Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 12:16 PM

104 posts, read 148,552 times

Advertisements

Crime happens where the soil is fertile for crime to flourish. As Seatlite points out, factors like affluence tend to act as a pesticide and rob robbers of a planting area. There is still, unfortunately a strong correlation in high crime areas and communities having large segments of population lacking education, who live in some greater or less degree of poverty, lack job opportunities and whose existence is one of anger and desperation. After a few years or generations these conditions individuals emerge who have long ago given up on the socially acceptable means of survival and conclude that criminality is their last resort. Why would one who makes $100 a day as a welder need to break into a house, or rob a person on the street?
Take a look at Oriental NC city data. Check out the per capita income and other demographic stats. Then answer the question why Edenton, New Bern and Wllmington have such high crime rates. I live on the north shore of Long Island. The average income is $23000 higher than NY average (not based on MY income). The crime rate is low compared to the national average.
No Surprise. Personal safety is an issued, particularly to those of retirement age. We just returned from St. Croix where a bad decision can get you into trouble. Most retirees I know do not lead a life on the wild side. Good judgement it the key to personal safety where ever one lives, be it Wilmington, NC, Carmel CA or new Bern. If you wandering around in seedy neighborhoods late at night you are likely to be robbed. If you leave the expensive waterfront restaurant and walk across the well-lighted parking lot to your car, it's likely you will not be robbed. You leave a Nikon camera on the seat of your BMW and come back later to find a broken window and no camera. It's about judgement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 03:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,124 times
I lived in New Bern for over Thirty Years and, I will never return of my own freewill. Yes the crime ate is high. The only jobs worth havind are at the Papermill, Hatterass Yachts ,Moen the Phosphate mine in Aurorsor construction at one one of the fore mentioned...The "Good Ol Boy Network" is very strong there. I saw a lot of crime there (up close), drug dealers on my school bus and on the corner ny my parents house. Wilmington I have visited extrnsively and saw some of the same elemens.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:27 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,728,204 times
The crime in New Bern is HIGHLY CONCENTRATED in several areas, with the two big housing "projects" the focus of most. But not all. There are places in New Bern that you could be 99% sure you would never have a crime in your area.

You need to understand about small, southern towns. Down here "good" areas and "bad" areas (wealthy vs poor, in reality) can be separated by a road, railroad, or bridge. There are not huge homogenous areas.

So many people come south for warm weather and taxes, but there is a whole lot more than that.

But..about 30,000 people live in New Bern, so if they can deal with the really minimal risk, so can you.

Old 09-28-2016, 04:21 PM

183 posts, read 326,769 times
LLN you are 100% correct.I go all over small New Bern and never feel threatened at all.I work at Carolina East which is expanding and constantly hiring.They are the 2nd largest employer in this part of NC.I have no idea what some of the previous people are afraid of.Ridiculous.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:34 PM

6 posts, read 10,639 times
southerlady, I would like the url you used
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina