Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2011, 12:32 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,032,916 times

Advertisements

^^^I'm excited about tonight's game too! Since the game isn't televised I'll be listening to the game on the radio while I watch some other games on TV in the background. I didn't realize that coach Fran was the HC at Texas State. Tech will be favored of course, but this game concerns me a little bit since coach Fran is the former A&M HC. He might have that Bobcat team more ready for an upset than perhaps some other teams. I still think we will win though, we should have much better talent overall on both sides of the ball than the Bobcats have. Wreck 'Em Tech!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2011, 03:00 PM

2,327 posts, read 3,935,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
^^^I'm excited about tonight's game too! Since the game isn't televised I'll be listening to the game on the radio while I watch some other games on TV in the background. I didn't realize that coach Fran was the HC at Texas State. Tech will be favored of course, but this game concerns me a little bit since coach Fran is the former A&M HC. He might have that Bobcat team more ready for an upset than perhaps some other teams. I still think we will win though, we should have much better talent overall on both sides of the ball than the Bobcats have. Wreck 'Em Tech!
It's available for viewing on Raidervision for $10, but you must unsubscribe after it's over to avoid the automatic monthly renewal.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:04 AM

Well, it was a nail biter for two and a half quarters, but Tech settled down to take care of business for a 50-10 final. Both the defense and offense started out very slow, allowing a 10-0 run in the first 14 minutes. Tech then scored nine in a minute. After a 40-yd pass to Darrin Moore, Bradley Marquez caught his first pass as a Red Raider in the end zone. Subsequently, Tech was awarded a safety after the Texas State QB was called for intentional grounding. The score remained constant until the third quarter, when the floodgates opened.

My favorite offensive play has to be Eric Stephens's 41-yard needle-thread rush up the middle for a TD. That may have been the big morale buster for the Bobcats' D.

Tech's defense had some good plays, like the safety, some fumble recoveries, tackles for loss, and a sack/fumble late.

I didn't see many big issues with the special teams, which is good.

Once Doege settled down, he looked almost like a seasoned vet. He threw no ints., and looked pretty impressive down the stretch. Karam also looked good in his brief time, throwing a TD.

Moore broke a school record for most receiving yards in a season opener with 221. Nice.

Ultimately, it was a tale of two halves, and the second was key. The team needs to improve before heading off to Albuquerque in two weeks.

Old 09-04-2011, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Tech will be favored of course, but this game concerns me a little bit since coach Fran is the former A&M HC. He might have that Bobcat team more ready for an upset than perhaps some other teams. I still think we will win though, we should have much better talent overall on both sides of the ball than the Bobcats have. Wreck 'Em Tech!
He and his staff did seem to pull out a lot of tricks. He had coached two other teams at Jones Stadium, so he probably knew what to expect with the crowd, at least. Looks like your predictions were right on.

Old 09-04-2011, 11:11 AM

8,746 posts, read 9,032,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
Well, it was a nail biter for two and a half quarters, but Tech settled down to take care of business for a 50-10 final. Both the defense and offense started out very slow, allowing a 10-0 run in the first 14 minutes. Tech then scored nine in a minute. After a 40-yd pass to Darrin Moore, Bradley Marquez caught his first pass as a Red Raider in the end zone. Subsequently, Tech was awarded a safety after the Texas State QB was called for intentional grounding. The score remained constant until the third quarter, when the floodgates opened.

My favorite offensive play has to be Eric Stephens's 41-yard needle-thread rush up the middle for a TD. That may have been the big morale buster for the Bobcats' D.

Tech's defense had some good plays, like the safety, some fumble recoveries, tackles for loss, and a sack/fumble late.

I didn't see many big issues with the special teams, which is good.

Once Doege settled down, he looked almost like a seasoned vet. He threw no ints., and looked pretty impressive down the stretch. Karam also looked good in his brief time, throwing a TD.

Moore broke a school record for most receiving yards in a season opener with 221. Nice.

Ultimately, it was a tale of two halves, and the second was key. The team needs to improve before heading off to Albuquerque in two weeks.
It was indeed a tale of two halves...lol. I was a little concerned at halftime but the Red Raiders came out in the second half and took care of business! As you said, Moore had an incredible night and Stephens racked up 118 yards of rushing. Doege was a little slow out of the gate but he was very impressive in the second half. I figured coach Fran would throw in a few surprises, he always coached a tough game against us when he was the HC at A&M. Overall, I was pleased with the defense. As you noted, they made several key plays that made a difference in the game. Tubs summed it up pretty well after the game in a radio interview. He said he was happy with the win but also said they have to be able to play well in all 4 quarters if they're going win more games down the stretch. I certainly agree with that and I hope they will continue to improve over the next couple of weeks. I hate it that they have a bye week next week, it's way too early in the season for that! You really need a bye week later in the schedule to get rested up and/or help players recover from any injuries, etc. I'll miss seeing them next week but I'll certainly be watching the game on TV against the Lobos in two weeks! Go Tech!

Old 09-04-2011, 11:54 PM

Quote:
It was indeed a tale of two halves...lol. I was a little concerned at halftime but the Red Raiders came out in the second half and took care of business! As you said, Moore had an incredible night and Stephens racked up 118 yards of rushing. Doege was a little slow out of the gate but he was very impressive in the second half. I figured coach Fran would throw in a few surprises, he always coached a tough game against us when he was the HC at A&M. Overall, I was pleased with the defense. As you noted, they made several key plays that made a difference in the game. Tubs summed it up pretty well after the game in a radio interview. He said he was happy with the win but also said they have to be able to play well in all 4 quarters if they're going win more games down the stretch. I certainly agree with that and I hope they will continue to improve over the next couple of weeks. I hate it that they have a bye week next week, it's way too early in the season for that! You really need a bye week later in the schedule to get rested up and/or help players recover from any injuries, etc. I'll miss seeing them next week but I'll certainly be watching the game on TV against the Lobos in two weeks! Go Tech!
Looking forward to the 17th. In the meantime, here's a comprehensive report on last night's game (video on right):

Texas Tech rallies to beat Texas State 50-10|myFOXlubbock | FOX 34 News KJTV Lubbock, Texas

Also, here's something on a place with a view across the street from Jones Stadium.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:22 PM

"Wes Welker can't be stopped!"

--Jones Stadium scoreboard, 2002

Still true.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:52 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
"Wes Welker can't be stopped!"

--Jones Stadium scoreboard, 2002

Still true.
Yeh, he ain't bad for an OK City boy. Stoops & Co. should have never passed on the fast white boy from Heritage Hall.

Old 09-12-2011, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Yeh, he ain't bad for an OK City boy. Stoops & Co. should have never passed on the fast white boy from Heritage Hall.
Thanks for the gift!

Really, just about every cfb program has recruits that it passed on for whatever reason, only to see them star on another team (Tannehill, anyone?). It happens due to scholarship limits and because of things like recruits becoming ill at camps, altering 40 times. (I still don't know what happened with Tannehill.)

Old 09-13-2011, 07:52 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Really, just about every cfb program has recruits that it passed on for whatever reason, only to see them star on another team (Tannehill, anyone?). It happens due to scholarship limits and because of things like recruits becoming ill at camps, altering 40 times. (I still don't know what happened with Tannehill.)
And some coaches, by offering scholarships to juniors, grossly misjudge the true quality of the players they sign. No better example than many of the Longhorn players of the last year. No WR that could catch the ball. No good RBs. And terrible OL play. I imagine Mack has fixed some of that and will be a bit more careful with the players they offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football