Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2014, 12:28 PM

5 posts, read 11,430 times

Advertisements

A visitor drove into the Fuel mart and asked the clerk, I'm new to the area. What kind of place was this Fairfield Harbour? The clerk responded,,"What kind of town did you come from?" The visitor responded, "the people were grouchy, always complaining and are never satisfied". The clerk said, " Fairfield is that kind of place, you will see".

The next day another visitor drove into the Fuel mart and asked the clerk, I'm new to the area. What kind of place was this Fairfield Harbour? The clerk responded,,"What kind of town did you come from?" The visitor responded " All the neighbors were friendly, would help you out if you need something and are just great folks". The clerk said, " Fairfield is that kind of place, you will see".

You will find what you are looking for if you have a positive attitude and will not have to look far for good neighbors, if you are that kind of person. Come in with a chip on your shoulder and you will find a few like yourself. This is true where ever you go, trust me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 01:06 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,237,998 times
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Another "new" poster who's first post details their love of FFH. Even a blind person can see that it's the same poster with multiple fake accounts.

You can post a zillion different posts under a zillion different names/accounts. It won't change my opinion of FFH. I'm still not moving there.............

Old 09-05-2014, 02:05 PM

3 posts, read 5,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteDrez View Post
Escapenc, I thought I was clear on the facts to back up my opinion of your posting, but I will try again. Let’s start with the bankruptcy of Fairfield Harbour. Fairfield Harbour, the Property Owners Association or anything else with a name that includes Fairfield Harbour is not in bankruptcy. And to my knowledge there has never been a bankruptcy filing in the past 40 years by any entity with Fairfield Harbour in the name. The entity that did file Chapter 11 bankruptcy the first of this year is MidSouth Golf LLC, a single purpose North Carolina LLC. This LLC owns the two local golf courses, one operational and managed by Billy Casper Golf, the other shut down. Mid South Golf also owns two small marinas on the inner harbour, a tennis court, and other small limited value parcels. So, fact one, correction one to your posting is: Fairfield Harbour is not in bankruptcy and has never been.

Next lets deal with your comments on "flood plain/swamp". These two terms actually have little relationship, so I will deal with them separately. Let’s start with flood plain. "Flood Plain" is a FEMA evelation desigination, often referred to as the 100 year flood plain. Actually what it means is there is a one percent chance annually that flood waters fill cover the land. The current elevation of the FEMA 100 year flood plain in New Bern is 8 feet above sea level. Thus if your land sits at 8 feet elevation or less, above sea level, it is technically in the flood plain. And yes, the lot on which my house sits does border a man made canal on the north, which has a bulkhead with a top measurement of 3 feet above sea level. So at the bulkhead my property is in the flood plain. However, the property rises in elevation as you move south on it, and achieves an ultimate elevation of 10 feet above sea level, no longer in the flood plain. All structures on the property are on the 10 feet elevation area, thus my house is not in the flood plain and has a first finished floor elevation of 12.5 feet. Since you appear interested in the public record for my property, check the revised FEMA flood survey, available on line, to verify this information.

Now let’s address the term "swamp". Actually a better, well defined term is "wet lands". Yes, portions of Fairfield Harbour are reclaimed wet lands. Fairfield Harbour, notice the second word is "Harbour", is a man made canal community attracting those who treasure access to the water. The wet lands that were reclaimed were dug out on one side of the installed bulkheads and the spoils deposited on the other side of the bulkhead. As a point of interest this reclaiming was all done "dry" with no water in the canal system until it was completed. Also, prior to the canal construction, the entire area that we know as Fairfield Harbour, as well as the other side of the Neuse River suffered a forest fire that destroyed the timber farming of the land, which was its prior use. So, construction involved reclaiming the wet lands, developing an ICW deep water access canal system, and planting thousands of pine trees, that have developed into the beautiful community that exist today. If you love the water, have to have a close by protected, well managed marina, or have to have your boat behind your house, with cruising access to anywhere in the world, Fairfield Harbour is the answer to your dreams. Need a golf course, want to play many rounds golf, the choices are endless, and Fairfield Harbour may not be the best choice.

And like it or not Taberna's golf facilities have had financial problems resulting in bankruptcy twice and MidSouth has just file the first bankruptcy ever, associated their golf course properties. Golf is a dying sport, there are too many facilities versus players, and the fixed costs to operate a golf course are unaffordable for anything other than a facility with 500 or more free spending members. In eastern NC the competitive cost cutting to attrach the limited number of available players has the industry is a death spiral. And although I do not follow the golf industry closely, comments from those that do tell me this problem is wide spread.

Now let’s talk real estate prices. That $450K sale down the street. Do not know what value there is in such an isolated statement. If the property sold for $600K to the previous owner, bad news. If the previous owner paid $300K, great news for him. But just your one data point is useless.

And finally, if you want to understand the core problem in Fairfield Harbour, it is the people that live here and the attitude of some. For more details I suggest a trip down to the Craven County Court House and a request to the Superior Court Clerk for a copy of 11 CVS 338.

Pete Drez

Pete,

Taberna was taken over by new ownership & management company. The course is in excellent condition, and they have gained over 80 new members in the past year. They are doing more than okay!

Old 09-05-2014, 02:49 PM

1 posts, read 2,623 times
We moved to Fairfield Harbour over 9 years ago, and we love it here. We have made wonderful friends here from all over the country. New Bern is a delightful town with many activities. No matter what your interests, there is an activity in Fairfield Harbour for you. We also boast the largest group of volunteers in the county with everything from soup kitchens, meals on wheels, or the hospital auxiliary. Life in the Harbour is great.

Old 09-06-2014, 08:43 AM

Default "new poster"

Quote:
Originally Posted by escapenc View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Another "new" poster who's first post details their love of FFH. Even a blind person can see that it's the same poster with multiple fake accounts.

You can post a zillion different posts under a zillion different names/accounts. It won't change my opinion of FFH. I'm still not moving there.............
Escape nc, you are totally wrong about same poster under different names. Better get your white cane and continue on your journey. Did you ever consider that there really are many happy people in FFH. Look at the many activities that people participate in. YC, Fishing Club, Garden Club, Tai Chi and on and on. Oh yes, then there are the few people who go to dinner Wed night with Pete Drez and grumble about the community and what to attack next.

We are really not trying to convince you to move here!

Old 09-07-2014, 07:09 AM

120 posts, read 233,634 times
Let me reply to a few of the OPINIONS being offered concerning Fairfield Harbour and in one case the Taberna Golf Course. I will note that I rely upon FACTS, the absolute reliable source of information. Everybody has an opinion, is entitled to an opinion, and there is no requirement that an opinion be anything else than a persons thoughts on a given situation.

"Great" offers us an imaginary story and in the process demeans an employee at the Fuel Mart, a local business. I fail to see any purpose or redeeming value to the post.

"Beartowngirl" offers an opinion that the Taberna Golf Course is doing better today versus when I posted facts about it's situation at an earlier date. I sincerely hope she is correct and the business is successful. The facts remain that the golf course industry is in decline and the financial structure of high fixed costs and low variable costs make success a challenge in the current economic environment.

"Marmasu1" offer an opinion that "Life in the Harbour is great." Assuming sincerity in her opinion I can only offer my wishes for her continued great life.

"Great" offers up a fact that on most Wednesdays my wife and I attend a group dinner at Fairfield Harbour Food & Spirits, a local business overlooking the large marina. I am impressed that anyone would take the time to notice where I dine out, much less take the time to publish it. Our dinner group is open to friends that show up and usually 6 to around 14 will each time. Usually 8 to 10 attend this time of year and the number increases some during winter. Our intent is to patronize a local business that serves great food, at average prices, with portions that usually lead to a request for a take home box. Unfortunately, we are always the largest group in the dining room, with others mostly time share patrons. Perhaps, "Great" can encourage her friends to patronize Food and Spirits to assure their success. Finally, it appears "Great" is either clairvoyant or paranoid, when she claims to know the subject matter of our dinner conversations.

Pete Drez

Old 09-07-2014, 09:24 AM

183 posts, read 326,515 times
we are interested in possibly relocating to this community.If the current hoa board members are this bad why have they been allowed to remain in place ? Couldn't they have been voted out ? I was a president of an hoa here in north carolina and that would seem a logical decision.We currently pay over $185 a month for our hoa dues so the dues in this community really do not seem excessive but this purely an outsiders view.I usually am not swayed by a few dissenting opinions ,but am concerned.We would be relocating to be closer to the beach and fishing.My fiance will be taking a job in state government in the coming new year.like to hear all pros and cons.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FHSailer View Post
Those recommended by Larry Knapp were overwhelmingly elected to the three available seats:
Dan Engelhaupt - Amount 614
Sharon Henke - Amount 606
Joe Schulties - Amount 625

Those recommended by Pete Drez did not fare well:
Simon Lock - Amount 140
James Scalion - Amount 163
Ken Cavistan - Amount 267
The POA board are a group of talented volunteers popularly elected by the community. Those issuing disparaging remarks will never be satisfied. Remember these folks elected by the community spend many many hours in meetings and running the community. I think the magnitude of the election results speak for itself. This election was held in May 2014.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:14 AM

183 posts, read 326,515 times
Thanks for that bit of info FH.lIKE I STATED BEFORE I WAS A PAST PRESIDENT OF AN HOA IN THE RALEIGH AREA.I KNOW ALL THE PROBLEMS ASSOCIATED WITH BEING IN THAT POSITION.It was pretty much a landslide vote.That tells me alot about community feelings running 75% in favor of the sitting board.I do believe your life is in your hands to choose to be happy or dissatisfied.We now will look closer into possibly relocating to the community after discussing the pros and cons.Only thing no more running for any hoa ,this guy is done with that.Once was enough.

Old 09-08-2014, 08:46 AM

120 posts, read 233,634 times
Back in mid July I gave my opinion of how the voting results were achieved. That opinion remains the same:

"As best I remember the numbers reported by FHSailor are consistent with what the POA reported. Since the Board refuses to share any details of the voting; they mail the ballots, they count the ballots, they disqualify votes based on their sole judgment, thus the outcome is predictable. One known error is the POA counting the 207 time share votes based on block voting versus unit voting so the first 207 votes for POA candidates are likely unlawful, being they conflict with the process defined in the community Bylaws. Thus, the net result of the election is likely another year like last year, full of conflict, unrest, and bullying by the Board and Board supporters. Perhaps a more interesting number is that less than 25% of the property owners voted. And if you eliminate the likely unlawful time share block votes, the participation level is about 15%. That tells me that way too many owners have just given up on a possible rescue of the community. The open question is, do the property owners in large numbers develop an intense interest in the lawful rescue of the community at some point and take action. I must admit that I am amazed that we have not reached that point yet."

"Great" you wrote of the talented board members. Perhaps you could provide the forum with some FACTS by itemizing the talents you observed and how the use of those talents has made a positive impact on FFH. If possible please include what tangible improvements FFH has realized for the $8,000,000.00 in dues the POA Board has spent in the past 5 years.

"gjjb1953" First, let get factual about the FEW dissenting votes the cheerleaders constantly reference. Even if you use "Great" numbers you have 20% of the community that voted supporting opposition candidates with strong anti board platforms. If you correct the voting for the 207 block vote that violates the Bylaws, 37% voted for two candidates with strong dissenting platforms. So, the continued misinformation of just a few property owners with significant issues with the POA Board is nothing short of deceit. This community is seriously divided and you can not help to notice it on a daily basis.

As for your question on relocating to Fairfield Harbour. That is very difficult to recommend or not recommend to someone else, as it has everything to do with what you are seeking and what you will tolerate, in my opinion. If you just have to live on the water with a boat behind your house, FFH is a great choice and a real value. FFH does have a fishing club and a fishing dock on Northwest Creek. If you are looking for the most house for your money in this area, FFH should be on your list. Now my opinion on some less than positive considerations. If golf is part of your life there are better places to explore. If an environment of a divided community with neighbor against neighbor infighting bothers you there are likely better places. If the idea of a secretive Board that shares next to nothing about their deliberations offends you, FH is not the place to be. If a Board and a small group of supporters acting as if they rule and the rest of the property owners are their subjects offends you, FH is not the place to be.

If you have any specific questions please post them and I and perhaps other will try to answer.

Pete Drez
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina