Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2014, 05:40 PM

120 posts, read 233,634 times

Advertisements

Qjjb1953, let me offer my opinion of your experience. I think you have correctly detected the slow downward spiral that occurs when large numbers of property owners despair over their investment in a community. Before retirement my family and I lived in 7 different planned communities, most but not all in North Carolina. All experiences were very good to great. We moved to Fairfield Harbour in 1998 and found what appeared to be another gem. In a very few years the change agents started their assault on what brought us here and have managed to drive FFH in the ground with heavy handed tactics. Large numbers of property owners are tiring of the fight and just want out at this time.

As for the POA, Bogey1 gave you the PR crafted spin to direct you away from what your eyes see all too clear. My analogy is painting over rotted wood hoping the gloss finish will hide the core problem. So, that is my opinion of what you experienced and hopefully you will settle in New Bern or the surrounding areas as it is a great place to live, if you like the slower small town/city environment.

Pete Drez
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 08:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,731 times
Fairfield Harbour is a beautiful boating and golfing community with nearly 30 miles of roads for walking or bicycling. Sitting on 2,000 acres, we have more than 2,800 lots and about half contain structures. As a long-time resident I can tell you that FH is a warm and friendly community that is, both, welcoming and generous. Check out CBCFH.com and look at our Stay and Play packages under Services. Enjoy a stay at our timeshares and play a round of golf at our beautiful Harbour Pointe Golf Club (managed by Billy Casper Golf). You won't regret it.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:01 AM

183 posts, read 326,515 times
One area of the community looked very nice .The other area across the road had some very nice properties but i saw many vacant properties or properties that looked vacant .If i eventually buy i would like my property values to have a chance to increase not decrease.Sorry and i am sure there are many wonderful folks living there but we were very concerned by the appearance of many properties

Old 10-14-2014, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,516 times
Smile What's great about Fairfield Harbour

We retired here 19 years ago and have never been sorry. In my opinion, it is the people who make a community a success or failure. When I want to play a golf game or a bridge game, I can most usually find someone else available who enjoys playing. When I am at my volunteer sites in New Bern, I see my neighbors volunteering also. When I serve on my two non-profit community boards, I find my neighbors are there too. I think if you don't like living in this community, you would probably not be happy in any community in Eastern NC.

Old 10-14-2014, 07:06 PM

120 posts, read 233,634 times
Musicalone, the volunteerism you highlight is very common in communities with many retired persons, as they find the time to give back to others, whom are most often less fortunate. I seriously doubt that FFH is much different than other developments in the area on a percentage basis, but would be interested in any facts you may have to support your assertion.

What I take issue with is your assertion that FFH is not only a development, perhaps multiple developments, but a community. The definition of a community includes a shared set of "common values". Community does not fit what we have with law suits, criminal arrests, neighbors that do not talk to each other, numerous foreclosures by the POA, a POA BOD that unlawfully excludes members from all their Board meetings, approximately $10 million in dues spent in the last 6 years with no tangible results of significance, Board elections conducted in a process that contradicts the FFH Bylaws, and on and on.

I too have no sorrow over my purchase in FFH, but do have significant problems with those that decided that contracts, and statutes do not apply to them, in an attempt to profit off their neighbors. As with art everybody has an opinion. You look at the a set of circumstances and appear pleased, I look at the same circumstances and see a multi-faceted mess.

Pete Drez

Old 10-15-2014, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,444 times
Default A Great Place To Live

My husband and I have lived in Fairfield Harbour for 25 years. During our lifetime, we have lived in several outstanding communities, but we have never lived in one where so many people give so much of their time to help others. It’s been a way of life at Fairfield Harbour.
When we consider all the different volunteer help, the beautification projects, various committee support, volunteer Fire Dept., it seems God sent. These many, many people give their time & money to benefit the community as well as to help their neighbors. We appreciate it like many others do.
We also enjoy all the clubs, golf, exercise & pool activities that are available year round. Anyone wishing to participate is welcomed with open arms. Don’t forget, we have access to a perfect body of water for boating, fishing, and beaches.
It still seems disheartening at times that some neighbors still find minor things to constantly complain about, over and over. Agreed, it’s not Utopia. But look around, it’s far better than most retirement communities and those golden years only come once.

Old 10-15-2014, 06:23 PM

39 posts, read 126,070 times
Golden Years, I couldn't agree with you more. We are also long time residents who came and looked for several reasons -- the climate, the water, the golf, nearby New Bern. We bought our land, then a condo, and spent vacations here while we researched other areas and other communities, just to be sure before we decided to build our new home. We visited several other very attractive communities, but always came back to Fairfield Harbour.

Why?

Fairfield Harbour has a warmth, an open friendliness we didn't experience elsewhere. This sense of community is everywhere, here. It's the welcome extended from the many clubs and organizations, the "Fairfield wave" to friends and strangers alike, and the Harbour Helpers who volunteer their time and vehicles to help others in the community. It's the many folks who volunteer at the soup kitchen in town, at the hospital, the Mercy Clinic, the Blood Bank, the fire department, and our own CERT (Community Emergency Response Team.) It's the spontaneous meals that appear at the door when someone in the community needs help, the folks who welcome the Marines for each Thanksgiving dinner, the fishing excursions for wounded warriors and inner city kids, and so many other things.

Yes, we have a few who prefer antagonism to friendship, isolation to participation, complaints to compassion, but doesn't every community? Even with them, it's a great place to call home, isn't it?

Old 10-16-2014, 05:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,373 times
Default 15% vs 85%

I hate to lower myself to responding to "Ole Mister What's His Name" and others like him, but I will - once!
I have lived in faraway parts of the world where the natives did not have a fraction of what we have today in Fairfield Harbour- and they were happy! In fact, I was born in a part of the U.S. where we did not have a fraction of what we have here in fairfield Harbour - and we were happy!
It's a well established fact that 5% of the population WILL NEVER BE HAPPY. Another 10% will die trying to improve on what's already near perfect. And, the remaining 85% of us has to endure the above - to remain happy.
Fairfield Harbour is not perfect. Far from it. But, on the other hand, in today's world and even within the U.S., this is a pretty good place to spend those final GOLDEN YEARS. I'm busy doing just that, so please don't bother me with this trivial dissident BS. I have more important enjoyable things to do.
As for "Ole Mister What's His Name" and friends, the EXIT gate is open. BUT watch out - don't let the gate hit you in the . . . . !

Old 10-16-2014, 06:45 PM

15,142 posts, read 27,760,706 times
It's amazing how many have ONE post and it's to this thread.........

Old 10-17-2014, 09:34 AM

183 posts, read 326,515 times
Well we will be looking at a home tomorrow on Caracara and a few others in the communit.It is a buyers market with percentages below 4% and the prices you have there are very low.I will give it another look see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina