Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2021, 03:57 PM

12,022 posts, read 11,562,088 times

Advertisements

The SEC would become a 16-team superconference if it added two of college sports' top programs

Quote:
Citing "a high-ranking college official with knowledge of the situation," the Chronicle reports that the SEC could announce the additions of the Longhorns and Sooners "within a couple of weeks."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2021, 04:25 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,860,814 times
Just Googled this and saw the headlines. That would destroy the Big 12 and end its reign as a Power conference.

You would be left with the Big Ten (1G), SEC, ACC, and PAC 12. At least it makes the math a little easier since there is an even number of super conferences. You could take the conference champions and put them in the playoffs. Notre Dame would need to officially join the ACC for football (which it is a member of except for football).

Old 07-21-2021, 04:37 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
I remember years ago when the Pac-12 was going after 4 Big-12 teams, including Texas and Oklahoma, to make a Pac-16 super conference, but nothing ever materialized from that, I think Oklahoma State and Texas Tech were the other 2 teams.

I guess the SEC would be a better fit for Texas and Oklahoma, instead of the Pac-12.

I think four 16 team "super conferences" would probably be the way to go, even though it spreads the footprint for those conferences out pretty far and Notre Dame would still an independent in football.

I would add West Virginia and Iowa State to the Big Ten. Then you would have Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Baylor, TCU and Texas Tech to go to either the ACC or Pac-12, no real good options there to divide those teams up.

Old 07-21-2021, 05:10 PM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I remember years ago when the Pac-12 was going after 4 Big-12 teams, including Texas and Oklahoma, to make a Pac-16 super conference, but nothing ever materialized from that, I think Oklahoma State and Texas Tech were the other 2 teams.

I guess the SEC would be a better fit for Texas and Oklahoma, instead of the Pac-12.

I think four 16 team "super conferences" would probably be the way to go, even though it spreads the footprint for those conferences out pretty far and Notre Dame would still an independent in football.

I would add West Virginia and Iowa State to the Big Ten. Then you would have Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Baylor, TCU and Texas Tech to go to either the ACC or Pac-12, no real good options there to divide those teams up.
WVU is in a tough spot. They aren't really appealing to the B1G or the ACC due to academics although geographically they fit both. Iowa State and Kansas would work academically for the B1G. The question is whether having KU's trainwreck of a football program is worth having a Blueblood Basketball program. And then you have to consider if ISU football is a flash in the pan right now.

As far as OU goes, I think the majority of the fans who wanted a move wanted SEC over B1G or PAC. Some people wanted B1G because it would enhance OU's academic image.

Texas always thought they were "too good" for the SEC. They seem to be split among the people who want a move. But it seems to be more PAC and ACC than B1G. The PAC supporters see Austin as a fit for the west coast. The ACC supporters see the academic prowess of the league. I think they feel like the B1G is too cold and too far away.

Whoever in the Big XII were to get left out is probably looking at Group of 5 membership. But if they joined one of those leagues AS a group then that G5 league would rise above the other G5 leagues.

Old 07-21-2021, 05:57 PM

8,803 posts, read 10,236,737 times
Dear God the last alignment with A&M and Missouri going to the SEC and Colorado and Nebraska also leaving the Big 12 made my head spin. This would mean that what, 9 mouths (rest of the big 12) would have find a new dinner table.

Old 07-21-2021, 06:01 PM

3,505 posts, read 761,791 times
i have said before in some other thread .. would love to have Oklahoma`s softball and gymnastics programs in the sec ..

Old 07-21-2021, 07:30 PM

3,834 posts, read 4,437,964 times
WOW! TCU alum here. We're screwed if this happens.
I gotta say I'm surprised Texas would go for this. Going to the SEC now mean that Texas high school recruits are now opened up even more to the SEC. It was bad enough that A&M leaving created the first opening.

Plus the other issue. Texas cant even win the Big 12 on a regular basis right now. Do they honestly think they stand a chance in hell of winning anything in the SEC when you have Alabama, LSU, Georgia and Florida? I would be shocked if they are competitive with Auburn. Longhorn fans think the championship drought is bad right now, it's about to get even worse in the SEC.

Old 07-22-2021, 04:18 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
WVU is in a tough spot. They aren't really appealing to the B1G or the ACC due to academics although geographically they fit both. Iowa State and Kansas would work academically for the B1G. The question is whether having KU's trainwreck of a football program is worth having a Blueblood Basketball program. And then you have to consider if ISU football is a flash in the pan right now.

As far as OU goes, I think the majority of the fans who wanted a move wanted SEC over B1G or PAC. Some people wanted B1G because it would enhance OU's academic image.

Texas always thought they were "too good" for the SEC. They seem to be split among the people who want a move. But it seems to be more PAC and ACC than B1G. The PAC supporters see Austin as a fit for the west coast. The ACC supporters see the academic prowess of the league. I think they feel like the B1G is too cold and too far away.

Whoever in the Big XII were to get left out is probably looking at Group of 5 membership. But if they joined one of those leagues AS a group then that G5 league would rise above the other G5 leagues.
Good points, I thought about Iowa State and Kansas joining the Big Ten, then have Notre Dame become a full member of the ACC along with West Virginia.

Texas and Oklahoma join the SEC, TCU moves back down to a Group of 5 conference (sorry TCU!), then have Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Baylor join the Pac-12 and be done with it, four 16-team super conferences!

Old 07-22-2021, 06:40 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Texas is not a cultural & academic fit with the SEC like OU is. More like the PAC 12.
As someone mentioned, it makes the playoff math easier with 4 super conferences & 4 at large picks.

As far as recruiting goes, A&M would be screwed... what with more Texas kids preferring OU & UT so they could play in the SEC. So I can see why they would fight this deal.

Plus the SEC wouldn’t just be Bama.

I laughed at this clever twit:
Tweet
Austin Wood
@AWood405
·
12h
Plot twist. OU and Texas join the SEC, meanwhile, Texas A&M joins the Big 12 to save them and talks mad trash about the SEC and still finishes behind TCU and misses the playoff. #sec #aggies #big12

Old 07-22-2021, 01:21 PM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Good points, I thought about Iowa State and Kansas joining the Big Ten, then have Notre Dame become a full member of the ACC along with West Virginia.

Texas and Oklahoma join the SEC, TCU moves back down to a Group of 5 conference (sorry TCU!), then have Kansas State, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech and Baylor join the Pac-12 and be done with it, four 16-team super conferences!
I hope the old Big 8 schools find some good landing spots in P5 leagues like you describe here. I'm pretty sentimental about them. The rest of them I don't really care what happens to them.

And I think ScoPro described the preference of what I call the majority of the "snob" element of the Austin UT fan base. They like the PAC because they liken Austin and UT's vibe to that of California. I think perhaps there is more sentiment for the ACC in the "snob" base for those outside Austin who are wanting Texas to maintain a quasi southern footprint.

I would be curious what conference the T-shirt Texas fans support on realignment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football