Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 07:51 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,474,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdebbie View Post
Perhaps I should clarify what made me ask this question.

We live in a city of 17,189, not much smaller than New Bern at 23,178. Our crime stats, according to City Data are 83.7 vs. 325.2 for the US. New Bern's crime stats are 498.3.

498.3 vs 83.7 is a HUGE difference given the small difference in populations. Where I live we do not have "bad" neighborhoods that need to be avoided or people walking around that we have to be careful not to look at. Our crime is pretty much limited to petty theft, a few assualts by kids in bars, drunk driving, etc.

There must be SOME dynamic that causes this great difference in the crime rate. Was just trying to understand what that is. No matter is the prostitutes, drive-by shootings, etc. are not in "my" neighborhood, that is not a town or city that I would be comfortable to live in.
Yeah, I agree with another poster. You answered your question; you said that there aren't any poor neighborhoods where you live.

I believe that there a few factors that correlate strongly with crime.
-Income inequality (How wide is the income gap between rich & poor?)
-Poverty (What % of people are living below the poverty level?)
-Education
-Unemployment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2007, 07:07 PM

190 posts, read 866,584 times
Default Thanks for the response

Ok, that makes alot of sense. Thank you for the clarification.

Yes, our area is lovely, and it pains me to think of moving.

However, the cost of living - housing, taxes, etc. is more than I think we can bear in retirement. Also, we are just now really getting sick of Winter and think it will be harder as we get older - shoveling, the bitter cold for so long, the worry about driving and getting out when the weather is bad.

We both really want a place with lower costs and a milder climate. We don't mind the Winter/snow, just not 6 months of it. There's no way, unfortunately we could afford to get away for most of it either.

Are we asking too much to find a place that's not crime-ridden, but is cheaper than where we are now - we have a little 1,100 sq ft "half-house" which is valued at @400K. Taxes run @ $4,500, is smallish (under 40K pop) and has some culture?

Thanks again for the info.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:11 PM

2,690 posts, read 4,218,728 times
It's certain areas of downtown Wilmington where the crime takes place. If you move to one of the suburban subdivisions, or to one of the many newer developments in Pender or Brunswick counties I don't think you'd have to worry too much about crime.

Old 08-30-2007, 12:31 PM

6 posts, read 21,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
For Wilmington, it really depends on which zip code you use. We have several. When we were house hunting to move here, we discovered we didn't want some areas whereas others were more in line with what we were use to seeing.

The index I use has New Bern at a 112 for zip code 28560 and a 92 for zip code 28562 (National Average is figured at 100).

Wilmington is:
210/28401
225/28403
106/28405
60/28409
111/28411
104/28412

So there is a BIG difference in Wilmington depending on the zip code you live in.

The site I use, I will PM you the url if requested. I discovered it thru a site my husband used for his job.

Actually Sperling's also will break it down by zip code as well and comes up with the same data. Liz
southernlady, please PM me that info as well

also, the lower the number the better?

Old 08-30-2007, 12:40 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,185,293 times
Yes, the lower the number the better. 60/28409 is the best of the bunch on that list. Liz

Old 08-30-2007, 12:59 PM

6 posts, read 21,870 times
southernlady, do you have the zip code map link?

Old 08-30-2007, 01:23 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,185,293 times
Yeap, just posted the maps: https://www.city-data.com/forum/coast...ton-metro.html Liz

Old 10-03-2007, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,734 times
Default relocating

Hi my family and i are thinking about moving to new bern and was wondering how trucking jobs, construction and health field positions are there? Also how is the crime rate and the weather? Any reply would be great!!
thanks

Old 10-04-2007, 06:14 AM

7 posts, read 42,181 times
Default Interesting undertones

Best advice is to visit the areas with a good realtor, watch the local papers via the internet, visit the police department, talk with a good insurance agent who knows the town and develop your own opinions.

You'll be fine in New Bern or Wilmington if you do your own investigation and follow your own heart. You may find a nice quiet outlying community near one of these areas that suits you fine.

Good luck.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:24 AM

20 posts, read 57,457 times
Default Other options...

New Bern and Wilmington are very nice places to live. If you have some reservations about these, you may want to check out Greenville. The crime stats may be high here as well, but it is for the same reasons that others have posted. It is typically localized to specific areas within the town. Greenville is probably the most thriving area east of I-95 in NC other than Wilmington. Someone mentioned "health care". If that is one of the big draws to an area for you, then you must check Greenville out. Also, the beach is about 1.5 hrs from here, but we have access to the Intercoastal Waterway within 30 min. from here, by means of a highway or by water. Moderator cut: advertising

Benji

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 10-10-2007 at 01:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina