Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 03:30 PM

252 posts, read 769,206 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me information on some of the "towns" lying southeast of wilmington (Seagate, Maisonboro, Myrtle Grove, Windemere, Silver Lake)? Are they actual towns, with a center? Most developed? Least developed? Prettiest? (i know that's subjective, but give your opinion). Most upscale? Newest?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2007, 06:05 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,473,911 times
I wouldn't say that any of those places are actual towns. They aren't within the city limits of Wilmington, but they aren't really distinguishable from the rest of the Greater Wilmington area.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:26 AM

197 posts, read 957,634 times
I was under the impression that all that you named are within Wilmington city limits. Most are just names for areas, in prior years were outside of city limits and were a name of a (country) crossroads. Now, they are just different areas within Wilmington, I believe.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:27 AM

958 posts, read 2,620,500 times
I'd almost say the only real towns near Wilmington you could consider suburbs are Carolina Beach, Kure Beach, Wrightsville Beach, Leland, and maybe Ogden or Hampstead. Those first four mentioned would all have a "center", not too sure on Ogden or Hampstead, they kind of blend into Wilmington more than the others do.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:04 AM

If you are looking for a small town with traditional center/historic downtown, the closest thing to Wilmington would be Burgaw (30 mins.), Southport(30-45 mins.), Wallace (30-45 mins), Whiteville (45 mins.). Southport, being on the coast, is pretty heavily developed. Whiteville is least developed. I would say Southport and Whiteville historic areas are the "prettiest."

Old 06-26-2007, 12:12 PM

8 posts, read 28,657 times
could anyone tell me about monkey junction? heard it was a nice neighborhood.

thanks, cindy in ct

Old 06-27-2007, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSC View Post
I was under the impression that all that you named are within Wilmington city limits. Most are just names for areas, in prior years were outside of city limits and were a name of a (country) crossroads. Now, they are just different areas within Wilmington, I believe.
Sorry for the late reply -

The city limits actually end just north of Monkey Junction. Just about anyone would say you're still "in Wilmington", but technically not.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
Sorry for the late reply -

The city limits actually end just north of Monkey Junction. Just about anyone would say you're still "in Wilmington", but technically not.

OK, anonymous, which of the communities asked about in the original post (Seagate, Masonboro, Myrtle Grove, Windemere, Silver Lake) are actually in the Wilmington city limits?

Old 06-27-2007, 09:54 AM

1 posts, read 5,337 times
Default Reply Masonboro and Myrtle Grove

Masonboro, Myrtle Grrove, Windemere, and I think; Silver Lake are all considered Wilmington. I have heard of them all, and the ones that I am most familiar with are Masonboro and Myrtle Grove which are mature parts of Wilmington. Wilmington is very spread out and those areas are older and less developed. There are tons of neighborhoods that are on the intercoastal waterway off of Masonboro Sound Road (Masonboro Island is off the ocean and the intercoastal waterway) and Myrtle Grove Road. They range from trailors to mansions. They are roads that are more scenic, no traffic lights. Hope this helps, and by the way, if I could live off Myrtle Grove Rd or Masonboro Sound I would, there are TONS of great family neighborhoods and like I stated earlier, a lot of them are on the waterway and very gorgeous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ourdreamhouse View Post
Can anyone give me information on some of the "towns" lying southeast of wilmington (Seagate, Maisonboro, Myrtle Grove, Windemere, Silver Lake)? Are they actual towns, with a center? Most developed? Least developed? Prettiest? (i know that's subjective, but give your opinion). Most upscale? Newest?

Thanks!

Old 06-27-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSC View Post
OK, anonymous, which of the communities asked about in the original post (Seagate, Masonboro, Myrtle Grove, Windemere, Silver Lake) are actually in the Wilmington city limits?
Seagate and Windemere are in the city limits
Masonboro isn't, but is extremely close. I can't tell exactly where Masonboro starts and stops, so the northern extremities may be in the city.
Myrtle Grove and Silver Lake aren't

Last edited by anonymous; 06-27-2007 at 11:04 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina