Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 01:15 PM

977 posts, read 1,956,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
Last time I checked, there were no teams removed from the conference when they expanded.
But Nebraska and Oklahoma no longer played each other every year. The importance of that rivalry faded away, and more focus was placed on the Oklahoma/Texas Rivalry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 01:25 PM

1,466 posts, read 4,359,716 times
Quote:
How has the Big 12 been overrated? If anything, they have been underrated big time. As someone that lives in KC, we constantly have to heard about the ACC, SEC, Big East, and Pac-10 from the national media and they completely ignore the Big 12 unless it is Texas. Reading someone saying that the Big 12 is overrated makes me laugh. That is one of the more absurd things I have read in awhile.

Regardless, the conference splitting up has nothing to do with it being overrated or underrated. It is all about money.
The Big XII is 7-10 in BCS bowl games. The only conference that they beat is the ACC. That is including the Mountain West, Big East, and the WAC.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:32 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,459,313 times
Sounds like Nebraska will join Big Ten in 2011

Old 06-11-2010, 01:36 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
No, it wasnt. The Big 12 has done very well over the last 14 years.
I wasn't talking about the conference's performance.

Quote:
Going to be tougher? In what? If anything, it is going to be the same.
In 2009 the Big 12 had two teams with 10+ wins and three ranked teams. The Big 10 had four teams with 10+ wins and four ranked teams.

Quote:
This is one of the few things about this that is not debatable. This is all about getting more money. That's it. Pure greed. There is nothing to debate, this is a fact.
You don't think the chance to be part of a better conference plays into it?

Quote:
Were fans and players consulted on any of this?
Why should they have been? It's not their decision to make.

Quote:
Do you think the players who committed to schools based on them playing in a certain conference and certain schools are happy about this?
I doubt many players are that upset over it.

Quote:
There is not a single fan that I know that is happy about this. If you are, you should be ashamed of yourself. If you're happy about this, you arent a fan at all but you can continue to tell yourself that you are.
Then you must not know many. About 90% of the people I've talked to are in favor of this move.

Quote:
Last time I checked, there were no teams removed from the conference when they expanded.
No, but in Nebraska's case the expansion resulted in only playing their biggest rival every other year.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:37 PM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
Sounds like Nebraska will join Big Ten in 2011
That's when the changes will take effect.

Old 06-11-2010, 01:58 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,505,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
Why is Rutgers even being discussed in this thread? This a college football thread, and Rutgers has no significance in the current college football landscape. Nobody cares who claims to have invented it.

I think this realignment is awesome. The Big XII has been overrated for a long time, and now it is finally being exposed as all the teams jump ship as fast as possible. I would love to see the two Oklahoma schools come over to the SEC West.

The best part of this is when Mizzou gets left out of the mix and has to settle for a mid major conference.
>>>>>
I would love to see the two Oklahoma schools come over to the SEC West.
<<<<<

As would I! For the Sooners/Cowboys it would be much more a cultural/regional fit than the "PAC South."

If we can't keep the Big 12 together, then I'm for one of the following scenarios:

1. If the 5 Big 12 South schools manage to stay together then I definitely seeing the new expanded PAC 16 as a legitimate

2. If Texas jumps ship to the Big10 then I hope that OU/OSU respond to the SEC's invite and join the SEC West.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:01 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,999,253 times
Big East interested in taking KU, KSU, ISU, and MU:

Remaining Big 12 schools to the Big East gaining momentum | Washington Examiner (http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/blogs/Watch-This/Remaining-Big-12-schools-to-the-Big-East-gaining-momentum-96137294.html - broken link)

Old 06-11-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
The Big XII is 7-10 in BCS bowl games. The only conference that they beat is the ACC. That is including the Mountain West, Big East, and the WAC.

Football is one sport of many. They still consistently had teams in the Top 10. About as many as any other conference.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosco55David View Post
I wasn't talking about the conference's performance.
What were you talking about?

Quote:
In 2009 the Big 12 had two teams with 10+ wins and three ranked teams. The Big 10 had four teams with 10+ wins and four ranked teams.
You post a figure from a single season and a single sport. You do realize that this impacts more than football, right?

Quote:
You don't think the chance to be part of a better conference plays into it?
No, absolutely not. If you think that then you are fooling yourself.

Regardless, the Big Ten and Big 12 are about the same level.

Quote:
Why should they have been? It's not their decision to make.
Should they have been consulted? No. Should they have been considered. Absolutely.

At the end of the day, college sports should be about the athletes and the fans that support them. If it isnt, then college sports should just stop operating and shutdown.

This is purely about money and if that doesnt upset you as a fan, you should check your pulse.

Quote:
I doubt many players are that upset over it.
I know people that go to school on Big 12 campuses and I know some people that work in athletic departments in a couple of the schools. The athletes arent very happy about it. They signed up to go to a school, play in a certain conference, and play against certain schools. That is being thrown out the window.

Quote:
Then you must not know many. About 90% of the people I've talked to are in favor of this move.
What? Nebraska fans? I am a hardcore sports fan and only surround myself with people that are as well. Not a single person I have talked to is happy about this. No one should be. If you are, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Quote:
No, but in Nebraska's case the expansion resulted in only playing their biggest rival every other year.
That's a good point but now they dont play them at all. How is this any better?

Nebraska was use to being top dog in football and when the Texas schools came in, they lost that position. Since then, they have been whining about it. You think the Big 10 is going to be any better? Now they get to get their ass kicked by OSU, Penn State, and Michigan each year. I hope they lose every damn game.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:26 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
so recap..

at the moment we have:

-Nebraska has "applied" to the Big Ten ... meaning that they are joining, and it is all a formality from here on out

-Colorado has joined the Pac 10

-Boise has joined the Mountain west

any other "official" moves? i get confused with all the speculation going around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football