread constant misinformation. It seems that many believe that if they say something often enough it will somehow become factual. Another characteristic of the uninformed is they always blame someone else for whatever they see as a problem ...”

In this, one of his closing paragraphs, Pete Drez aptly describes himself. Pete has lived in Fairfield Harbour for nearly sixteen years, and, in all that time, we Harbourites have heard nothing from him but criticism and negative comments. Instead of contributing, he disparages. Instead of participating, he alienates. For a man who owns a home here for that long, isn't it odd that he continues to stay? And isn't it odd that he continues to do everything in his power to discourage others from coming to the community that, apparently, he doesn't want to leave?

He criticizes the elections for not being fair, yet conveniently neglects to mention that ballots are mailed by property owners to a certified public accounting firm which counts them, and yes, disqualifies those ballots who have not been signed properly, or whose signers have not paid their POA dues by the May 1st deadline. The results remain in a sealed envelope until opened by a representative from the accounting firm at the Annual Community Meeting. The POA BOD does not handle the ballots at any time.

As usual, the results were not to Pete Drez's liking. BOD opponents lost resoundingly. He refuses to accept the obvious -- that we elect eminently qualified, pro-community candidates. We're justifiably proud that our BOD has led our community in a very positive direction. He can't accept the fact that, with our BOD's leadership, Fairfield Harbour has been recognized by the Community Associations Institute, North Carolina chapter, as the Best Large Mixed Use Community of the Year for an unprecedented two years in a row. One gentleman who was elected to the BOD this year, received CAI-NC's Volunteer of the Year, our manager was honored as Manager of the Year and our president, whom Drez dismisses as a non-business person, was awarded Board Member of Distinction by the same CAI-NC CAI North Carolina - Community Associations Institute Chapter and Fairfield Harbour

Drez cites the bus stop issue as being a major cause for dissension. What he neglects to mention is that the bus stop was on a dangerous corner, with limited sighting. What responsible person wouldn't want youngsters kept safe? Buses now pick up and drop off students on major roads within the safety of the Harbour.

Drez mentions the approximately 250 attendees at our annual community meeting. What he doesn't mention is that 250 is near capacity for the facility available. Drez has threatened yet another of his lawsuits if we try to expand our meeting facilities.

I could offer a detailed rebuttal for each of his half-truths and outright misrepresentations, but I have better things to do. Briefly, if you agree with Pete Drez, if you absolutely hate the idea of community and cooperation, friendship and camaraderie, neighborliness and volunteerism, if you'd rather spend your years disparaging and complaining, then, please, please, do as Poodlecamper has done, and “bless” some other area. Stay away from Fairfield Harbour! One Pete Drez is enough, thank you.

However, if you can look past the ramblings of a disgruntled resident, if you believe in making up your own mind, then please stop by. Look at our lovely, well-kept homes, our Harbour Pointe Golf Course, our marinas and access to deep water, our many clubs and activities, our volunteerism in our community and in nearby historic New Bern, and witness our love for our terrific community. If this is the life for you, then, we'd love to have you!

Old 09-01-2014, 08:21 AM

120 posts, read 233,634 times
So, we have another person who disagrees with the facts I offer with opinions and is so convinced of their position that they do not identify themself. Folks, the facts are the facts, and I welcome a healthy discussion of any and all facts related to this community.

Let me just offer a few corrections to what has been offered up by my closet critic. I was a happy camper in FFH until about 5 years ago, when the Board, comprised mainly of newcomers, decided that contracts, and state statutes were for others to follow, and when I and others objected to having our future dues used as security for a $10M loan to buy a failed business, my wife and I and another couple were sued by the POA. We prevailed in three separate court decisions and the POA was told in no uncertain terms that the rules applied to them. At this point many resorted to grammar school behavior because they did not get their way in the courts. Add to this very evident stress in the community, the real estate down turn where many new comers became unside down in their homes, and the community imploded with everyone blaming someone else for their situation. And this situation continues today, as evidenced by my critics posting. The overall animosity among residents continues, yielding a community in a continuing downward spiral, in my opinion.

So my critic can claim fair elections where the POA provides a list of disqualified voters before the voting is conducted, can claim an election process that violates the bylaws is OK, can claim awards from a lobbying group that receive donations of our dues to lobby for more restrictive planned community statutes are meaningful, how unsafe a bus stop was that existed for years without a single incident, how an annual meeting with a third of the chairs empty is a capacity issue, and how love overflows in the community, leading me to believe intentional misrepresentation of reality.

Finally, with the overflowing love of the POA, on 8/11/14 they took a group of 20 property owners to court, myself included, claiming they were entitled to recover $30K in expenses from a prior completed court case. The final order is yet to be issued by the Judge, thus all I can say is when the hearing was over, I walked out with a smile on my face, and every POA board member I saw was not smiling.

Hopefully one day I will have the pleasure of reporting community progress, and if that day arrives I will be here to report it, as I am here to stay. This community just offers too much that interest me, more than making up for some less than pleasant folks that live here.

Pete Drez

Old 09-02-2014, 01:30 PM

Default CAI too large to be influenced by dues

Pete Drez disparages CAI as a mere "lobbying group" easily bribed to convey awards to Fairfield Harbour. It must be apparent, even to Pete, that the dues from only one of the 15,000 member communities in CAI's 55 chapters throughout the US can not convey much weight when Community of the Year, Board Member of Distinction, and Manager of the Year awards are decided. (See their website at http://www.cai.org.) But, official recognition of Fairfield Harbour's worth is, understandably, difficult to accept for one so dedicated to its criticism.

And, yes, he is correct that our POA is seeking court costs for a frivolous lawsuit he and 23 others brought against our community. "Evidence" of supposed harassment and ill treatment was heard by a judge and was dismissed out of hand for having "no basis in fact." (A "surprise traffic stop" he claimed was designed just for him and his fellow litigants was, for example, revealed to have been publicly announced a month previous. Oops!)

He's got to be concerned, having paid three years of significant legal fees for a suit that was doomed from the start. Now, he faces the possibility of making restitution to the community. And, he's smiling?

Again, listen to Pete Drez, or, judge for yourself. If you're truly curious about life in the Harbour, the choice is obvious. Stop by! We'd love to make you welcome!

Old 09-02-2014, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,272 times
Poodlecamper,
Welcome to the Harbour. Lots of great people doing fun and beneficial things. You can be as involved as much or as little as you want in our clubs and associations. Well managed with an effective POA board. We Yankees fit right in. Current owner of our golf course going through an ongoing bankruptcy filing, however, course in great shape and they are still investing in it. Don't listen to the few naysayers. Every community has them. They are an annoyance, but every community has a few.

Old 09-02-2014, 09:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,249 times
Have lived in FH over 7 years. It is a wonderful community, very friendly and supportive. Don't listen to the ramblings of one or two unhappy people (you will find people like that everywhere). It is beyond reason why such unhappy people continue to live in a place that makes them so unhappy, I certainly wouldn't. It is your loss if you don't check out this very special place.

Old 09-03-2014, 06:58 AM

And now we have the closet cheer leaders, without facts or erronous "fake facts", flooding the forum with misinformation. "Very Content" and "Harborite529" offer but opinions and everyone is entitled to have opinions. But as I have written before, facts are what matter so let me address "Happy in FH" who states some fake facts, all of which are erronous.

First, awards. "Happy" would have you believe that the awards granted to "Fairfield Harbour" were national awards. Not so, all were the NC Chapter Awards, and the community competition was for "Extra Large Mixed Use Communities" only, of which I believe there are 2 or 3 in NC. And as announced by the POA President, the community award is not for the "best community" but for the one out of a couple that has made the "most progress". And we can all agree that FH probably has the biggest menu of possible progress. Those are the facts, so again you might wants to use this example to measure the significance of other claims from this member. My opinion is these awards are similar to awards given in Pee Wee Baseball/Football/etc. where anyone participating gets some kind of award. In this case participation is sending money.

Second the Conspiracy Suit. Everything stated in paragraph 2 and 3 is incorrect factually, absolutely everything. I am not going to educate the author by correcting each and every point made, just suggest if there are any facts to back up any of this, that "Happy" please post them for all to read. The forum members will not be seeing any, as there are none.

In closing I will make a claim that I have never provided this forum with a incorrect fact, and will not in the future. And a final closing opinion, that the first step in fixing a problem is accepting and understanding the problem. FH has way too many who are stuck in denial, and are willing to spread misinformation to represent that a problem does not exist. We as a community have to get every member past denial to make the progress that is so necessary.

Pete Drez

Last edited by PeteDrez; 09-03-2014 at 07:09 AM..

Old 09-04-2014, 07:15 AM

2,023 posts, read 3,237,998 times
Good grief. The same poster keeps writing positive comments about FFH using various new, fake accounts!

Old 09-04-2014, 12:16 PM

Default Good grief! What makes you say that?

Please don't assume that only two people live in Fairfield Harbour! Our community happens to have more than 2400 homes, and the great majority of our community members are very happy to be here. Why on earth would you assume only one person would be positive about living in FH? Good grief!

Old 09-04-2014, 04:53 PM

"Happy" is at it again. Offers one fact about 2400 homes in Fairfield Harbour and gets that fact totally wrong. No where near that number! But "Happy" seems so happy being wrong over and over. Who am I suggest a reality check for "Happy"?

Pete Drez
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina