Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 07:23 PM
vq1

134 posts, read 682,932 times

Advertisements

Hello macdebbie: Saw what you are looking for in retirement and I would like to recommend where we have retired to: Lenoir, NC. The county is Caldwell County and it extends from a moderate climate at the eastern foothills part up to the mountains at the southern part of Grandfather Mountain. Go to Realtor.com and search under zip code 28645. In today's market, you can buy a lot of house for much less than $400k.

Lenoir was the "Furniture Capital of the World" until that went overseas. The job market is tight, but you talked about retirement. It is near Boone, 80 miles to Charlotte, Winston-Salem or Asheville. I doubt you would ever shovel snow more than five times a year. Don't tell anyone, but our house is never locked and the keys are in the ignition in all the cars.

Any questions, feel free to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2007, 09:05 PM

4 posts, read 17,088 times
I'm a single, young female and I've lived all over Wilmington NC, moved about 5 times I think. I started living close to the campus off of market st. Some apartment complexes are nicer and more geared to college students (these have their own problems, not necessarily crime, just noise!) and some are seedy and shady. You'll be able to tell by prices pretty much.
I lived downtown in a veryyyyyyy high crime rate area off of castle street where rent was cheap for a reason. There were drug dealers walking my street, offereing drugs and harrassing you constantly. The downtown area at night is a bad situation if you're walking home after drinking or getting into the outskirts of the bar areas. I've been held up at gunpoint once with two big guys with me, and I know several guys I wouldn't think would be messed with that have been robbed at gunpoint in the downtown area. ESPECIALLY on holidays. The areas between 17th st and 5th st, I agree, are the highest crime rate areas. There is a housing complex on 3rd and greenfield, 13th and greenfield, and one is coming in near C.Beach road and Southern blvd. The whole of N. 30th Street and Princess St from 23rd North toward Kerr ave is bad as well. These are obviously areas of concern.
Although there are lots of robberies late at night after people leave bars on the outskirts of the main Front St. drag, it's common sense not to park very far away, in a darker less populated area, walking perhaps intoxicated, looking like you might have money to take. This is pretty dumb in any metro area.

Old 11-24-2007, 07:21 PM

674 posts, read 804,416 times
macdebbie, stats can be misleading. Much of the crime in any city on NC is not random violence but rather crime concentrated in "bad" areas and property crime. You are looking to go retire in a waterfront community and those are NOT high crime areas. Take precautions just as we all should anywhere but PLEASE don't let those stats scare you away.

I live in Charlotte and if I went by stats alone, no one would live here-- or any major US city!!

Old 12-07-2007, 06:41 PM

245 posts, read 765,458 times
Default greener grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdebbie View Post

We both really want a place with lower costs and a milder climate.
Before moving to NC, you might want to think ahead 10 or 20 years. Quite a lot of people are moving to north carolina for the mild weather and "lower costs". Once the mortgage industry hiccup passes, housing prices will continue to soar, along with insurance and taxes. NC is a nice place, but the lower costs won't always be low. Just something to think about before uprooting yourselves.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:03 PM

9 posts, read 31,089 times
Wilmington is stuck right now between small-town values and big-city growth. It's a city in transition with neither the infrastructure nor the government in place to handle the change. The high crime rate can be directly related to drugs. The small town charm that graced our community is giving way to unfettered growth. There are beautiful neighborhoods mostly located in the 09 and 11 zips. And of course the beach communities are wonderful, though you better have big bucks. You may want to check Brunswick County, which is just across the Cape Fear river from ILM and stretches to the S.C. border. More affordable and lined with beach communities. Personally we're leaving the area come summer 08 so my opinions should be read as just that...opinions.

Old 12-08-2007, 09:07 PM

7 posts, read 39,397 times
There are a huge amount of uneducated entitlement people in this area.
Certain areas of Wilmington, ( front street at night ) , New Bern ( outside after dark ), Jacksonville ( the mall ) and any brightly lit place will attract them.
The vast majority of the folks are very decent, conservative, law abiding people.
Ever been to DC, poor parts of Atlanta, or Detroit ? Micro versions exist here.

Forgot to include;
Wilmington has the highest tax rate in the southeast. Want a $100 water bill ? Move here.

Last edited by carolinatruth; 12-08-2007 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: forgot

Old 12-09-2007, 09:43 PM

56 posts, read 221,415 times
You might want to consider South Port NC, or Sunset Beach NC, or Calabash NC. Brunswick County. Smaller coastal towns with many of the ammenities that you requested, without the higher crime rate. Just a thought.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:05 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,474,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feddymike View Post
Wilmington is stuck right now between small-town values and big-city growth. It's a city in transition with neither the infrastructure nor the government in place to handle the change. The high crime rate can be directly related to drugs. The small town charm that graced our community is giving way to unfettered growth. There are beautiful neighborhoods mostly located in the 09 and 11 zips. And of course the beach communities are wonderful, though you better have big bucks. You may want to check Brunswick County, which is just across the Cape Fear river from ILM and stretches to the S.C. border. More affordable and lined with beach communities. Personally we're leaving the area come summer 08 so my opinions should be read as just that...opinions.

This seems to be a very common opinion. I've met quite a few Wilmingtonians who have told me the same thing.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:23 AM

1 posts, read 4,445 times
What about a couple in their early 50s with independent businesses, looking to relocate. Fairfield sounds too much like a retirement community. We need to be hear an airport, and hubby would like to be close to the water for boating, I would like to be in a vibrant area with arts, culture, and a good business community. I'd also like to have access to Raleigh, not for daily commuting, but ready access. Thoughts?

Old 12-10-2007, 08:34 AM

217 posts, read 1,117,487 times
Wilmington would be a better choice for you as far as easy access to Raleigh (straight shot up I-40...2 hours to Raleigh). Also, the airport in Wilmington is a good one...very easy to fly in and out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina