Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 12:42 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times

Advertisements

For me its gotta be the copy of Back to the future (1985) I found ON VHS recorded on 4/1/87 from HBO over analogue cable!!

Lemme give ya some details:

I dont like digital @ all.. I buy ANALOG MEDIA to get ANALOG QUALITY and back to the future (1,2 and 3) on VHS and Beta WERE DIGITALLY COMPROMISED! (It wasnt a true analog transfer to the VHS tape) and in my opinion WASNT GOOD AT ALL......

I have recently discovered the VIDEODISC copy of PART 1 (1985) WAS INDEED 100% ANALOG and I was fixing to get a VD player!! (I was close) then 1 day a box of HOME MADE VHS TAPES came into salvation army... (Not official tapes) -- They werent going on the floor.... The box stayed in the back for about a week......... @ first I didnt paw thru it but then I did and baby I AM GLAD I DID!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ended up getting TWO PIECES OF GOLD OUT OF THAT BOX!!!!!

1) Back to the future - 1985 -- 100% ANALOG (Taped 4/1/87 off HBO)

I still cant believe I got it!!!!!!!! (Its recorded in LP mode and not SP but considering its what it is,I WILL TAKE IT!!)

2) The Fugitive - 1993 (Recorded off HBO in 1993 (Analogue cable)) -- It has that beautiful OVER CITY thing HBO used to have before movies..... CANT BE REPLACED!!!!!! (And the copy of THE FUGITIVE IS BETTER as its in SP mode and not SLP as when I recorded it off PPV in the 90s))

I guess thats the best/most valuable thing TO ME I have gotton SO FAR @ a thrift store!!

Lets hear some good stories dues!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 01:05 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
Baseball cards in the original unopened vendor box I bought for 5 bucks a few years back that had several high dollar collectable players in them worth over serveral thousand after I got them graded. Those were just those ones I got graded.

The others over 6000 of them are worth 10 cents to several dollars a piece. I sold those to another Ebayer for 1k that does only BBall cards and is set up to sell them individually.

Total collection price after they are all sold and traded over a few years is probably in the 10K plus range.

Not bad for 5 bucks.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:46 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
I found an old piece of Fiestaware for a steal (but really wish I'd been that person on Antiques Roadshow last week that paid a dollar for a piece that's worth $15,000!)

Old 07-19-2014, 11:30 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,834,641 times
Wow Flamingo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad
Baseball cards in the original unopened vendor box I bought for 5 bucks a few years back that had several high dollar collectable players in them worth over serveral thousand after I got them graded. Those were just those ones I got graded.

The others over 6000 of them are worth 10 cents to several dollars a piece. I sold those to another Ebayer for 1k that does only BBall cards and is set up to sell them individually.

Total collection price after they are all sold and traded over a few years is probably in the 10K plus range.

Not bad for 5 bucks.
No not bad at all.. Wow you made a huge profit!!!!!!

A friend of mine on another site made $400 @ a record store when he bought an album the other day and it had 4 $100 bills taped inside!!

Old 07-20-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Wow Flamingo!!

No not bad at all.. Wow you made a huge profit!!!!!!

A friend of mine on another site made $400 @ a record store when he bought an album the other day and it had 4 $100 bills taped inside!!
Found money.

I've been branching out into records as well mainly looking for the 1950's blue note jazz records but keeping my eye open for a few others. I'm not a big audiophile but I should be as vinyl has a made a huge comeback and there are some high quality vinyl recordings that go for big bucks.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:28 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
I don't know whether or not it's particularly valuable, but the COOLEST thing I ever found at a thrift shop was a box of letters and photos from WW1 and WW2 from a German soldier. I've had a couple of the letters translated and what's fascinating about them is that they are completely NON political - all they are discussing is family and asking for mom to send warm socks, that sort of thing.

The coolest thing about the photos is that apparently the soldier was a medic stationed on the eastern front (and sadly, the letters come to a screeching halt in the Crimea, so I have to wonder what happened to that medic). He took tons of photos of eastern Europe, including some of Romani gypsies. Apparently actual photos of that ethnic group are rare. The photos of Russian villages are really interesting too. There are also photos of family members, including one woman, who were serving in the German armed forces in both wars. The woman appears to be in the German navy.

There are photos of several families who look extremely Jewish as well, which makes me wonder. I mean, they do not look at ALL like the other people in the photos, and they also look very well to do (these photos are from between WW1 and WW2). I think there are photos of medical colleagues - apparently whoever collected these letters and photos was a member of the medical community in Germany in the first half of the 20th century.

Absolutely fascinating. I bought the whole lot for $60.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I don't know whether or not it's particularly valuable, but the COOLEST thing I ever found at a thrift shop was a box of letters and photos from WW1 and WW2 from a German soldier. I've had a couple of the letters translated and what's fascinating about them is that they are completely NON political - all they are discussing is family and asking for mom to send warm socks, that sort of thing.

The coolest thing about the photos is that apparently the soldier was a medic stationed on the eastern front (and sadly, the letters come to a screeching halt in the Crimea, so I have to wonder what happened to that medic). He took tons of photos of eastern Europe, including some of Romani gypsies. Apparently actual photos of that ethnic group are rare. The photos of Russian villages are really interesting too. There are also photos of family members, including one woman, who were serving in the German armed forces in both wars. The woman appears to be in the German navy.

There are photos of several families who look extremely Jewish as well, which makes me wonder. I mean, they do not look at ALL like the other people in the photos, and they also look very well to do (these photos are from between WW1 and WW2). I think there are photos of medical colleagues - apparently whoever collected these letters and photos was a member of the medical community in Germany in the first half of the 20th century.

Absolutely fascinating. I bought the whole lot for $60.
I'm a huge history buff especially when it comes to history on the unsung common man. Probably what spurred my venture into collecting as I really work on the history of objects I find.

Have you thought about a person search to see if that soldier has any surviving family members.

I'm excited just thinking about it. Like an episode of History Detectives on PBS.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:07 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,247,100 times
A 100% authentic Chanel bag. $30. They see a lot of fakes so assumed this one was too...Sold it for $800.

Needless to say it only happened once Lol.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:06 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,894,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I'm a huge history buff especially when it comes to history on the unsung common man. Probably what spurred my venture into collecting as I really work on the history of objects I find.

Have you thought about a person search to see if that soldier has any surviving family members.

I'm excited just thinking about it. Like an episode of History Detectives on PBS.
I actually wrote to the City Manager of the town where the letters were sent, and gave her the family names as well. She wrote back and told me that these sorts of "finds" are common and that generally, families aren't interested and that's precisely why the items ended up in a junk shop. But German citizens can be very weird about WW1 and WW2 history - lots of familial denial and "intentional amnesia."

Old 07-21-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I actually wrote to the City Manager of the town where the letters were sent, and gave her the family names as well. She wrote back and told me that these sorts of "finds" are common and that generally, families aren't interested and that's precisely why the items ended up in a junk shop. But German citizens can be very weird about WW1 and WW2 history - lots of familial denial and "intentional amnesia."
They need a "Letters from Germany" realization.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques