Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2013, 08:36 PM

2,327 posts, read 3,935,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
^^^Yeah, Iowa State will not be an easy win! Like you said they've lost some very close games this year and they've beat Tech in recent years. They probably also have a chip on their shoulder about the UT game last week. They'll be mad and ready to beat someone...lol. I certainly agree that Tech will need to have minimal mistakes and penalties in this game. I'm a little concerned about the QB situation with Mayfield being out. Webb hasn't played a full game yet so I hope he'll do well!
Pretty spot-on predictions. Iowa State seemed to do everything they could to trip up Tech, and it definitely seemed to work in the first half. Tech appeared to pull it together somewhat the last 30 minutes, and it was enough (barely), for a 42-35 win.

Here's what I liked:

Iowa State's heart, special teams, maturity, and class
Tech's rebound from another slow start
The Chamber of Commerce weather (high near 80 with low humidity--sorry UT & OU fans who went to Dallas)

Now the games only get harder. Next up: WVU in Morgantown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2013, 09:43 AM

8,746 posts, read 9,032,916 times
^^^Yeah, Tech found a way to win depite another slow start and multiple mistakes. Iowa State's special teams played very well and kept giving them chances to score so I'm glad Tech found a way in the 4th quarter to win the game. Iowa State always plays well against us so I have a lot of respect for them as well.

It will be harder to beat WVU in Morgantown! I think Tech can win that game but they'll need to play better overall than they did this week.

Old 10-17-2013, 08:06 PM

Default @ West Virginia: Sat., 11 AM Central/Noon Eastern

Greetings from the Beltway. Was warm when I got here, but should be more seasonable by Saturday.

There are several things that stick out when analyzing the matchup. First is the true road game atmosphere, which Tech hasn't really faced this season (SMU was about 70% or so Tech fans, and it seemed like a lot of Kansas fans were already looking ahead to their game at Cameron Indoor Stadium). Second, Dana Holgorsen is very familiar with Kliff Kingsbury, having coached him in the early part of the last decade and being a co-worker in the latter part. They even roomed together at Houston. Finally, WVU is undefeated this season at home, including the stunner vs. Oklahoma State.

The Tech O needs to play its game, hold on to the ball, and keep composure. The D should just listen to the coaches. The ST's need to rebound from last week. Should be a good one.

Old 10-17-2013, 10:28 PM

^^^Yeah, Dana Holgorsen is certainly very familiar with Kliff. I agree that the game day atmosphere will be a lot different in Morgantown. I also agree that Tech can't afford to have turnovers. If they can play well on offense with minimal mistakes and continue to play good defense they should have a chance to win. Wreck 'Em Tech!

Old 10-19-2013, 02:41 PM

Tech is 7-0...wow! They made a lot of mistakes today against WVU, including numerous penalties and two critical turnovers. The defense also didn't play as well as they have been so I thought they might let that game slip away. I'm glad they were able to overcome all of that and find a way to win!

Next up is OU. That'll be the toughest game so far since the game is in Norman. If Tech can minimize the mistakes and penalties, and play more consistent defense than they did this week, they might have a chance to win.

Old 10-20-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
Tech is 7-0...wow! They made a lot of mistakes today against WVU, including numerous penalties and two critical turnovers. The defense also didn't play as well as they have been so I thought they might let that game slip away. I'm glad they were able to overcome all of that and find a way to win!

Next up is OU. That'll be the toughest game so far since the game is in Norman. If Tech can minimize the mistakes and penalties, and play more consistent defense than they did this week, they might have a chance to win.
Exactly. Will probably be the toughest game yet this season.

Would highly recommend Morgantown for a road trip. The people are very friendly, and remind me of Lubbockites in that respect. People were very gracious in spite of the game's outcome.

As for the game itself, the defense was up and down for whatever reason. The special teams improved from last week, and the offense at least got experience playing in front of a hostile crowd. The team may have lucked out a little with the weather, as it got really cold and wet about half an hour after the finish (the conditions today are spectacular).

Old 10-25-2013, 06:00 PM

Default @ Oklahoma: Sat. at 2:30 PM CT, FOX

This game is pivotal for both teams. For OU, it virtually erases what happened in Dallas and allows for a possibility to end their season on a very, very high note. For Tech, it proves the naysayers wrong, pretty much guarantees a zoo in Lubbock the following weekend, and puts Tech in rare air not seen since 2008.

Tech just needs to take care of business.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:08 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,506,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
This game is pivotal for both teams. For OU, it virtually erases what happened in Dallas and allows for a possibility to end their season on a very, very high note. For Tech, it proves the naysayers wrong, pretty much guarantees a zoo in Lubbock the following weekend, and puts Tech in rare air not seen since 2008.

Tech just needs to take care of business.
I'll be surprised if it's close.

The talk around OK City/Norman has been that Mike Stoops' 3 man front was designed to stop (eh, slow down) Tech and the Fighting Baptists. I'm not buying it. OU has been exposed without our best defensive tackle (Phillips) and our leader on defense (Corey Nelson) and I would be shocked if Tech doesn't find several ways to exploit the obvious weaknesses.

If OU doesn't play defense then it's lights out. We've got very little passing offense; and, our offensive coordinator is so pass happy that he will not commit to a slower paced game/style with a stable of decent running backs in the run game (as well as Bell/Knight running at QB).

I think the only thing that works slightly better in Oklahoma's favor (other than it being in Norman) is that 2:30pm is usually a time during the day when OU plays like it's supposed to. We'll see.

Old 10-26-2013, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
I'll be surprised if it's close.

The talk around OK City/Norman has been that Mike Stoops' 3 man front was designed to stop (eh, slow down) Tech and the Fighting Baptists. I'm not buying it. OU has been exposed without our best defensive tackle (Phillips) and our leader on defense (Corey Nelson) and I would be shocked if Tech doesn't find several ways to exploit the obvious weaknesses.

If OU doesn't play defense then it's lights out. We've got very little passing offense; and, our offensive coordinator is so pass happy that he will not commit to a slower paced game/style with a stable of decent running backs in the run game (as well as Bell/Knight running at QB).

I think the only thing that works slightly better in Oklahoma's favor (other than it being in Norman) is that 2:30pm is usually a time during the day when OU plays like it's supposed to. We'll see.
Congrats to OU. The Tech D was gashed quite a bit, and it looks like the Sooners are headed for another really good season.

As for the Red Raiders, hopefully they learned from it and can finally break the streak against the Cowboys in the friendly confines of The Jones.

Old 10-27-2013, 08:40 AM

I'm really happy about the effort that Tech put out yesterday! Kliff had them prepared for that game. I can handle a loss better when I know the team gave it all they've got and Tech definitely did that. Tech made some costly mistakes and OU played well so OU certainly deserved to win. I hope Tech will stay focused and be ready for Ok State next week. Wreck 'Em Tech!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football