Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2013, 05:58 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Uh oh. We (KS State) play you guys at home.
Buy you don't have to worry about playing Texas here in Austin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 06:14 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,537,546 times
We (KSU) have been pretty lucky against Mack Brown and crew. I don't believe in that hype that "we have their number" though. I noticed KSU is not even in the top 25 preseason poll this year. Which I think will actually work in their favor.

Any predictions on TT's record this year? BTW, as TT Dave knows, I have always liked TT. They play OU tough year in and year out regardless of their rankings.

And if they beat OU, they are my all time second favorite team in the world.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:59 AM

8,746 posts, read 9,032,916 times
Quote:
Uh oh. We (KS State) play you guys at home.
Quote:
Any predictions on TT's record this year? BTW, as TT Dave knows, I have always liked TT. They play OU tough year in and year out regardless of their rankings.

As I've told you before redbird, I like the Wildcats as well and have a deep respect for coach Snyder. However, I hope Tech beats K State this year! I really hope Tech beats OU too...lol.

Since Tech is a young, inexperienced team with a new coaching staff this year, I think they are realistically looking at probably 6-6 or maybe 7-5 this year at best. Maybe they'll end up winning a game or two I don't expect them to win, that's always nice!...lol.

With that being said, I think with Kliff Kingsbury at the helm, things will improve rapidly. By next season I think Tech will be a force to be reckoned with. Kingsbury runs Mike Leach's offense for the most part (he played under Leach and set many records at Tech as a QB). Things are looking up for Tech in the long run!

Old 08-28-2013, 01:56 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Three Lake Travis QBs on the field saturday - Garret Gilbert (SMU), Baker Mayfield, and Michael Brewer. Those three have each won a state high school championship (Gilbert = two) during Lake Travis 5 in a row run.

Who starts for TT?

Old 08-28-2013, 03:22 PM

Snyder is the best coach in the Dinky Dozen, second is Medium Game Bob Stoops, then Art Briles, followed by all the rest.

It will be interesting to watch Kingsbury this season. I've always had a high regard for that tough young man.

Old 08-28-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Three Lake Travis QBs on the field saturday - Garret Gilbert (SMU), Baker Mayfield, and Michael Brewer. Those three have each won a state high school championship (Gilbert = two) during Lake Travis 5 in a row run.

Who starts for TT?
Brewer was named the starter a while back but he's injured. The last I heard it's a game time decision on whether he plays on Friday. If he's not the QB on Friday, Mayfield or Webb will play. Mayfield and Webb are both freshmen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Snyder is the best coach in the Dinky Dozen, second is Medium Game Bob Stoops, then Art Briles, followed by all the rest.

It will be interesting to watch Kingsbury this season. I've always had a high regard for that tough young man.
Medium Game Bob...ha! That's a good one ScoPro....lol. Kliff is a great guy, no doubt! I know he's a great offensive coach and I certainly hope he turns out to be a great head coach.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:34 PM

2,327 posts, read 3,935,664 times
Gameday

Don't know if this is set in stone, or even legitimate, but here is what the Lubbock newspaper thinks is the depth chart:
Texas Tech-SMU Depth Charts | Red Raiders
This isn't coming directly from the AD's, so take it fwiw.

My take: the OL has its work cut out for it. Mayfield or Webb or whoever takes the snaps will probably need to make lightning-quick decisions.

The DB's need to play lights out, and the pass rush needs to create mayhem.

Hoping (as always) for good things from the ST's.

Tonight's game (7 Central on ESPN) is the first advance sellout (including grassy areas) of SMU's stadium in its history.

Old 08-30-2013, 02:46 PM

^^I agree, the QB had better be able to think fast!...lol. I just saw a link on ESPN saying that Mayfield will start, according to a "team source" they said. Kliff has been saying it's a game time decision so I guess we'll see if that's true or not. I hope Tech will be able to run the ball enough to take some of the pressure off the QB.

I also agree that Tech's defense needs to play well. Both SMU and Tech have high octane offenses so they'll probably both score a lot of points. If Tech's defense can slow SMU down they'll have a decent chance to win tonight in Dallas.

That's cool that tonight's game is a sellout, it should be a good game! Wreck 'Em Tech!

Old 08-30-2013, 04:15 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
We (KSU) have been pretty lucky against Mack Brown and crew. I don't believe in that hype that "we have their number" though. I noticed KSU is not even in the top 25 preseason poll this year. Which I think will actually work in their favor.

I say cut-off the teams from the old Big 12 North (sorry RedBird!). RB, I guess you'll have to cheer for the Shorthorns, but then you'll be perpetually queezy from having to look at all that grotesque burnt orange all the time.

I just have zero interest in the northern teams without Nebraska there. How the Big 12 Brass ever let the Cornhuskers get away is just beyond me.

This is not the same league....nowhere near as exciting and generally perceived as a weaker conference because of our defections. The Big 12 is nothing more than an amped up Western Athletic Conference.......we can sling the ball all over the field, but have no D whatsoever.

I'd like to see 'em hire Switzer again and make these boys mean like they used to....now we have a bunch of prima donnas from Cali who know little and care nothing about Oklahoma's greatness/unmatched tradition.

Old 08-30-2013, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I say cut-off the teams from the old Big 12 North (sorry RedBird!). RB, I guess you'll have to cheer for the Shorthorns, but then you'll be perpetually queezy from having to look at all that grotesque burnt orange all the time.

I just have zero interest in the northern teams without Nebraska there. How the Big 12 Brass ever let the Cornhuskers get away is just beyond me.

This is not the same league....nowhere near as exciting and generally perceived as a weaker conference because of our defections. The Big 12 is nothing more than an amped up Western Athletic Conference.......we can sling the ball all over the field, but have no D whatsoever.

I'd like to see 'em hire Switzer again and make these boys mean like they used to....now we have a bunch of prima donnas from Cali who know little and care nothing about Oklahoma's greatness/unmatched tradition.
Thought you didn't like orange? Hire Switzer and your stars will be wearing orange jail jumpsuits again.

Besides, the prisons are crowded enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football