Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2014, 03:13 PM

120 posts, read 233,815 times

Advertisements

Being the owner of a 10 pound toy white Schnauzer, I do know that dogs must be on a leash in all parts of the multiple subdivisions and you are required to pick up after your dog. Although I have not taken my dog down to the Marina, given the limited "grass" space in the immediate area, it is easy to understand they may be particular about where dogs relieve themselves or gather to socialize. I do find these same type of rules at most all marinas we frequent up and down the ICW. But there is no need to be snappy about anything.

The lady that operates the Canvas Shop has multiple dogs with at least one in the shop most of the time. Next time you visit, you may want to talk with her to get better local knowledge on this subject. I believe the shop is closed on Sunday and Monday. Her name is Pamela.

Pete Drez
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2014, 07:23 AM

35 posts, read 63,315 times
Thanks Pete,

We've spent a bunch of time in Oriental, where the dogs roam pretty freely. We don't habitually leash (owning a mellow Lab), but we bag regularly. We weren't offended but more startled because the man that talked to us was abrupt. No harm, no foul, just left an impression (Barney Fife level of importance).

Other than that, we talked with other boaters and everyone seems to love the marina and the dock-master lady was very helpful with fuel and information. We have some friends who kept their boat there and loved it - especially the social gatherings, but like us, wanted to be closer to some stores and restaurants and later berthed in New Bern Grand.

Which begs another question if you know it - who owns New Bern Grand now and do you know of any major plans there? Just curious. Thanks.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:23 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,239,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteDrez View Post
Seems like another level set is needed. Not sure why "escapenc" chose to speak with such conviction, and spread false info. First, according to the location info for escapenc, the person is located in Taberna, a planned community in the city of New Bern, that has a third party golf course going through it's second bankruptcy in the past few years. Seems appropiate to remind escapenc about those in glass houses throwing stones. And BTW, all of New Bern and surrounding area was under water at some point in its past. My house sits on land that is above the flood plain in FFH, thus escapenc has more to learn about this subject also.
Pete Drez
What did I say that was false? I was simply responding to another posters questions about why there are so many "bargains" in FFH. FFH is bankrupt and is built on a swamp/flood plain. Are you implying the bankruptcy/current condition/location of the subdivision hasn't effected home resale values? You claim that your lot sits "above the flood plain", yet tax records show that it backs up to water. Does that water not raise when a hurricane comes through?

You claim that I am throwing stones because I live in Taberna. This thread is not about Taberna or it's bankruptcy. I already started a thread about that last year. The Taberna golf course is up and running, not closed or overgrown by weeds. My house sits 18 feet above sea level. They are not giving houses away here. A home down the street recently sold for $450K.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:32 AM

Escapenc, I thought I was clear on the facts to back up my opinion of your posting, but I will try again. Let’s start with the bankruptcy of Fairfield Harbour. Fairfield Harbour, the Property Owners Association or anything else with a name that includes Fairfield Harbour is not in bankruptcy. And to my knowledge there has never been a bankruptcy filing in the past 40 years by any entity with Fairfield Harbour in the name. The entity that did file Chapter 11 bankruptcy the first of this year is MidSouth Golf LLC, a single purpose North Carolina LLC. This LLC owns the two local golf courses, one operational and managed by Billy Casper Golf, the other shut down. Mid South Golf also owns two small marinas on the inner harbour, a tennis court, and other small limited value parcels. So, fact one, correction one to your posting is: Fairfield Harbour is not in bankruptcy and has never been.

Next lets deal with your comments on "flood plain/swamp". These two terms actually have little relationship, so I will deal with them separately. Let’s start with flood plain. "Flood Plain" is a FEMA evelation desigination, often referred to as the 100 year flood plain. Actually what it means is there is a one percent chance annually that flood waters fill cover the land. The current elevation of the FEMA 100 year flood plain in New Bern is 8 feet above sea level. Thus if your land sits at 8 feet elevation or less, above sea level, it is technically in the flood plain. And yes, the lot on which my house sits does border a man made canal on the north, which has a bulkhead with a top measurement of 3 feet above sea level. So at the bulkhead my property is in the flood plain. However, the property rises in elevation as you move south on it, and achieves an ultimate elevation of 10 feet above sea level, no longer in the flood plain. All structures on the property are on the 10 feet elevation area, thus my house is not in the flood plain and has a first finished floor elevation of 12.5 feet. Since you appear interested in the public record for my property, check the revised FEMA flood survey, available on line, to verify this information.

Now let’s address the term "swamp". Actually a better, well defined term is "wet lands". Yes, portions of Fairfield Harbour are reclaimed wet lands. Fairfield Harbour, notice the second word is "Harbour", is a man made canal community attracting those who treasure access to the water. The wet lands that were reclaimed were dug out on one side of the installed bulkheads and the spoils deposited on the other side of the bulkhead. As a point of interest this reclaiming was all done "dry" with no water in the canal system until it was completed. Also, prior to the canal construction, the entire area that we know as Fairfield Harbour, as well as the other side of the Neuse River suffered a forest fire that destroyed the timber farming of the land, which was its prior use. So, construction involved reclaiming the wet lands, developing an ICW deep water access canal system, and planting thousands of pine trees, that have developed into the beautiful community that exist today. If you love the water, have to have a close by protected, well managed marina, or have to have your boat behind your house, with cruising access to anywhere in the world, Fairfield Harbour is the answer to your dreams. Need a golf course, want to play many rounds golf, the choices are endless, and Fairfield Harbour may not be the best choice.

And like it or not Taberna's golf facilities have had financial problems resulting in bankruptcy twice and MidSouth has just file the first bankruptcy ever, associated their golf course properties. Golf is a dying sport, there are too many facilities versus players, and the fixed costs to operate a golf course are unaffordable for anything other than a facility with 500 or more free spending members. In eastern NC the competitive cost cutting to attrach the limited number of available players has the industry is a death spiral. And although I do not follow the golf industry closely, comments from those that do tell me this problem is wide spread.

Now let’s talk real estate prices. That $450K sale down the street. Do not know what value there is in such an isolated statement. If the property sold for $600K to the previous owner, bad news. If the previous owner paid $300K, great news for him. But just your one data point is useless.

And finally, if you want to understand the core problem in Fairfield Harbour, it is the people that live here and the attitude of some. For more details I suggest a trip down to the Craven County Court House and a request to the Superior Court Clerk for a copy of 11 CVS 338.

Pete Drez

Old 05-19-2014, 12:48 PM

7 posts, read 27,090 times
Exclamation 11 cvs 338

"And finally, if you want to understand the core problem in Fairfield Harbour, it is the people that live here and the attitude of some. For more details I suggest a trip down to the Craven County Court House and a request to the Superior Court Clerk for a copy of 11 CVS 338."

Yes, by all means! And learn that it was Mr. Drez suing his own community and himself with wild conspiracy theories and allegations and that the judge threw the entire thing out with a one page summary judgment. Both recent lawsuits were found 100% in favor of the POA.

John Smythe

Old 05-25-2014, 08:27 AM

John Smythe seems to well represent those in Fairfield Harbour that pick and choose facts to present something that will most likely incorrectly communicate the entire truth. So let me fill in the blanks quickly.

The series of court actions started with a suit filed by the POA against my wife and I and another couple. They sued us for having our attorney write the POA a letter reminding them that our Declaration of Restrictions did not permit the POA to use our dues to purchase, and operate a set of decaying amenities including two golf courses, one barely operational, one closed and overgrown, a falling down club house, a cracked and useless swimming pool, etc. etc.. That suit was served on us on 8/24/2010, and went to trial on 12/6/2010 (10 CVS 1349). The Superior Court Judged ruled in our favor, the POA could not use dues to purchase/operate the above mentioned amenities. The POA appealed the Superior Court Order and lost. The POA went back for a second appeal and lost again.

Meanwhile the POA was off harassing those who supported our case. They hired off duty Sheriff Deputies to set up a road block on a state road at the exit of our Christmas Party on 12/15/2010, they had a former Board member arrested for threat charges that were dismissed by the courts, the POA Board publically criticized and blamed us for all the tension in the community, etc. Twenty supporters who had been personally harassed by the POA for supporting us, filed a civil suit against the POA, its Board members, and an employee. The Boards initial motion to dismiss was denied by the Superior Court Judge. 30 months later just before trial, the POA filed another dismissal motion basically challenging our civil conspiracy claim, and the Judge agreed and the case was dismissed. There is no civil conspiracy statute in NC, and in retrospect perhaps the Plaintiffs should have gone the criminal allegation route, but we did not and the case is over.

To get a sense of the environment in Fairfield Harbour take a look at these two links from last week. Fairfield Harbour always has some sort of crisis in play, this is just the latest.

Parents claim Harassment at School Bus Stop - The County Compass | 360 Degrees of News Coverage

Bus stop controversy in Craven County boils over | News - WCTI NewsChannel 12

Take a look soon as one is from a local community newspaper and the other a TV station video report of the Fairfield Harbour apparent "War on Children". I am not sure how long the links will remain active. Be sure to read the resident comments at the end of each link. That should give you some basis for judging John Smythe creditability versus mine on other subjects.

As always, any questions, fire away and I will try to get you a factual response.

Pete Drez

Old 05-25-2014, 11:08 AM

720 posts, read 1,709,225 times
I'm a property owner who has followed this from afar, and Mr. Drez's statement is absolutely true. The POA board spent thousands of OUR money on legal costs and lost.
It's a very beautiful community and a prime example of a POA board gone amuck.

Old 05-26-2014, 05:43 AM

Default Vote for Change

To all that own property in Fairfield Harbour, we are in the middle of the election of POA officers for 3 year terms. There are 3 of the seven seats up for election and you can make a difference if you will vote for change in Fairfield Harbour management. Please return your ballot voting for Ken Caviston, Simon Lock, and James Scalion. Those who own timeshares also vote, so if you are a time sharer, contact the person voting for your unit and encourage a vote for Ken, Simon, and James. We can start the rescue of our community with your help. Please vote now. And if you know someone that owns property or time shares in Fairfield Harbour, please email them or give them a call and encourage their vote for a rescue. Spread this news any way you can. Thanks

Pete Drez

Old 06-25-2014, 12:26 PM

2 posts, read 6,705 times
Default Looking for more Fairfield Harbour Information

My husband and I are currently looking at homes in Fairfield Harbour. We hope to purchase a home there and move by September at the latest.
What happened with the POA elections? Any news on the closed Golf Course? Our real estate agent said it had recently been mowed. Is there any chance that the closed Golf Course could be divided and sold as building lots?
Any news would be greatly appreciated!!
Many thanks

Old 06-26-2014, 10:48 AM

1 posts, read 4,630 times
Default 2014 POA Elections

Hey PeteDrez ... was wondering how the elections went. I was excited about purchasing in FFH, but after reading about the POA issues (always promised myself I wouldn't live anywhere that had a POA to deal with, no matter how nice the property), I'm seriously reconsidering ... and so very disappointed. Would really appreciate an update on the "new" board.

Peggy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina