Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 06:28 PM

268 posts, read 948,324 times

Advertisements

I'm an SEC fanatic who believes that we have the best football conference, 3 national titles in three years and you know what i'm talking about, but I know other conferences have good and even better teams but not as an overall conference and with the Big 12 losing Colorado to the Pac 1o and Nebraska to the Big 10 speculatively should Texas and A&M jump ship to the SEC, I know Texas gets paid a lot of money in the Big 12 but with the SEC's new contract with ESPN and CBS they would still get between 20 and 28 million a year and think of all the smash mouth football that they would encounter week after week playing the best schools year after year and it would increase the SEC's dominance over college football chime in with your thoughts, I think Texas fits in better with the SEC a lot of people will say go to a conference with better academics but to the average person that argument is rubbish it boils down to money and people wanting to see a good game which is what the SEC can offer the Texas schools, put Texas and A&M in the SEC west and move Alabama or Auburn to the SEC east which would give us a 14 school SUPER conference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 06:33 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,022,641 times
SEC homerism GETS REAL TIRING. (You'd better not be a Carolina fan and say you're the best).

Still I gotta say from a neutral standpoint, it'd be awesome to watch those match ups. Totally awesome.

You make a good point about the football fit, which is ALL this is about.

Don't get Texas' elitism with the academic hemming and hawing, DO THOSE FANS CARE? No, they will do WHATEVER IT TAKES to get to national championships.

Plus, we see that it's all about the money, no one cares about academics or the students AT ALL.

I don't think it'll happen from what I am hearing though. A and M may come but Texas seems to want to West.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:36 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,345,306 times
The SEC is my conference, too, but I doubt you'll see either Texas school there any time soon. I wouldn't be surprised if the SEC expands to keep pace, but according to what I've been reading, I think some combo of Virginia Tech, Florida St, Clemson, Miami or North Carolina are more likely to join (sorry, ACC).

Old 06-11-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
SEC homerism GETS REAL TIRING. (You'd better not be a Carolina fan and say you're the best).

Still I gotta say from a neutral standpoint, it'd be awesome to watch those match ups. Totally awesome.

You make a good point about the football fit, which is ALL this is about.

Don't get Texas' elitism with the academic hemming and hawing, DO THOSE FANS CARE? No, they will do WHATEVER IT TAKES to get to national championships.

Plus, we see that it's all about the money, no one cares about academics or the students AT ALL.

I don't think it'll happen from what I am hearing though. A and M may come but Texas seems to want to West.

It's not Homerism, it's a fact that Football wise the SEC is the best conference, all of the other sports I don't care about, what sport does most universities make most of their sports revenue from FOOTBALL and no other conference will give the SEC it's props so the fans do it for them.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
The SEC is my conference, too, but I doubt you'll see either Texas school there any time soon. I wouldn't be surprised if the SEC expands to keep pace, but according to what I've been reading, I think some combo of Virginia Tech, Florida St, Clemson, Miami or North Carolina are more likely to join (sorry, ACC).

I pray to God that this doesn't happen, it may look good academically but Football wise we would probably be disapointted but we may start winning more basketball titles with this combination.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:46 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,345,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT 3000 View Post
I pray to God that this doesn't happen, it may look good academically but Football wise we would probably be disapointted but we may start winning more basketball titles with this combination.
Very true, except for Virginia Tech. To be honest, I'd like to see VA and NC represented in the SEC. I've even heard speculation about Louisville joining. Now that would kill us for football, but be great for the hardwood.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:53 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,557 times
While I'd love to see Auburn move to the SEC East where it should have been to begin with, I'd rather Texas and Texas A&M stay in the Big 12 weakened or otherwise. They're a long road trip for most schools even though they border SEC states especially when there are perfectly good SEC fit schools in the ACC if the SEC wants to expand.

Given how long Nebraska's been mediocre it may well be a decade or more if ever before they become good again. Maybe a big loss maybe not. Colorado's been an embarassment to the Big 12 on and off the field in recent years. No big loss. Shoot while the Big 12 is taking on new members I wouldn't be against them giving Missouri its wish to be free of the Big 12 by kicking them out. With all of that all the Big 12 has really lost is the possibility of a revived Nebraska program. The Big 12 could pick some of the other former SWC members, take some WAC, MWC, or CUSA schools outside Texas, or try to get Montana and Montana State to make the jump to DIA. Any one of those options would be a natural evolution, and wouldn't leave the Big 12 in a significantly worse situation than it was last year.

Old 06-11-2010, 06:58 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,169,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNKY View Post
Please, please keep Clemson and Virginia Tech out of the SEC, and please add Georgia Tech to the possible list. Virginia Tech is too far north, and the House that Vick built may very collapse when Beamer goes. Plus they're the Turkeys for crying out loud. Clemson doesn't seem to be far ahead of Ole Miss or Mississippi State as far as facilities and record goes, and I am just plain against having three of any one mascot in a conference. The SEC has two tigers and two bulldogs already. Schools with those mascots need not apply.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:19 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
ESPN is reporting Texas is going to the Pac 10, although A & M is still 50/50 on Pac 10 or SEC. I can't see them not being in the same conference as Texas

Old 06-11-2010, 07:25 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PT 3000 View Post
..... a lot of people will say go to a conference with better academics but to the average person that argument is rubbish.....
Obviously so, given that long, run-on sentence.

Thing is, Texas also wants to compete for national championships. Having to go through the SEC each year makes that tougher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football