Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2010, 09:32 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,599,478 times

Advertisements

Scientists say oil leaking in the Gulf of Mexico could affect North Carolina sea life even if it never reaches the Tar Heel coast. That's because many species that thrive off the state's coast spawn offshore in the Gulf Stream, which could become contaminated by the oil.

Spoiler
sweet our fresh fish is now going to China or processed

Oil spill a threat to valuable sea life off the North Carolina coast - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/05/22/1451078/oil-spill-a-threat-to-sea-life.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 05:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,708 times
Thumbs down Connection to Beaufort

My parents have lived on the North River for over 30 years...this is going to be a major event if it comes up the East Coast(not, by any means to diminish what is already happening in the Gulf states..)

I am trying to find out if there is a local group to ENC that has a concern. I am willing to put some time into this...

Old 05-26-2010, 06:30 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,038,192 times
So many holes to punch thru that article I don't know where to begin.
The Gulf Stream is always, repeat always offshore of the coast of North Carolina. Depending on what time of year it is will determine just how offshore it is.
The coast of NC is also affected by the colder waters from the north. These waters too are at different locations depending on the time of year.
The coast of North carolina has varying water temperatures. From 40's to almost 100 degrees. These too vary in location and degree depending on time of year.
January/February the waters are the coldest, the influence of the northern waters help to push the Gulf Stream out and away from NC.

August/September the waters are the warmest and the Gulf Stream is pushed in the closest to NC. The closest point is Hatteras-After that the Gulf Stream hangs a right and heads across the Atlantic.

There are also warm water eddys that break off the Gulf Stream (on both sides) and draw the Gulf waters away from the stream.
The article (link provided above) makes it seem that anything outside of an inlet is "offshore". Wrong. Offshore where the Gulf Stream is can be 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 miles away from an inlet.
Also consider the source when reading any article. This disaster (Disaster is an understatement) is a dream come true for any group wishing to further a particular agenda and/or raise money for their particular viewpoint on the environment.

Old 05-26-2010, 08:55 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,228,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
So many holes to punch thru that article I don't know where to begin.
The Gulf Stream is always, repeat always offshore of the coast of North Carolina. Depending on what time of year it is will determine just how offshore it is.
The coast of NC is also affected by the colder waters from the north. These waters too are at different locations depending on the time of year.
The coast of North carolina has varying water temperatures. From 40's to almost 100 degrees. These too vary in location and degree depending on time of year.
January/February the waters are the coldest, the influence of the northern waters help to push the Gulf Stream out and away from NC.

August/September the waters are the warmest and the Gulf Stream is pushed in the closest to NC. The closest point is Hatteras-After that the Gulf Stream hangs a right and heads across the Atlantic.

There are also warm water eddys that break off the Gulf Stream (on both sides) and draw the Gulf waters away from the stream.
The article (link provided above) makes it seem that anything outside of an inlet is "offshore". Wrong. Offshore where the Gulf Stream is can be 20, 30, 40, 50, 60 miles away from an inlet.
Also consider the source when reading any article. This disaster (Disaster is an understatement) is a dream come true for any group wishing to further a particular agenda and/or raise money for their particular viewpoint on the environment.

The article plainly states that the odds remain low that the oil will reach NC beaches.

The story is about the threat to creatures who are swimming out in the Gulf Stream. What does the distance from our coastline and the water temperature have to do with it?

Of course, I always consider the source when reading anything that you write.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:21 PM

HHHmmm.........Judging from the snipe you must belong to one of those groups who stand to profit or able to advance a particular agenda.
Offshore does not mean Gulf Stream. The distances I mentioned earlier of 20-60 miles is the "buffer zone" between the inlets/beaches and the Gulf Stream. The article would have you to believe otherwise. The article would also have you believe that shrimp and crabs spawn in the Gulf Stream. No.
We'd have a bunch of fat inshore and offshore fish if critters like shrimp and crabs had to swim from the Gulf Stream to the estaurine system of the inside waters of NC.
The article also suggests that the bluefin tuna caught off the NC coast migrate from the Gulf. That's partially correct.The NC bluefins are a combination of two stocks-one trans-atlantic from the med. The Gulf is used by some bluefins as a breeding ground. The Gulf bluefins have a greater danger in Mexican/South American poaching.
And your question of what does water temperature have to do with it? Just about everything.
Water temperature will determine and or indicate where the water flows. Cold water is on the bottom. Warmer waters on top. Cold water eddys rotate right. Warm water eddys rotate to the left.
The writer of the article confused facts and melded numerous issues together.I have neither the time, energy or desire to be his editor. You have seem to have a chip on your shoulders so no amount of time, energy or desire will change it.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:33 AM

2,690 posts, read 4,228,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
HHHmmm.........Judging from the snipe you must belong to one of those groups who stand to profit or able to advance a particular agenda.
Offshore does not mean Gulf Stream. The distances I mentioned earlier of 20-60 miles is the "buffer zone" between the inlets/beaches and the Gulf Stream. The article would have you to believe otherwise. The article would also have you believe that shrimp and crabs spawn in the Gulf Stream. No.
We'd have a bunch of fat inshore and offshore fish if critters like shrimp and crabs had to swim from the Gulf Stream to the estaurine system of the inside waters of NC.
The article also suggests that the bluefin tuna caught off the NC coast migrate from the Gulf. That's partially correct.The NC bluefins are a combination of two stocks-one trans-atlantic from the med. The Gulf is used by some bluefins as a breeding ground. The Gulf bluefins have a greater danger in Mexican/South American poaching.
And your question of what does water temperature have to do with it? Just about everything.
Water temperature will determine and or indicate where the water flows. Cold water is on the bottom. Warmer waters on top. Cold water eddys rotate right. Warm water eddys rotate to the left.
The writer of the article confused facts and melded numerous issues together.I have neither the time, energy or desire to be his editor. You have seem to have a chip on your shoulders so no amount of time, energy or desire will change it.

My "agenda" is that I am extremely concerned about this oil spill and the tragic consequences. I am not as convinced as you seem to be that we along the Atlantic coast will not see any negative effects from this.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:29 PM

I am not as convinced as you seem to be that we along the Atlantic coast will not see any negative effects from this.
I never said that we will, "not see any negative effects from this." I have tried to give a little insight on the misinformation sometimes given by media which is accepted as fact by the public. I've also attempted to shed a little light on how the Gulf Waters flow in relationship to NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina