Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 11:06 AM

4 posts, read 14,269 times

Advertisements

Hi Bogey1...Thanks for all your info. You must be a mind reader as we have been wondering about the stuation in FH. We have sold our home in upstate NY and need to make a decision as to where we will go from here. Our main focus has been the Trent Woods area but liked the FH area very much too. The problem was that we didn't fully understand the status of property value there and the future of the community as a whole. I know that no one holds the answers to the future but we just wanted to get a handle on conditions there. Thanks for the input and if you have any other advice we would love to hear it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 11:11 AM

4 posts, read 14,269 times
Post About Fairfield Harbour

Hi Bogey1...I just posted a reply to you but I am new at this and I'm not sure if it was posted correctly. I hope you were able to see it. If not I will repost. Thanks

Old 04-22-2010, 01:50 PM

39 posts, read 126,189 times
Hi TiredGypsy,
No I didn't get your reply. Please ask any questions you want. I'll tell you all I know, and help you all I can. (I hovered over the rightmost icon and it said, "quick reply to this message." If you get my reply, that's how it works! :-))

Bogey1

Old 04-22-2010, 01:55 PM

Default About Fairfield Harbour

Hi TiredGypsy,

No, I didn't get your reply. Please try again, and ask anything you'd like. I'll try to answer, and help any way I can.

Bogey1

PS I tried "Post Quick Reply" via the rightmost icon. This message was posted via the "Post Reply" at the bottom left. Whichever message gets through to you, that's the method to use! :-))

Old 04-27-2010, 12:46 PM

3 posts, read 16,883 times
Hi, I have just joined the forum. I have been transferred here from Charlotte and am looking to buy a place at the river next year. I have seen some lovely condos on-line for Fairfield. Thanks Bogey1 for giving excellent information about the community, dues, etc. This is quite helpful to me before contacting a realtor--agressive to sell, etc. I am just in the info gathering stage. I will continue to check weekly for more insights. Thanks to all of you that have posted.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:19 AM

Default Results on Wednesday, May 5, could be a deciding factor in your decision

Hi Cynnib,

By Wednesday, the 5th, we'll know in what direction we'll be going as a community. A small group of dissidents (see previous post) is trying to unseat the present BOD (which is committed to trying to regain and gradually restore our amenities). The vote is Tuesday; the results will be known on Wednesday. If the dissidents win, they will doubtless try to develop along our inner harbour and other areas (Their intended BOD replacement appointees -- as well as their intentions for the community -- have been kept secret from even their supporters!). This will negatively change the nature and the appearance of the community. I believe the vast majority is opposed, but we wait with bated breath until the votes are counted!

It remains a uniquely wonderful community -- with some disruptions right now. I'll try to keep you posted.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:21 AM

Hi Poodlecamper,

Briefly, NO! The POA is not trying to change ANY codes. Each section is governed by a DOR (Declarations of Restrictions), and each building plan must be approved by our Property Control Committee, but a reputable builder is aware of that, and will comply -- easily. Depending upon whether our POA is able to negotiate a REASONABLE price from MidSouth, and the community approves the purchase and the business plan that the POA proposes, amenities fees may be moot. If we can regain our amenities, all amenities fees will go, and everyone will pay an equal share in the form of slightly raised dues ($200 or so per year). As we restore our neglected amenities, our property values will recover, so it will be an excellent investment.

This is truly an excellent community, a beautiful community -- which suffered under a lousy owner for ten years, and now, is trying to get out of his greedy grasp. That says it all. Friendly advice: please don't listen to rumors -- especially scary ones. Learn the facts. We have a small bunch of protesters who'd rather "sink" the community than give up their "amenity-free" status. It was an inequitable system used as a sales ploy by FH,Inc. years ago, and continues to plague the community. Those who protest the loudest are the wealthiest -- and they're willing to tell you anything to keep their privileged status.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:13 AM

3 posts, read 16,883 times
Thanks Bogey1 for the great updates. I will continue to check for updates. Good luck.

Old 05-04-2010, 08:30 AM

15 posts, read 91,071 times
There are many, many transplants in New Bern, not just in Fairfield Harbor. Trent Woods, Bryce's Creek , Greenbriar and Riverbend also have many people from all over the U.S. and Germany (Bosch Co.). There will always be a few bloggers who will vent on these sites about so called "yankees". After living in New Bern for over 10 years and being a transplant myself I have never run across these people. Everyone is very friendly, outgoing and enjoys the mild climate, ease of getting around, great medical doctors and charming spirit of New Bern.

Old 05-16-2010, 09:36 AM

Default Update on Fairfield Harbour

Update: Fairfield Harbour. The community has won, once again! Even after months of intense campaigning and scare tactics by our dissident group FHPORT (FH Property Owners Reform Team aka "People Opposed to Rational Thinking," as the rest of us call them!), the community voted 990 to 462 NOT to unseat our present BOD.

This is resounding defeat #3 for the dissidents. They lost their "Do Nothing" choice to the community's choice: to continue to pursue acquiring our amenities, at a reasonable price via long term loan(41% to 57%, with about 50% of the property owners voting). Their two FHPORT candidates for the BOD, Dee Kessinger and Rich Marshall lost resoundingly to candidates Chris Skrotsky and Wayne Strausbaugh, both of whom support the present BOD, and their attempts to acquire our amenities.

The Elections Committee has finished counting and given the results to the POA.
291 Dee Kessinger
307 Rich Marshall
862 Chris Skrotsky (Elected)
816 Wayne Strausbaugh (Elected)

Will FHPORT continue to deny the obvious? Probably, for awhile, at least. But, the past three confrontations strongly indicate they are not the choice of this community. In fact, they are losing what little interest they once generated, as the community reacts to the money their litigation is costing the entire community. This "builder-supporter" group will have to look elsewhere for easy development and quick profits at the long-term expense of the community.

At our annual meeting, on May 26, FHPORT is presenting two more demands: an audit for 2008 and 2009, instead of the proposed audit for 2009, and a return, by mailed individual check, any excess funds collected via dues each year, instead of credit towards the next year's dues, as has long been the custom. Each of their proposals will mean extra, needless expense for the community, and I fully expect a fourth -- resounding -- defeat for this group.

I will keep you posted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina