Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 03:14 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
If we're going to live like 1900 what are you doing using a computer to get on the internet? Nebraska is a Great Plains state not a Great Lakes state. The closest justification that Nebraska is a natural progression is that Iowa is in the Big 10, but it is by far the least Big 10 of the Big 10 schools anyways as it is also a Plains state and not a Lake state.
Not sure where you are coming from here, Auburn. No part of Iowa is in the Great Plains. It is in a tier of states that runs from MN to IA to MO to AR to LA and none of these are Great Plains. Cross westward into Kansas or Nebraska and you haven't yet reached the plains either. You got to go westward.

Just because a school is named "The University of Iowa" does not mean it is a metaphor for its state, even if its is the state's flagship.

In sports, "The University of California" means Cal and Cal is hardly representative of the image that is California. Public flagship universities far transcend their states.

And in the case of the University of Iowa, you are miles off base. The school is solidly Big Ten by any measure. It's an hour to the Mississippi as Iowa City is far eastern Iowa. The state is easily the most rural of the pre-Nebraska Big Ten, but the Iowa student body hardly matches the state of Iowa's demographics.

A smaller state that has a large and excellent public university has slots for many more out of state students. There is a joke in Iowa City that the school really is the University of Illinois at Iowa, suburban Chicago kids being arguably the largest demographic on campus. This university is as linked to Chicago as much as it is to Des Moines.

No group of Big Ten fans ever traveled to funky, liberal, progressive, green Iowa City and felt they were in the super boonies or a sod house on the little prairie that is the Great Plains.

Indeed Iowa City is far closer to the Great Lakes than the Great Plains, closer in fact than many places within the Great Lakes states themselves. There is no corn on campus at the University of Iowa; they don't even have an ag school.

This place is PURE Big Tens.....and has the the culture and the academic standing to prove it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 03:14 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,626,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Not sure where you are coming from here, Auburn. No part of Iowa is in the Great Plains. It is in a tier of states that runs from MN to IA to MO to AR to LA and none of these are Great Plains. Cross westward into Kansas or Nebraska and you haven't yet reached the plains either. You got to go westward.
Not sure if your geography on that comment- have you ever been to Iowa or Nebraska or Kansas? They are the plains- they are extremely flat, farmland, they are plains. I am from Nebraska, heck every other business in most towns is named "Great Plains" this and "Great Plains" that. I know technically there is an imaginary line between the Great Plains and the central plains that runs down the middle or western parts of Kansas and Nebraska going westward, where the dry high plains begin, with the lower elevation, wetter, more humid plains off to the east. But in general, that entire region between the Rockies and the Great Lakes is plains- very flat, mostly all farmland, with little to no trees besides a few isolated pockets.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:43 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
They added a team outside the geographic area they have always occupied, and the only reason they didn't go even crazier and add Texas is that Texas got a better deal.

I'm no fan of the BCS, but people always argue over which conference is best based on bowl performance. That preserves regionality, and if it doesn't it was the bowl system itself not the BCS that caused it.

Yes using a playoff to determine a champion like every other sport out there is only about money. Never mind that the opponents of a playoff oppose it by saying it makes less money than the current system. And who are those opponents? The Big 10 and Pac 10.

If we're going to live like 1900 what are you doing using a computer to get on the internet? Nebraska is a Great Plains state not a Great Lakes state. The closest justification that Nebraska is a natural progression is that Iowa is in the Big 10, but it is by far the least Big 10 of the Big 10 schools anyways as it is also a Plains state and not a Lake state.
The SEC added Arkansas and South Carolina. Neither state had ties to the SEC. The SEC went outside it's geographic footprint.

The BCS along with ESPN has nationalized the game. People may argue about conferences and what not but the game was much more regional pre-BCS. The SEC was instrumental in starting the BCS. The Big Ten didn't even join it at first.

Jim Delaney, Big Ten Commisioner said a playoff would make 800 million more a year than the current system. And the Big 12 opposed it too. So does Urban Meyer. Truth be told, nobody wants it. You want to send Auburn up to play in Ann Arbor in mid-December? LOLs.

The Big Ten is not a Great Lakes conference. It's a midwest conference. Plus Pennsylvania. Last tiem I checked Nebraska is in the midwest.

Methinks some of these SEC people are stunned that the Big Ten could go out and get the most successful team in the country the last 60 years.

I think they are a little worried they can't run around like a bunch of crybabys and talk about how "tough" their conference is when we got Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, Penn State and Nebraska.

Plus, Big Ten teams will be making about 35 million a year soon as compared to the SEC's 17 miilion.

I wonder how long till we hear.

"Knock, knock....This is Urban. I'm here about the Indiana job." LOLs.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:58 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,606,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Methinks some of these SEC people are stunned that the Big Ten could go out and get the most successful team in the country the last 60 years.
Quote:
That's why we just added Nebraska. The most successful prgram in the country the last 60 years.

OK. You've posted it twice. I'm calling you out now.

They aren't even the most successful team in their own conference in the last sixty years, let alone in all of CFB.

Nebbish is a storied program and one of the most successful of all time. The last sixty years they might come in at #5.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:15 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
OK. You've posted it twice. I'm calling you out now.

They aren't even the most successful team in their own conference in the last sixty years, let alone in all of CFB.

Nebbish is a storied program and one of the most successful of all time. The last sixty years they might come in at #5.

LOLs. Maybe you're right. I just going off the top of my head. 5 national titles. A couple of Heismans. Second most wins since 1950 (behind Ohio State). And didn't they have 40 straight years with at least 9 wins?

They are in the top 2 or 3 for sure.

I always liked Nebraska. In a few years I will hate 'em as much as you Sooners do. LOLs.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:24 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,606,903 times
Quote:
LOLs. Maybe you're right. I just going off the top of my head. 5 national titles. A couple of Heismans. Second most wins since 1950 (behind Ohio State). And didn't they have 40 straight years with at least 9 wins?

They are in the top 2 or 3 for sure.

I always liked Nebraska. In a few years I will hate 'em as much as you Sooners do. LOLs.
I like nebbish, great fans. very knowledgable.

I'm pretty sure tOSU and Nebbish are not top two in wins since 1950. I know OU leads in wins since 1945.

FWIW, Nebbish has had 3 Heisman winners (all after 1950).

They hold the record for consecutive Bowl appearances (35)

Recently though they have only had 3 first round picks in the last 10 years and finished unranked 4 out of the last 6 years.

This is all just off the top of my head...

I just know that are not as successful as OU since 1950. Very close, but not quite.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 06-14-2010 at 05:39 PM..

Old 06-14-2010, 06:21 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,833,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Not sure if your geography on that comment- have you ever been to Iowa or Nebraska or Kansas? They are the plains- they are extremely flat, farmland, they are plains. I am from Nebraska, heck every other business in most towns is named "Great Plains" this and "Great Plains" that. I know technically there is an imaginary line between the Great Plains and the central plains that runs down the middle or western parts of Kansas and Nebraska going westward, where the dry high plains begin, with the lower elevation, wetter, more humid plains off to the east. But in general, that entire region between the Rockies and the Great Lakes is plains- very flat, mostly all farmland, with little to no trees besides a few isolated pockets.
went to school in Iowa City; so I know the culture.

Nebraska and Kansas are pure Great Plains; Iowa not at all. The Great Plains begin slightly to the west of KC and Omaha. Where did I say otherwise?

And, yes, it is a case of climate, not topography.

As for corn laden Iowa, it looks pretty much like corn laden Illinois. Iowa has nothing to do with the Great Plains. And the University of Iowa, as i noted, hardly is any sort of mirror image of its state; the university tilts far more eastward than the state does and lots of areas east of the Mississippi (most notably Chicagoland) have a strong influence on the nature of the university.

Old 06-15-2010, 10:06 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,067,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
went to school in Iowa City; so I know the culture.

Nebraska and Kansas are pure Great Plains; Iowa not at all. The Great Plains begin slightly to the west of KC and Omaha.
This is true. Omaha has a pretty hilly terrain. It doesn't really get flat until you get out to the extreme western parts of the city.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:04 AM

977 posts, read 1,956,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
This is true. Omaha has a pretty hilly terrain. It doesn't really get flat until you get out to the extreme western parts of the city.
That's because it is located in the Loess Hills. The Loess Hills are basically an anomaly in the Great Plains, formed by the Missouri River. The hilliness of the Missouri River corridor is unique within the larger area of the Great Plains.
I would also be hard-pressed to consider Ohio part of the midwest. Indiana, maybe, Ohio, no. Midwest to me encompasses the eastern half of Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, northern Missouri, and I guess Indiana. Ohio is in the east, or even the northeast.

As for the most successful program, unfortunately, nevergoingback is correct. Oklahoma does lead Nebraska since 1945. All-Time Division 1-A College Football (NCAA) Standings Since 1945. If you look at 1960 forward, Nebraska may be ahead, but I can't find any source for that. They started winning in 1962.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:03 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,172,700 times
Quote:
The SEC added Arkansas and South Carolina. Neither state had ties to the SEC. The SEC went outside it's geographic footprint.
Arkansas and South Carolina are both Southern states according to the US government. They're both Southern states according to the people who live there. Thy're both in the South if you ask people outside the states what region of the country they're in. South Carolina still flies the Confederate flag over its state capitol for crying out loud. The states couldn't be more Southern if the people bathed in sweet tea and grits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football