Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 03:23 PM

3 posts, read 9,263 times

Advertisements

Looking for house in DEC and curious about what was the POA dues before all this happened; what are they now; what are they expected to be after this dispute is over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 10:37 AM

39 posts, read 126,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poodlecamper View Post
Just heard our bid was accepted on a lot in Fairfield Harbour.
We hope to build a small home there to retire to. We want to be near the water and in a better climate. Good medical care is nearby, and we are used to driving a little for shopping.

Also, as positive as our "southern encounters" have been, I decided it would be easier to meet people if we lived among other transplants. The hostility towards Yankees on this board by some people has angered and saddened me. We've already met our future neighbors and it was a positive meeting. I do enjoy new people, but it would be too stressful for me to be snubbed in my new neighborhood because I'm a "Yankee".

Any comments, positive or negative, are welcomed. Recommend any builders?

Hi poodlecamper,

Welcome to Fairfield Harbour! Where is your new home-to-be (aka your lot) located? The Shoreline Side or the Harbour Pointe side?

You'll find our community open and friendly, and the activities such that you'll meet new friends quickly. Social activities slow as November approaches, but will pick up again in the spring, when there will be POA picnics, monthly "Harbour Nite Club" meetings with live music, dancing and food, yacht club festivities and golf outings, etc. We moved here in mid-October, '98, and the first thing I bought was a calendar to keep track of all the events and arrangements. However, November and the winter months tend to be quieter.

When you arrive in the Harbour, first turn right and pick up a pass/card for the gate. Then, go back across Broad Creek and check in at the POA office (just before the Harbour Pointe side gate -- on your right.) Nancy Harrison, our terrific POA secretary, will give you a community phone book which contains a map and will answer any questions you have about the community. Inside the phone book will be a list of clubs and activities which may interest you, together with contact phone numbers. The following link will provide lots of information.
Fairfield Harbour

We built with Stuart Hardy, a wonderful builder who no longer builds here, unfortunately. After we arrived here, and while we stayed in our rental, we asked folks we met who their builder was, were they happy with that builder, and what was the one thing they'd change, if they built again. All said a larger "sun room" -- which is what we did. That's the room where you'll spend 90% of your waking hours, so be sure it's large enough to comfortably enjoy and entertain in.

Jennings is a good builder. Mandy Johnson builds a good house, but you'll fight with her over anything that you want, and she doesn't. She views your house as representative of her, and she wants things her way. Personally, I couldn't deal with her. I'd say spend some time with various builders, get floor plans and prices, then check their reputations with people you'll be meeting. Take your time. There are some very nice homes to rent here in the meantime. We found our rental time to be valuable. We got to see other homes and learned what worked, and what didn't.

You'll probably want to stay with the realtor who sold you the land, but if you're looking for anyone, I can highly recommend two: Pat Dumon and Joy Harsen, both of whom work out of Neuse Realty, the realty office just before you enter Fairfield Harbour on Broad Creek Road, as does Sandy Perry. Also, Brenda Gear, and Jim English, of Keller Williams are also quite good.

I do hope I'll get to meet you and help you feel welcome. I'm sure you'll find you've made a good decision, as far as community goes. (We're still working on our amenities issue, but we're confident we can resolve it.)

When do you plan to come?

Cindy P.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:16 AM

Default Reply to justankase about FH POA dues

You posted: Looking for house in DEC and curious about what was the POA dues before all this happened; what are they now; what are they expected to be after this dispute is over?

I couldn't seem to answer your link directly, so, I'm trying it this way.
Our FH POA dues last year were $475.00. They will probably be raised a bit this year. They have been projected to be $530 in 2011, but the actual budget will not be voted on until May of 2011.

As to the before and after of the dispute, it's difficult to say just when the "dispute" began, since we have complained to MidSouth about their mistreatment and general neglect of the amenities ( and non-use of the amenities fees we'd been paying them) since they first purchased in 2000.

IF we win our request for a Declaratory Judgment (proving that it is, indeed, legal for the POA to purchase, and assess extra dues), and IF we are able to negotiate and reach a reasonable agreement with MidSouth to purchase the amenities from them (the two sons are eager to sell; the father is resistant), and IF the community agrees to the business plan which would include a long term loan, with the costs of the purchase spread out over twenty years(60% are in favor), the additional costs for the first five years (until the marinas and a golf course can be restored enough to begin generating income beyond their costs) was estimated at and extra $128 per year, per lot, with the total 2014 dues projected to be $763.

This is a projection, of course, dependent upon all those "IF"s. Rest assured, however, that this is a "modest income" community which will not agree to anything not affordable, or beneficial to the integrity of the community. Ignore any scare stories you hear or read about. They are just that.

Please contact the POA via the link below for any more information you need. They are good, hardworking folks who'll be honest with you, believe me.

Fairfield Harbour

Looking forward to your arrival!

Cindy P.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:45 PM

720 posts, read 1,708,726 times
Hi Cindy,
Our lot is on the Shoreline side, on Wind Way. My DH won't retire for 2 more years, so we have no firm plans as of yet.
We were impressed with the friendliness of the people we met when we visited FFH 3 years ago, and of course the appearance was beautiful. I also liked the different activities available---I'm an RN (retired) and like to sew, knit, read, so interested in the hospital auxilliary group and knitting groups. We hope to get a small boat, and we have a 27' camper and travel a lot in it.
I received a selection of plans from Mandi Johnson---the houses are gorgeous but more than we would want in terms of being very high end.
I've been following the amenities brouhaha on all the websites---will be interesting to see what a judge decides.
We did buy our lot through Neuse Realty, although I can't remember the gentleman's name.
I agree about the sunroom, that's definitely on my list of must-haves.
Well, Halloween is over--we had a tad over 100 kids here in 2 hours---always a busy night for us. Thank you for the information and perhaps we'll get to meet ----
Carol E.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:45 PM

Hi Carol,
Gilbert Stroud is also a highly regarded builder, but had a few quirks that didn't appeal to us. He likes 4" moldings, 9 ft ceilings and concrete and brick decks. The first two added to the price, and we didn't care for the concrete deck idea. Stuart Hardy suggested "tray" ceilings where we wanted extra height (we wanted a fan in the bedroom and my husband is tall :-)) ) and used 3" moldings. Our lot's shape required a greater setback than the surrounding houses, and Gilbert refused, claiming it would detract from "curb appeal" -- so we went back to Stuart Hardy. In all, plan to rent a house for the first year so that you can interview various builders, and supervise construction once you begin. You'll get a feel for things in the meantime. We did it that way, and I really recommend it.

On the Shoreline side, you'll have to store your boat and your camper. We voted down that restriction, but SL forbids any boats or campers on the property. You can get a permit for two weeks while you load up, or clean out your camper, but then it will have to go into storage. There's a storage yard three miles up Broad Creek, and other places nearby.

We, too, have a small boat, (17ft Rally outboard) but don't use it much. It's very hot on the river and the creeks during the summer (no ocean breeze) and the water's not the best for swimming (as opposed to LI Sound!). It's dyed brown by the tree roots, and has various "critters" that you'd rather not meet in the water. Wait until you get here before deciding on a boat.

There's an RV club here and a yacht club, so you'll have lots of like-minded neighbors and friends. New Bern has two theater groups (we have one here in the Harbour), and at least one quilting society. They just had a quilt show at the convention center -- outstanding!

You're right -- the folks here are very friendly, and helpful. It's a truly wonderful community -- despite our small group of obstructionists. Whenever we get discouraged, we remember all the friends we've made, and the acquaintances we've gotten to know, and we simply resolve to work at the problems. I'm confident that much will be resolved before you are ready to join us.

We had not one visitor on Halloween! We do have a number of children in the Harbour, but not enough on either side, apparently, to generate much Halloween traffic.

Keep in touch! I'll try to be at the gate when you come! :-))

Cindy

Old 11-04-2011, 04:17 PM

10 posts, read 28,235 times
Poodlecamper, et al,

I just have to reply to your concerns. A few years ago, my wife and I stopped in Las Vegas to visit a couple she knew from New Jersey that I had never met. During our visit, the very nice lady managed to spend about 10 to 15 minutes talking about how uneducated the people are in the South and what a shame it is because she wouldn't retire there. I am from North Carolina, and I sat there wondering if it was a message for me or what? I grew up in the South, have lived in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Alabama,and Georgia. I find what usually pisses people off is the newcomer who is critical of "how things are done" in their new home. In Atlanta, they have a saying, "Delta is ready when you are!" So come on down South. We like people with manners and respect. Live in the new town and you'll be fine. Continue to live in your old town, and you may not fare as well.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:34 AM

606 posts, read 730,072 times
Default Fairfield Harbour

I've been looking at homes for sale in Fairfield Harbour for about a month now. I wondered why their values seemed depressed and now I know the answer!

It's very sad that the amenities issues are unresolved. I suppose for a potential buyer it could be a good thing due to the huge number of homes for sale at greatly discounted prices.

What I can't understand is how the amenities were sold without remedies written in for such contingencies. Was the sale to Mid-South simply open ended without the POA being involved? Typically developers have succession plans for amenities to be turned over to a POA as the lots are sold off. Was this not written into the community covenants?

Are there any potential plans to incorporate as a town or just stay a POA?

I'm interested to hear current news on the lawsuit and where the whole issue stands before we move forward with buying a home.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:29 AM

858 posts, read 2,992,418 times
What are the major differences, ammenities, HOA fees, and taxes between Fairfield Harbour and Carolina Colours?

Thank you

Old 12-13-2011, 03:17 PM

606 posts, read 730,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
What are the major differences, ammenities, HOA fees, and taxes between Fairfield Harbour and Carolina Colours?

Thank you
I'd be interested to know that also...we will be looking at both communities in the next few weeks/months. There is a lot of information on the FFH website about fees and some of the legal documents pertaining to the amenities dispute issue.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:20 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
I can't answer all your questions, but will give the observation that we did not even consider Carolina Colours because the houses seemed way over-priced compared to the rest of New Bern. Comparable houses were $80-100K more in Carolina Colours. Of course, they are newer and stylish, so you may think they are worth more.

We looked seriously at Fairfield Harbour, and thought the HOA fees were reasonable. Ultimately we did not move there because the lots are so small, and because the golf course problem seemed insoluble. Another problem with FH is that many of the houses are older (70-80's) and need updating. If you have the resources to buy a newer house or build from scratch, FH can be nice. The pools, gym, tennis courts and boat docks are operating. The major advantage for FH is if you sail a boat. The slips on that side of the river ar deep enough for sailboats. It depends on what you are looking for.

Last edited by goldenage1; 12-13-2011 at 10:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina