Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 08:58 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,829,003 times

Advertisements

My wifey got over 750 hot wheels in the original packaging and unopened as payment on a debt that was owed her. Is there any place we can sell these besides ebay. We will only let the entire collection go at once, no cherry picking as it's called. They are from the 1990s to 2004 and a lot of the series that were popular then just missing a few pieces to complete them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 09:39 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,280,097 times
From this professional sounding individual some advice.
Sell your Matchbox Hot Wheels Cars, I buy cars.

Old 08-04-2013, 10:48 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,944,637 times
If you don't need the money right now, hang onto them. Selling collectibles in a sour economy means a low return. Wait just a while longer, when pockets are filled a bit more and you'll probably get a much higher return.

In the meantime, if you can fill in any blanks in the collection, now is the time and then you have a complete set which usually sells at a premium.

Beware of those advertising they buy such collections. They know far more about it than you and will generally pay a fraction of their worth.

Check this resource out: HWC™ | News & Events | Calendar Of Events

Maybe a few visits or casual participation will reap huge rewards. There are probably some cars in that collection worth quite bit of money and if you can identify them, find out that one or two would bring more money that the entire set sold to a "collector" who scours the collections of others.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:04 PM

3,243 posts, read 6,296,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowwalker View Post
My wifey got over 750 hot wheels in the original packaging and unopened as payment on a debt that was owed her. Is there any place we can sell these besides ebay. We will only let the entire collection go at once, no cherry picking as it's called. They are from the 1990s to 2004 and a lot of the series that were popular then just missing a few pieces to complete them.
If you sell the whole collection at once only dealers will be interested. They will be buying at wholesale. The cars with the most value from that era would be the 1995 Treasure Hunt series. The Camaro goes for over $300 and the VW bug is second with a value over $100.

Old 08-06-2013, 01:00 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,264,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
If you sell the whole collection at once only dealers will be interested. They will be buying at wholesale. The cars with the most value from that era would be the 1995 Treasure Hunt series. The Camaro goes for over $300 and the VW bug is second with a value over $100.
Oh, why did you tell'em that...it's really only $20

Old 08-07-2013, 05:39 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,829,003 times
Thanks all. They don't take up much room and we haven't checked into them for indivigual pricing for sure. I remember she has almost complete sets of the treasure, red line, and some more as well as big one like trucks and such. I will check out the sites suggested also, again. Thanks.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:37 PM

1 posts, read 64,063 times
I am interested in purchasing your entire lot. My 13-year old son sells them to buy Christmas presents and help with his necessities throughout the year. What kind of deal would you make him?

Old 11-29-2013, 08:02 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,445,711 times
Can't help you with such a modern collection....
The ones that really matter are the first couple of years... 1968, and a few years after that. I got to play with them when I was a little kid, (about a decade after they came out), along with the orange track, and the wheel-driven 'superchargers'... Still have the cars in a storage unit somewhere... but condition and age is everything. Most of what you will find (like mine), is that they were played with by a little kid (me), and thus beat up, so the Barracuda, 'vette, T-bird, Deora, Beatnik Bandit, etc, and the later stuff like the ' Mongoose and Snake' cars are very rare in new-like condition.
I (truly) wish you luck in selling them... the marketplace for all old stuff now (well, not-so-old in your case), is both fickle and soft. I wouldn't be sitting on such stuff (and tons of antique furniture), if I could unload it now. Perhaps the SPCA will take my stuff, as yours, which would be of no financial benefit to me, but at least would help a worthwhile cause. I digress, as usual.
Take my opinion for what it is worth... I don't deal in such items, as there is little money in it... but I can only relate to my experiences.

Old 12-17-2013, 06:25 PM

1 posts, read 63,870 times
well I have 1024 hot wheels and other cars for sell,Garage cars,Waynes Garage cars,Greenlight,,Johnny Lightning,,Foose,,Muscle Machines,,Retro cars,you name it its there Treasure hunts,i'm just getting out of the hobby,i'm wanting $900.00 firm Serious Inquiry only,there's 5 and 10 sets,and Holiday cars,but there is just no way you could lose money,but anyway if you want them leave a message and number and i'll get back with you,thank you and Marry XMAS. THERE ARE NEW AND OLD CARS.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:43 AM

1 posts, read 62,359 times
I'm getting ready to retire and have probably over thousand hot wheel cars, redlines, ton from 90's some early 70's, games, track, convention cars (I took my son to them) way too much to discuss. Even have rumblers, aqua fresh cars, cars I picked up in Thailand and Mexico. Great fun with him during those years. Also unopened TOPPs baseball cards (complete series) back to 80's. Now what to do with it all? Open to ideas thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques