Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2010, 04:14 PM

3 posts, read 5,498 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband and I have decided to move south and have chosen Wilmington NC... We currently live in Maryland and have lived here our entire life. MD is very expensive, the electric bill has tripled, taxes have been raised and housing is outrageous. Our children our 13 and 7 and are estatic about the warm weather and the beaches. My 13year old would fit in better in a more relaxed welcoming atmosphere, here where we live it is all about "keeping up with the jones' and we are financially struggling.

I have Crohn's Disease so my fear is the medical care in NC. Here in MD, in Baltimore there is the BEST care for my illness.

I want a nice kid friendly neighborhood for my children and good schools. I am currently in college pursuing a teaching degree. I have an AA in Chemical Dependency but will not be working for a few years. My husband has been in sales and we are concerned about him finding work, as he was just laid off here in MD due to the company downsizing, the economy/ recession at work.

We do not know where to start. What neighborhoods to check out? Any Suggestions?

Again, Importance to us is:
Children in the neighborhood
High School District
Access to College for me
Jobs for my husband
Medical Care
Less than an hour from the beach

Thank you for your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2010, 06:01 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,409,749 times
price range of homes /neighborhoods you might be
looking for?

you should also secure a job before moving here.

other than that I am sure you will find Wilmington wonderful
however it is not jsut that easy to move and
leave family and friends to start over.
it can be a lonely ,confusing experience.
that said , having kids will get you involved in the community
quickly and then you will meet new friends.

Old 05-12-2010, 01:20 PM

3 posts, read 5,498 times
We are looking for homes up to about 300k

Old 05-12-2010, 03:30 PM

730 posts, read 1,318,188 times
I'd be especially interested in responses regarding medical care; are many doctors accepting new patients (especially Medicare patients). Where we live now there is a critical doctor shortage (family care, cardiologists, urologists, dermatologists)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina