Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2007, 10:25 AM

10 posts, read 23,327 times

Advertisements

The little lady might have a job transfer to Wilmington in a few months so we're checking out the area around the 4th of July (July 1-4 to be exact). Outside of Wrightsville Beach, I know very little about the area. We're staying downtown while there, but want to check out some things besides Wrightsville while we're there.

Main point of interest would be were we'd move to. To start off, we'd be in an apartment, at least until we got a better feel for the area for ourselves. It's just the two of us, late 20s, no kids, no pets. We like to be active - she does marathons, mini-triathalons and I play baseball, volleyball. When we'd move, we'd like to be somewhere safe and no living on top of our neighbors (we currently live in Chicago so when I mean "on top of our neighbors," it's literal). While were there, we'd like to do some driving around to potential areas of interest. Can anyone suggest some areas we should check out? Also, any other advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 10:48 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,474,464 times
Downtown is unique and unlike anywhere else in the Wilmington area, but living there can be a hassle. If you aren't within walking distance of the Market St./Front St. intersection, there isn't much point living downtown. There are plenty of high-density apartments, condos, duplexes, lofts, etc. in downtown Wilmington, and they are relatively cheap. Make sure they have parking, though, as you'll need a car. Downtown has lots of bars and trinket shops, but it lacks a decent grocery store, or most of the basics that people need.

Outside of downtown, there's no shortage of new apartment complexes. Around UNCW, there are lots of these inexpensive vinyl village apartments, mostly geared toward college students. As you get farther away (mainly to the east and south), you find places that are still cookie-cutter, but more upscale.

On July 4th weekend, I expect that Wrightsville Beach would be really crowded.

Old 06-27-2007, 11:00 AM

10 posts, read 23,327 times
Her job would be really close to the airport, if that helps at all. Ideally, we'd like to find a nice place and avoid unnecessary traffic. By looking at a map, I'm assuming we should avoid anything south of the city since the airport is north of it.

Personally, I wouldn't want to live right in the heart of the city. I've been living in Chicago and the congestion is a top reason why I have no problem leaving. My commute to and from work each day can range between 35-55 minutes each way. Anything less than that is a successful move

Old 06-27-2007, 11:13 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,474,464 times
I haven't lived here for all that long, so I'm not familiar with some of the places in Pender & Brunswick county, like Ogden, Leland, Castle Hayne, etc., but they might be the most convenient to the airport.

Traffic is a problem in Wilmington, but not so much downtown. College Road, Market St, Oleander Dr, Carolina Beach Rd, 74/76 Bridge over the Cape Fear River - those roads all have major congestion, comparable to that of a much bigger city. From Google Maps they may look like freeways, but most are lined with shopping centers and fast food joints. You rarely see people pulled over, because it's so dangerous to go the speed limit.

Old 06-27-2007, 12:28 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,184,736 times
Coming from Chicago, you will LOL at traffic here. It is NOT an issue compared to what you have been dealing with even at the worst of rush hour.

However with that said, if you can find something in the Ogden area up toward Castle Hayne or out toward Hampstead you will be doing well.

Have you booked a place to stay already? When I came down to househunt, I sayed at a B&B on 3rd street, The Rosehill Inn
I LOVED it and the proprietor's were very friendly and helpful.

My husband works up near Castle Hayne and we would have preferred that area but found a house that we liked and could afford in Leland. Liz
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina