Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2012, 09:48 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times

Advertisements

I have a very large, solid brass menorah that I found - literally in a pile of trash - in Germany back in the 1990s.

It's about 16" tall and 14" wide and is definitely solid brass. It weighs a ton - well, not a ton but probably 5 pounds or so.

There are no maker's marks on it.

When I searched images online, I found some menorahs that looked almost identical to it. Most of them were either titled "antique" or "vintage" and many were described as "eastern European style" or "from Poland."

This is not mine, but it looks almost identical to it:

http://img0.etsystatic.com/000/0/637....250813608.jpg

These range in price online literally from $16 to $600.

I don't know what I have exactly but I'd love to know more about it if possible. Any insight, anyone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2012, 10:19 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Seek out a large auction house in your area and see if they will look at it for you. They may not be expert about menorahs, but at least they should be able to know how old it is.

And email some pictures of it to Christie's or Sotheby's in NYC. They have a large Jewish population there and at least one of them holds an annual Judaica auction.

Old 11-28-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Seek out a large auction house in your area and see if they will look at it for you. They may not be expert about menorahs, but at least they should be able to know how old it is.

And email some pictures of it to Christie's or Sotheby's in NYC. They have a large Jewish population there and at least one of them holds an annual Judaica auction.
Thanks for this advice. I cleaned it up a bit tonight and am displaying it behind my nativity set - which my mother in law thinks is VERY strange, but hey - Jesus and Mary and Joseph were Jewish!

It's really nice - so big and heavy.

Can you believe I found it in a pile of TRASH in Germany? I mean, I think that's pretty ironic - and sort of sad and mysterious.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:52 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Looks a lot like this one
Russian Samovars - Rare Judaica Antiques, Samovar, Kiddush Cups, Jewish Gifts
Maybe contact the store for more info..

Old 11-29-2012, 05:35 AM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
And please note the dark colour of the one pictured and described as having a "beautiful original dark cinnamon patina." And that's what the serious antique collectors want, the original surface treatment on their collection, whether it's brass or wood. With silver, of course they want it to look silver coloured and not black with tarnish, but with antique silver... never ever have it machine buffed or polished with metal polish or dipped in Tarn-X.

So in the future, don't ever polish your menorah or any other antique brass objects.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And please note the dark colour of the one pictured and described as having a "beautiful original dark cinnamon patina." And that's what the serious antique collectors want, the original surface treatment on their collection, whether it's brass or wood. With silver, of course they want it to look silver coloured and not black with tarnish, but with antique silver... never ever have it machine buffed or polished with metal polish or dipped in Tarn-X.

So in the future, don't ever polish your menorah or any other antique brass objects.
Thanks for the info.

I had to polish this up a little because it had a lot of wax on it. But what I mainly did was pour boiling water over it to loosen the wax, and then buff it up. It still has a nice patina to it. Here's a photo - not a great one because I took it with my "antique" phone, but you can see something to it.

Old 11-29-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I think I will! My daughter actually contacted this store because she found what appears to be a very old, very heavy candelabra, and when she sent them the photos, they told her that they think it dates to the mid 19th century and may be worth around $250!

Old 11-29-2012, 07:40 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
Unless the photo is obscuring part of it, that's not a menorah. It's just a 7-candle candelabra. A menorah would be either 4 on each side and one in the middle.

In synagogues, you'll often find a 7-candle lampstand, which is also called a menorah, because it is one of the symbols of Jerusalem. But the Chanukah Menorah has to have one candle for each night (8 candles), plus an extra, which is used to light each of the other ones (the 9th, known as the shamash, or "helper"). So it'd have 9 branches total, and not 7.

To make it even more confusing, there is an 8-branch candelabra, also known as a menorah, which is the symbol of Judaism. It is also -not- the 7-branch one in your photo, OR the Chanukah menorah.

Further - if it were a chanukah menorah, the middle candleholder would have to be made taller than the other ones. It looks from your photo that all 7 are even in height.

To make it even MORE more confusing - Many of us have traditional oil menrot (plural for menorah), which is one candelabra-looking thing, but it holds oil with wicks, and there is a little seperate oil lantern that you light, and then hold it and use it to light each of the attached ones. That is an 8-burner menorah, plus separate shamash. That's the kind I grew up with, but we stuck candles in where you're supposed to put the oil in each burner instead.

Knowing this, might help you in your search for its value and origins.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:38 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,829,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Unless the photo is obscuring part of it, that's not a menorah. It's just a 7-candle candelabra. A menorah would be either 4 on each side and one in the middle.

In synagogues, you'll often find a 7-candle lampstand, which is also called a menorah, because it is one of the symbols of Jerusalem. But the Chanukah Menorah has to have one candle for each night (8 candles), plus an extra, which is used to light each of the other ones (the 9th, known as the shamash, or "helper"). So it'd have 9 branches total, and not 7.

The OP didn't say it was a "Chanukah Menorah," so what does that have to do with her question? As you, yourself, pointed out, there is an item known as a 7-branch menorah, and that appears to be what the OP has.

Quote:
The 7 branch menorah is one of the oldest symbols of Judaism. It goes all the way back to the first temple in ancient times, and is still seen frequently today. The 7 branch menorah serves as a reminder of the time of the temples, and is also meant to show the 7 days that it took God to create the earth and everything on it, with the center candle holder being used to represent the day on which God rested, the Sabbath. The 7 branch menorah was first used to light the interior of the temple, with the lamps of the candleholders being filled with olive oil and lit daily.
It's a beautiful piece, OP, and I hope you can learn something more about its origin and value.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post

To make it even more confusing, there is an 8-branch candelabra, also known as a menorah, which is the symbol of Judaism. It is also -not- the 7-branch one in your photo, OR the Chanukah menorah.

Further - if it were a chanukah menorah, the middle candleholder would have to be made taller than the other ones. It looks from your photo that all 7 are even in height.

To make it even MORE more confusing - Many of us have traditional oil menrot (plural for menorah), which is one candelabra-looking thing, but it holds oil with wicks, and there is a little seperate oil lantern that you light, and then hold it and use it to light each of the attached ones. That is an 8-burner menorah, plus separate shamash. That's the kind I grew up with, but we stuck candles in where you're supposed to put the oil in each burner instead.

Knowing this, might help you in your search for its value and origins.
There are 7 branch menorahs:

Here's one that looks almost exactly like the one I have:

http://www.russiansamovars.com/images/source/1531
Note that all the candle holders are the same height.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menorah_(Temple)

Here are some interesting articles about 7 branch menorahs:

The Seven Branch Menorah - Symbol of the Jewish Faith

The Orthodox Church uses a seven branched menorah.

This article states that the use of seven branch menorahs among rabbis is in the rise:
Menorah

The seven branch menorah is not used for Chanukah - it can be used for Shabbat, but is usually just used for decoration.

The seven branch menorah is called a Temple Menorah, rather than a Chanukah Menorah, according to my research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Hobbies and Recreation > Collecting and Antiques