Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2019, 11:44 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times

Advertisements

I need to know what to do with a collection of santa claus figures of various kinds, about 100 of them. I may be selling them but they have some sentimental value, so I'm still not sure. Are these commonly sought after/collected? most from the 1980s, 90s,.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 02:05 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,965,185 times
This sounds almost as bad as Lenox Snow Babies.....

With anything it depends on what it is. It's like saying I collect Mickey Mouse Figures, what are they worth. To broad.

Completed Ebay listings (See if what you have can sell them on there), and potentially consignment shops.

This is the first thing that came up when I looked. https://www.ebay.com/itm/2018-Vailla...EAAOSwX6tda9O3

Recent, again you have to be more specific. Make, model year, size. Take a pic...This sounds like Things Remembered type stuff.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:54 AM

I was talking to someone I had not seen in a bit last night, and she sold Danbury Mint Figures and made almost three hundred. Paid $20 for the figurines she sold.

Again, what are they. Exactly.

Old 09-06-2019, 02:23 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger 68 View Post
I was talking to someone I had not seen in a bit last night, and she sold Danbury Mint Figures and made almost three hundred. Paid $20 for the figurines she sold.

Again, what are they. Exactly.
Maybe she just got lucky and found a buyer. I had to google danbury to see what they are.

Old 09-07-2019, 08:25 AM

How did she get lucky. She showed me the completed listings for them. Each one got multiple bids. She paid $2 a piece she said. Sold them all for $243.

You asked a question about about something you have, but have yet to give any information outside of Santa Claus.

My nearly 3 minutes on this site is almost over for today.

Old 09-29-2019, 01:34 PM

2,495 posts, read 1,872,148 times
I had amassed a huge Santa Claus collection over the years, more than a thousand, ranging from almost life size down to one carved from a grain of rice.

One day, I woke up and said THAT'S IT! I DON'T WANT THESE ANY MORE!

So, I took a booth in a new antique shop two months before Christmas and sold them all. I'm sure some of them "walked" out the door, and I sure didn't recoup the money I had spent on them, but I was free!

I kept less than a dozen that had great sentimental value.

Now, when I have the urge to start collecting something, I slap myself in the face and say "COME TO YOUR SENSES, WOMAN!" It seems to work.

Old 09-29-2019, 06:39 PM

^
People do this with everything all the time. I have watched one guy who is almost 60 and works for some local ad firm go crazy with records. He isn't buying just garbage, but much of it is get a pile and take it to a good local record shop and buy something you want with a credit. We are paying 50 cents a record. He says they don't have anything he wants.
BS. He bought that Hendrix Electric Ladyland Box Set for over $80 (I do not know where he bought it, or what he paid for it), They have it there. People try to justify their own stupidity.
I mean he is making all world efforts to be in the thrift on his lunch brake, and right after work every day, while piling this junk up, what to donate some of it? And the local record shop pays decent.
I took them 36 records, had about $19 in them, they gave me $115. *hit that's a pain to flip on fleabay but they can sell down there.
I almost took a partial credit to get the Hendrix set myself. But said this is more stuff, and I do not think the set will be more valuable down the road.
I remember the one character I was referencing above saying he probably wouldn't like Van Der Graf Generator when I told him I found an unusal UK scroll press. He goes out and finds a copy at the annual junk sale one of the local hospital has to make money and now it's really good. Again, is this guy six, or sixty.
And he isn't flipping the crap. I see his wife in the thrift with him and she is almost as daffy as he is. From Jersey.
The other thing is there just isn't that much in these kind of places anymore. You can get lucky ONCE IN A WHILE. But it evens out with the long dry spells of junk! These places now what they have. Why would you have a good job and bother with all this junk?

Old 10-05-2019, 12:56 AM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I need to know what to do with a collection of santa claus figures of various kinds, about 100 of them. I may be selling them but they have some sentimental value, so I'm still not sure. Are these commonly sought after/collected? most from the 1980s, 90s,.
There are Facebook Christmas collectors group. I know of some. Christmas collectables are very, very popular! I just read that "vintage" now starts at items from 1992! I can't believe it!

That's where I'd start - with Facebook groups. Where you find real fanatics.

I do not mean that in a derogatory way.

Old 10-05-2019, 09:40 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Just for timing, this is a good time to try to sell them. Get a booth at one of the Christmas fairs. Price them a bit on the low side and you will dell a bunch of them and get more money than you would get to list them on eBay.

Old 10-06-2019, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Just for timing, this is a good time to try to sell them. Get a booth at one of the Christmas fairs. Price them a bit on the low side and you will dell a bunch of them and get more money than you would get to list them on eBay.
This is possible, but you wouldn't get more if you have one that might be worth a few hundred. That's why you use Ebay. Not just to sell them, but to see what the market is like. And if you have one that brings money why give it away? I doubt the OP would take that route. Just sell them at your local church.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques