Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2007, 04:10 PM

607 posts, read 3,557,809 times

Advertisements

I have a stamp collection that I started in 1973. I stopped in 1976 but I have a lot of mint American stamps. I never see stamp stores around. I wonder if I can buy a small island with my collection
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 06:29 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis s View Post
I have a stamp collection that I started in 1973. I stopped in 1976 but I have a lot of mint American stamps. I never see stamp stores around. I wonder if I can buy a small island with my collection
Doubt it, unless it's pre Farley issues (late 30's) they aren't worth much more than face value. I collect stamps, coins and paper money and if you check ebay that is about the best place to find out what stamps are seller for in the real world. The books can say it's worth X dollars but what people are really paying is it's true value.

IF mint stamps from that 1940's on are worth a lot I have enough to buy a small planet, now there are a few valuable ones in there but most of them are errors or special issues. The real money is from about 1938 and before and if they're mint you can get into real money real fast on some of them.

Old 07-26-2007, 02:27 PM

607 posts, read 3,557,809 times
I have them going back to the begining but I don't know which ones are mint. I know I have a Dag Hamerscold united nations error and a lot of fist day covers.

I have some money from Saddam Hussien Iraq too.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:24 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis s View Post
I have them going back to the begining but I don't know which ones are mint. I know I have a Dag Hamerscold united nations error and a lot of fist day covers.

I have some money from Saddam Hussien Iraq too.
Well a MNH full sheet (50 stamps) of the Dag Hammarskjold Error Stamp is currently be offered at $3.00 a sheet of 50. The USPO reprinted the error sheets at the tune of some 40 millions of them to keep them from having any real value. It's Scott #1204 and it's book value is around .50 cents, but real market value is far less. See anytime the post office prints an error now they just print a bunch more and devalue the error. Why I don't know, I think it undermines the fun of collecting myself. Few errors have great worth and one is the inverted Jenny which is Scott # C3a which there are about a 100 and have a value of around $300,000 each. No I don't have one.

Saddam Hussein Dinar are very plentiful, I hate to keep saying "Oh that's not worth much." but I don't want to fib to you. But again checking eBay I saw some completed auction for 9 notes that closed at $7.50 each. I have a few 100 Saddam notes I bought a few years ago. I consider them more of a novelty than anything of value. Now find me a MINT US 1901 $10 Buffalo Note and we'll talk a VF is about $1000.00 and a MINT is way up there.

Sorry to be the barrier of ho-hum news.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques