Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 08:41 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,781,077 times

Advertisements

Gee, thanks so much, college football for taking one of the most traditional of all sports, the one most honoring of the regular season, and wringing it of all its tradition as you do what you do so well:

chase the buck.

You expand your conferences not only up to a reasonable 12, but we see where you are heading as you leap up to (arguably in the next few days) a mind boggling sixteen.

A college football conference that booms up to the incredible size of 16 is a tradition and a game killers, as is the other true traditional sport, MLB, making a mockery of the regular season by having a division that is shrunk to the size of four teams.

chase the buck.

And when a founding member, the University of Minnesota, of the ancient Big Ten (or Teneven or Not So Sweet Sixteen), the oldest of conferences, can move into the corporately named TCF Bank Stadium, you know that the sport that pretends to be amateur and about scholar athletes can't even keep up the charade.

chase the buck.

So welcome the brave new world of BCS of superconference champs and wild cards and endless private suites and corporate tents with corporate sponsership. The University of Michigan/Presented by GM, Catholic Charities' University of Notre Dame, University of Miami Cruise Ship Association, UCLATan.

It's ESPN's dream come true and, after all, isn't that all that counts. Game Day is a set. Who knows if there is a real campus or football stadium behind it or just a sound stage.

chase the buck.

Pardon me if I tune out of the whole train wreck, although I suspect I'll tune in to high school draft day just for the laughs.

Rutgers vs. Princeton, my ass.

At least we are consistent: we muck up college sports at the same moment we muck up the Gulf of Mexico. You gotta love America.

Besides, who needs college football. There's always college basketball. And the vaunted KU Jayhawks program. I look forward in the new set up to see Kansas play its home and home series every year against Northeast South Dakota State Teachers & Agricultural College at Prairiedog (NESDSTACP, for those who like acronyms). Have fun, folks.

Last edited by edsg25; 06-11-2010 at 08:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 10:07 AM

5,543 posts, read 9,460,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Gee, thanks so much, college football for taking one of the most traditional of all sports, the one most honoring of the regular season, and wringing it of all its tradition as you do what you do so well:

chase the buck.

You expand your conferences not only up to a reasonable 12, but we see where you are heading as you leap up to (arguably in the next few days) a mind boggling sixteen.

A college football conference that booms up to the incredible size of 16 is a tradition and a game killers, as is the other true traditional sport, MLB, making a mockery of the regular season by having a division that is shrunk to the size of four teams.

chase the buck.

And when a founding member, the University of Minnesota, of the ancient Big Ten (or Teneven or Not So Sweet Sixteen), the oldest of conferences, can move into the corporately named TCF Bank Stadium, you know that the sport that pretends to be amateur and about scholar athletes can't even keep up the charade.

chase the buck.

So welcome the brave new world of BCS of superconference champs and wild cards and endless private suites and corporate tents with corporate sponsership. The University of Michigan/Presented by GM, Catholic Charities' University of Notre Dame, University of Miami Cruise Ship Association, UCLATan.

It's ESPN's dream come true and, after all, isn't that all that counts. Game Day is a set. Who knows if there is a real campus or football stadium behind it or just a sound stage.

chase the buck.

Pardon me if I tune out of the whole train wreck, although I suspect I'll tune in to high school draft day just for the laughs.

At least we are consistent: we muck up college sports at the same moment we muck up the Gulf of Mexico. You gotta love America.

Besides, who needs college football. There's always college basketball. And the vaunted KU Jayhawks program. I look forward in the new set up to see Kansas play its home and home series every year against Northeast South Dakota State Teachers & Agricultural College at Prairiedog (NESDSTACP, for those who like acronyms). Have fun, folks.
Great thoughts. It is sad to the extent this will all go down.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:22 AM

623 posts, read 1,536,976 times
Could you be any more over-dramatic?

It's been about the money for the better part of 20 years, probably longer.

If the Big XII presidents hadn't been puppets for the Little 11 and Pac 1, this realignment would have never happened. They choose to partner with those two conferences in rejecting a plus 1, and now those two conferences are going to kill the Big XII. Kansas and whomever else is left out in the cold should only blame themselves.

Last edited by VolDude; 06-11-2010 at 10:33 AM..

Old 06-11-2010, 10:47 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,781,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolDude View Post
Could you be any more over-dramatic?

It's been about the money for the better part of 20 years, probably longer.

If the Big XII presidents hadn't been puppets for the Little 11 and Pac 1, this realignment would have never happened. They choose to partner with those two conferences in rejecting a plus 1, and now those two conferences are going to kill the Big XII. Kansas and whomever else is left out in the cold should only blame themselves.
Sure I could be more over-dramatic. You ain't see nothing yet.

Yes, I'm sure Kansas and K-State are just the same sort of collateral damage that ended up on the rooftops stuck in the Mississippi after Katrina. Let's blame the victims.

Besides, Vol, you guys gave up the ghost of true college athletics years ago. I can't find much difference between the NFL and the SEC, other than there is no Vanderbilt in the NFL.

No such thoughts with us folks in Big Ten country where academics are actually a greater source of pride than athletics. Strange though it may seem to you. Could your orange checker board mind be more off base?

Old 06-11-2010, 10:52 AM

4,841 posts, read 6,854,295 times
Quote:

chase the buck.

chase the buck.

chase the buck.

chase the buck.

I've got to agree with your ramblings. Very little that has changed of late has really helped college sports or the actual athletes as a whole. The rich get richer and everyone else gets thrown under the bus. Bigger is not always better if a consideration for the student athletes is to actually get an education. I mean a REAL education, not general studies and sports appreciation majors. Big time college sports is big business made possible with slave labor.

Incidentally, I tried to find NESDSTACP in my home state, but couldn't. Must be an online matchbook university, but I'm sure they'll scare up a football team that can beat Kansas using Nebraska walk on rejects.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Sure I could be more over-dramatic. You ain't see nothing yet.

Yes, I'm sure Kansas and K-State are just the same sort of collateral damage that ended up on the rooftops stuck in the Mississippi after Katrina. Let's blame the victims.

Besides, Vol, you guys gave up the ghost of true college athletics years ago. I can't find much difference between the NFL and the SEC, other than there is no Vanderbilt in the NFL.

No such thoughts with us folks in Big Ten country where academics are actually a greater source of pride than athletics. Strange though it may seem to you. Could your orange checker board mind be more off base?
The Kansas schools are victims of their own stupidity. The collateral damage of them being homeless is not one of natural occurrence like a hurricane. They made their own bed by holding hands with UT-Austin and now they can deal with it.

Again, it's the NCAA has been about the money for years. Every time the UT-Austins and Little 11s of the world ramble on and on about how academics mean jack crap it's a huge lie. They care about money, which is gained in conference officials eyes by adding large markets and fan bases, not academic schools. If LSU or Alabama wanted to join the Little 11 or Pac 1, they'd gain membership within an hour. Any "it's about the kids" or "it's about academics" talk is a straight up fiction. If the Little 11 cared so much about academics, then Michigan, who they love to prop up as a beacon of government funded scholarship, wouldn't have 90 percent of the football team in General Studies.

Get real. It's about the money 100 percent of the time.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:19 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,016,384 times
Dude that's kinda harsh on the Kansas schools.

You are right that it's all about the money and has been ever since the NCAA/CFA debacle get started in the 80s.

But the Big 8 needed to get into a strategic position right? You're not arguing that they shouldn't have gotten into a conference with Texas are you?

Old 06-11-2010, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Dude that's kinda harsh on the Kansas schools.

You are right that it's all about the money and has been ever since the NCAA/CFA debacle get started in the 80s.

But the Big 8 needed to get into a strategic position right? You're not arguing that they shouldn't have gotten into a conference with Texas are you?
Forming the Big XII 15 years ago wasn't the problem. Their problems started when they let UT-Austin, the Pac 1, and the Little 11 talk them into rejecting a plus one 1-2 years ago, with full knowledge that the Longhorns were looking to maximize their revenue by starting a network and/or jumping ship from the Big XII. Now the haves in that conference practically get their choice of conference while screwing over the rest. If the non-major powers in the Big XII would have rejected the status quo and voted for a plus one model, they wouldn't be Mountain West/WAC teams in 3 years.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:46 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,983,124 times
Quote:

chase the buck.

chase the buck.

chase the buck.

chase the buck.

Game Day is on campus & they wear suits with tennis shoes on...lol...they put up a mesh net so Herbie & Lee won't get hit with the ***** being thrown at them. I know i have been at the set at Ohio St... climbed a tree to see... but it is all about the buck-eyes.... OH-IO....LOL.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:06 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,004,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolDude View Post
The Kansas schools are victims of their own stupidity. The collateral damage of them being homeless is not one of natural occurrence like a hurricane. They made their own bed by holding hands with UT-Austin and now they can deal with it.

Again, it's the NCAA has been about the money for years. Every time the UT-Austins and Little 11s of the world ramble on and on about how academics mean jack crap it's a huge lie. They care about money, which is gained in conference officials eyes by adding large markets and fan bases, not academic schools. If LSU or Alabama wanted to join the Little 11 or Pac 1, they'd gain membership within an hour. Any "it's about the kids" or "it's about academics" talk is a straight up fiction. If the Little 11 cared so much about academics, then Michigan, who they love to prop up as a beacon of government funded scholarship, wouldn't have 90 percent of the football team in General Studies.

Get real. It's about the money 100 percent of the time.
That's true, this obsession with the money has been brewing for a while now. We're just now seeing how ugly it has gotten. It really sickens me that it has become as bad as it is now. I have enjoyed college football over the years more than the NFL because of the fact that historically college football is more about the true competition of the sport, the traditions, and the rivalries. With this obsession with money that all the major universities seem to be focused on now with no regard given to what makes college football so great, it's hard to even distinguish between the NFL and Division I college football anymore. That is truly tragic and IMO we have lost something here that can never be fully repaired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football