Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2020, 09:24 AM

15,966 posts, read 20,942,819 times

Advertisements

If you've done your living room retro in sear's open hearth they'd fit right in. I mean they do say that what goes around comes around. Mid century modern was vilified for a loooong time.
https://d3h6k4kfl8m9p0.cloudfront.ne...openhearth.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2020, 01:15 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,816,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
If you've done your living room retro in sear's open hearth they'd fit right in. I mean they do say that what goes around comes around. Mid century modern was vilified for a loooong time.
https://d3h6k4kfl8m9p0.cloudfront.ne...openhearth.jpg
That very busy upholstery fabric, while not appealing (trying to be kind) to contemporary eyes, is inspired by 18th century crewel embroidery, then used for curtains, bed hangings, and upholstered furniture. The real thing is still highly valued, of course, and reproductions of it are pricey.

But 18th century upholstery was never as ubiquitous as this photo shows. Nor was upholstered furniture as common. Perhaps one wing chair would feature crewel embroidery (likely created by the lady or daughters of the house), or maybe the seat of a smaller, predominantly wooden chair. Or curtains. Or bed hangings (which could be drawn together for privacy and warmth). It wouldn't be everywhere, as it is here.

A little goes a long ways.

Now, given that same room and furnishings, I'd switch out the print for solids - no more than two coordinating colors - and maybe add some throw pillows in the original fabric. Tone it down.

Though not currently popular, I do like all the wood paneling, assuming it is the real thing instead of a copy like that busy upholstery fabric. I'd add some (authentic) brass, Delft or stoneware pottery with blue accents, and/or pewter to add interest to that wall of brown, though. Or the paneling could be painted a lighter color to brighten the room, but as noted, I like the natural color better.

Old 11-15-2020, 09:54 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,210,834 times
Craig can we please hang out in an antique mall together some day?

Old 11-17-2020, 12:05 PM

26,638 posts, read 28,470,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Craig can we please hang out in an antique mall together some day?
Me too, please?

I dislike those lamps too even though I usually like, or at least appreciate, antiques. The style doesn't ring a bell with me but maybe 1930s? The bases are odd, as are the shades and I wouldn't know what style to call any of it. There's a curviness to the pleated shades instead of the usual sharp pleats and the bases tend to be curvy too. If I had to make a guess I'd say those don't come from any significant era and probably aren't worth much. (famous last words, lol.)

But to me, they have the "clunkiness" of 1930s style but probably they could have been made later just to be fancy. It's not what people had in their living rooms in the 1970s, that I know of.

Old 11-17-2020, 01:37 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,184,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Me too, please?

I dislike those lamps too even though I usually like, or at least appreciate, antiques. The style doesn't ring a bell with me but maybe 1930s? The bases are odd, as are the shades and I wouldn't know what style to call any of it. There's a curviness to the pleated shades instead of the usual sharp pleats and the bases tend to be curvy too. If I had to make a guess I'd say those don't come from any significant era and probably aren't worth much. (famous last words, lol.)

But to me, they have the "clunkiness" of 1930s style but probably they could have been made later just to be fancy. It's not what people had in their living rooms in the 1970s, that I know of.
It's what a LOT of people had in their living rooms in the 1970s. I was there.

Remarkably enough, before HGTV, there were a lot of people who furnished a house when they moved in, and didn't see any need to change it as long as they stayed there - they may even have moved things from house to house - just replacing things that wore out.

It's a relatively recent phenomenon for hordes of people to rush out in lemming-like droves and throw away all their perfectly good furniture because a new TV show told them what to do. There have always been some people like that but not to the extent we see today.

Old 11-17-2020, 02:02 PM

26,638 posts, read 28,470,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
It's what a LOT of people had in their living rooms in the 1970s. I was there.

Remarkably enough, before HGTV, there were a lot of people who furnished a house when they moved in, and didn't see any need to change it as long as they stayed there - they may even have moved things from house to house - just replacing things that wore out.

It's a relatively recent phenomenon for hordes of people to rush out in lemming-like droves and throw away all their perfectly good furniture because a new TV show told them what to do. There have always been some people like that but not to the extent we see today.
Maybe you saw lamps like that in the 1970s but I didn't. Maybe it depends upon which part of the country we were living in. In the late '60s/early '70s the style where I live here in New England was called Mediterranean. It was faux Spanish. The lamps I bought were very dark colored square pillars that had rectangular indentations and the shades were plain white and straight, not tapered. Lamps like those in the picture must have still been around but in my case, newly married, I had to go out and buy my own. I can picture lamps like that at an elderly aunt's house or even my MIL's house--she had weird taste, trying to look more fancy than anyone else!

Some people still decorated with early American but that was on its way out. By around 1980 ginger jar lamps with tightly pleated slanted shades were all the rage iirc.

Before HGTV there were actually people who redecorated every year. They did in my home town, a "keeping up with the Joneses" type of thing. Probably they got their ideas from magazines or they had their own personal decorators who knew the latest styles and trends. (I didn't grow up in that type of background, lol.)

Old 11-18-2020, 07:18 AM

I grew up in the south. I can picture these in several homes. Try to find different shades but...
I've thought about trying to get the flowers off of them.

Old 11-25-2020, 10:04 PM

Craziest thing, the EXACT same lamps are listed on fb market. No shades. This is a 12sqmi town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques