Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 04:52 PM

2,326 posts, read 3,933,422 times

Advertisements

First, the game yesterday in Albuquerque was probably a no-win situation. Even though Tech won 52-17, it sure seemed like New Mexico had already written off the season with its uninspired play. In the past, playing at home against one of its most hated teams would have definitely awakened the Lobos and the fans, but apparently not this time. I would say that their head coach's seat may be the hottest in the nation.

Second, this week Tech will play host to the number six team in front of a record-breaking capacity crowd in a newly expanded and renovated stadium with two of the best coaches in the nation, so ESPN chooses Auburn vs. Clemson for their Gameday location. Wha??? I guess Tech really does need a better conference.

Anyway, I saw some improvement last night, but I hope to see a lot more this week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 05:47 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,030,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
Anyway, I saw some improvement last night, but I hope to see a lot more this week.
Yeah, I certainly hope that Tech has more improvement this week. They'll need it when the Horns come to town next weekend. I was really glad to see the special teams play better this week after their horrible performance last week. They made a huge impact in last night's game. My biggest concern going into the Texas game is the same one I had last week, our QB. Once again, Potts threw several passes that were almost intercepted. Texas will eat us alive with those kinds of mistakes so I hope Potts gets it together this week. I think we have a better chance to win against Texas by playing them this early in the year since they have a lot of new players and a new QB this year. Being at home will help too. The Horns had a pretty bad experience the last time they came to Lubbock in 2008!...lol. Guns Up! Wreck 'Em Tech!

Old 09-13-2010, 12:33 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,501,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
Yeah, I certainly hope that Tech has more improvement this week. They'll need it when the Horns come to town next weekend. I was really glad to see the special teams play better this week after their horrible performance last week. They made a huge impact in last night's game. My biggest concern going into the Texas game is the same one I had last week, our QB. Once again, Potts threw several passes that were almost intercepted. Texas will eat us alive with those kinds of mistakes so I hope Potts gets it together this week. I think we have a better chance to win against Texas by playing them this early in the year since they have a lot of new players and a new QB this year. Being at home will help too. The Horns had a pretty bad experience the last time they came to Lubbock in 2008!...lol. Guns Up! Wreck 'Em Tech!

Old 09-19-2010, 03:22 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,125,951 times
Good game...but good games dont do much for ya now does Tech?? See ya next yr in Austin!!! Hook 'Em Horns!!!

Old 09-19-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post
Good game...but good games dont do much for ya now does Tech?? See ya next yr in Austin!!! Hook 'Em Horns!!!
Oh, I was so frustrated with that game last night!! The Texas defense stomped us pretty good. Our offense was awful. We were 3-13 on third down conversions and had -14 rushing yards and 3 turnovers. Tech only had a total of 144 yards of offense, the worst offensive performance in 10 years.

At least our defense played well...lol.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:05 PM

Default Just got back

I'm always struck by how much better the dewpoint is in West Texas than the I-35 corridor. I don't know why I don't just pack up and leave to go to the High Plains.

Anyway, it kills me to say this, but hats off to the Longhorns for a well-executed plan, as well as having defensive playmakers like Eddie Jones and the last names that end in vowels.

As for the Red Raiders, when a team starts its first offensive play with a bad snap, it's probably in trouble. The team seemed to lose a quarter just dealing with repercussions from that play.

So, here are my grades for yesterday's performance:

Offense: F

Defense: B (would be an A if not for dumb unsportsmanlike conduct)

Special teams: C (my neighbor's cat from 400 miles away could have known that the Horns were going to fake that punt, otherwise it would be a B)

Still need improvement. Maybe it's good that the team has a bye week.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the coaches need to use these next two weeks to work on the offense, especially the offensive line. They haven't been protecting the QB or opening lanes for the RB's. If they can't improve the offensive line, IMHO Sheffield should start as QB in the next game. He's more accurate on passing when hurried and can even run the ball well. He would perform better than Potts with a weak offensive line. Sheffield performed very well in last year's game against that tough Nebraska defense. IMO Sheffield played a key role in that win.

Old 09-19-2010, 08:05 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,573,645 times
Quote:
I'm always struck by how much better the dewpoint is in West Texas than the I-35 corridor. I don't know why I don't just pack up and leave to go to the High Plains.

Anyway, it kills me to say this, but hats off to the Longhorns for a well-executed plan, as well as having defensive playmakers like Eddie Jones and the last names that end in vowels.

As for the Red Raiders, when a team starts its first offensive play with a bad snap, it's probably in trouble. The team seemed to lose a quarter just dealing with repercussions from that play.

So, here are my grades for yesterday's performance:

Offense: F

Defense: B (would be an A if not for dumb unsportsmanlike conduct)

Special teams: C (my neighbor's cat from 400 miles away could have known that the Horns were going to fake that punt, otherwise it would be a B)

That's exactly how I would have graded it!

Old 09-25-2010, 06:35 PM

Default Bye is tough!

I'm with Tuberville on this one, that Bye should not be played this early in the season. It's a brutal opponent. You just can't beat it.

That said, a new video board will be in place for the next game in Lubbock. It will be twice as big as the old one, and will be HD next season. The athletic department also hopes to have a larger HD board in place above the south end zone, as well as a ribbon board next year.

I did see that the offense has shown encouraging signs in practice, so we'll see how that goes next week in Ames.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I'm with Tuberville on this one, that Bye should not be played this early in the season. It's a brutal opponent. You just can't beat it.

That said, a new video board will be in place for the next game in Lubbock. It will be twice as big as the old one, and will be HD next season. The athletic department also hopes to have a larger HD board in place above the south end zone, as well as a ribbon board next year.

I did see that the offense has shown encouraging signs in practice, so we'll see how that goes next week in Ames.
Yeah, it's way too early to have a bye week. Sometimes you need that later in the season to recover from injuries. I was just reading about the new video boards a couple of days ago. That's great news!
They really need one on the south end because some people in the new north end zone sections can't see the current video board.

We sure need a win at Iowa State next week. Wreck 'Em Tech!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football