Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2014, 02:17 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,032,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoe01 View Post
That's good news!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2014, 02:55 PM

2,327 posts, read 3,935,664 times
Default A few things

Tech is deep into spring practice. The team held its second annual Midland scrimmage last Saturday, which went well. Over 10k people showed up and saw Davis Webb throw four TD's. Other standouts included DT Donte Phillips, and WR's DJ Polite-Bray, Dylan Cantrell, and Bradley Marquez. The last is foregoing Minor League Baseball with the Mets organization this summer to concentrate on football.

The coaches have raved about S Keenon Ward, Transfer LB VJ Fehoko, and LB Sam Eguavoen after practices. Interestingly, RB Kenny Williams has decided to switch positions to play at OLB. He is now starting there, and apparently has learned fast.

Tonight is the Friday Night Lights Scrimmage, and the Red and Black Game is next Saturday at 11 AM on Fox Sports SW. Apparently some in the athletic department want Kliff to take snaps in a series next weekend. He's "tentative" about the idea, so we'll see.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:37 PM

Davis Webb for President--apparently he was THE star of last night's scrimmage. The entire first-team offense seemed to click, while the defense and special teams seemed woefully behind. There's still a week left to improve things.

Looks like Kingsbury WON'T play next Saturday, as some were hoping. My guess is that he thought it would take attention away from the team.

Old 04-10-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Tech is deep into spring practice. The team held its second annual Midland scrimmage last Saturday, which went well. Over 10k people showed up and saw Davis Webb throw four TD's. Other standouts included DT Donte Phillips, and WR's DJ Polite-Bray, Dylan Cantrell, and Bradley Marquez. The last is foregoing Minor League Baseball with the Mets organization this summer to concentrate on football.

The coaches have raved about S Keenon Ward, Transfer LB VJ Fehoko, and LB Sam Eguavoen after practices. Interestingly, RB Kenny Williams has decided to switch positions to play at OLB. He is now starting there, and apparently has learned fast.

Tonight is the Friday Night Lights Scrimmage, and the Red and Black Game is next Saturday at 11 AM on Fox Sports SW. Apparently some in the athletic department want Kliff to take snaps in a series next weekend. He's "tentative" about the idea, so we'll see.
Quote:
Davis Webb for President--apparently he was THE star of last night's scrimmage. The entire first-team offense seemed to click, while the defense and special teams seemed woefully behind. There's still a week left to improve things.

Looks like Kingsbury WON'T play next Saturday, as some were hoping. My guess is that he thought it would take attention away from the team.
It's good to hear that the Midland scrimmage went well! I'm also glad to hear that Davis Webb did so well. I thought he did a great job overall last year, especially for a true freshman. He looks a little bigger now, I think I read somewhere that he had put on some extra weight and it's mostly muscle.

That is interesting about Kenny Williams switching positions but I'm glad to hear he's been learning fast. I hope the defense and special teams will improve by the start of the season. IMO, Coach Wallerstedt did a good job last season with what he had to work with so I'm hopeful that the defense will be ready by then.

Old 04-11-2014, 05:50 PM

Default Red & Black game, Saturday at 11 AM, Fox Sports Southwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
It's good to hear that the Midland scrimmage wente well! I'm also glad to hear that Davis Webb did so well. I thought he did a great job overall last year, especially for a true freshman. He looks a little bigger now, I think I read somewhere that he had put on some extra weight and it's mostly muscle.

That is interesting about Kenny Williams switching positions but I'm glad to hear he's been learning fast. I hope the defense and special teams will improve by the start of the season. IMO, Coach Wallerstedt did a good job last season with what he had to work with so I'm hopeful that the defense will be ready by then.
That's good that Webb's weight gain is mostly muscle. He had an unspecified illness last year that caused drastic weight loss. If not for that, Webb might have played all year.

In all fairness to the defense, their overall grade for the spring might be incomplete because of the three linemen (Levi, Thorpe, and Smith) coming to Lubbock in the summer. The special teams have time to get things in order by late August.

Before then, however, the Red & Black game has to be played. Last year there was a record for attendance. The weather should be warm and breezy. Hopefully the defense has a more respectable showing than the last two public scrimmages, and the ST's show more discipline.

Finally, here's something that's been going around the internet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIvSSCwRdJU

Last edited by shoe01; 04-11-2014 at 07:16 PM..

Old 04-12-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
That's good that Webb's weight gain is mostly muscle. He had an unspecified illness last year that caused drastic weight loss. If not for that, Webb might have played all year.

In all fairness to the defense, their overall grade for the spring might be incomplete because of the three linemen (Levi, Thorpe, and Smith) coming to Lubbock in the summer. The special teams have time to get things in order by late August.

Before then, however, the Red & Black game has to be played. Last year there was a record for attendance. The weather should be warm and breezy. Hopefully the defense has a more respectable showing than the last two public scrimmages, and the ST's show more discipline.

Finally, here's something that's been going around the internet:

Texas Tech Football Dance Off 4.10.14 - YouTube
^^^Cool video! It's good to see that the guys and Kliff are having fun.

It's also good to hear about those linemen coming in the summer.

Old 04-12-2014, 02:35 PM

Default Recap

As always, it's difficult to know how good different squads were. To me, it seemed that the offense started fast, while the D was flat. As the game progressed, though, the D seemed to tighten up. The final score was Offense 37, Defense 30. Davis Webb performed very well overall, but wasn't perfect: he threw a pick and had several other passes broken up. Backup QB Tanner Tausch had a pretty good game once he gained composure. Some standouts on O were WR's Jakeem Grant, Bradley Marquez, Jordan Davis, and RB Deandre Washington. Defensively, LB's Sam Eguavoen, Pete Robertson, and Micah Awe got some key action along with S Keenon Ward. The linemen who are there did a fairly good job under the circumstances, esp. Jackson Richards and Keland McElrath. The special teams are still a work in progress.

The crowd, according to official estimates, was about 20% larger than last year's. I didn't attend this year (maybe next).

There is still a lot of work to do, in my opinion, to field an elite-level team, particularly on defense and special teams. I think the defense has made good progress, while the ST's still have a lot of ironing to do. Like on defense, there is help coming for ST Coach Chiaverini's squad: HS signee Ian Sadler. Hopefully he makes a big difference.

I do like Kliff's approach to things and think that he has the team on the right track. Apparently, a lot of fans think the same way: the school's record for season ticket sales has been broken this year, and people continue to buy them up. Only about 3000 remain before a sellout status is reached.

Last edited by shoe01; 04-12-2014 at 03:11 PM..

Old 04-12-2014, 07:52 PM

Correction: Davis Webb threw zero interceptions.

Here is a recap from the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal:

Webb has big day in Texas Tech spring game | Lubbock Online Mobile Edition

A highlight video from Tech:

Texas Tech University Official Athletic Site

Old 04-13-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
As always, it's difficult to know how good different squads were. To me, it seemed that the offense started fast, while the D was flat. As the game progressed, though, the D seemed to tighten up. The final score was Offense 37, Defense 30. Davis Webb performed very well overall, but wasn't perfect: he threw a pick and had several other passes broken up. Backup QB Tanner Tausch had a pretty good game once he gained composure. Some standouts on O were WR's Jakeem Grant, Bradley Marquez, Jordan Davis, and RB Deandre Washington. Defensively, LB's Sam Eguavoen, Pete Robertson, and Micah Awe got some key action along with S Keenon Ward. The linemen who are there did a fairly good job under the circumstances, esp. Jackson Richards and Keland McElrath. The special teams are still a work in progress.

The crowd, according to official estimates, was about 20% larger than last year's. I didn't attend this year (maybe next).

There is still a lot of work to do, in my opinion, to field an elite-level team, particularly on defense and special teams. I think the defense has made good progress, while the ST's still have a lot of ironing to do. Like on defense, there is help coming for ST Coach Chiaverini's squad: HS signee Ian Sadler. Hopefully he makes a big difference.

I do like Kliff's approach to things and think that he has the team on the right track. Apparently, a lot of fans think the same way: the school's record for season ticket sales has been broken this year, and people continue to buy them up. Only about 3000 remain before a sellout status is reached.
Quote:
Correction: Davis Webb threw zero interceptions.

Here is a recap from the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal:

Webb has big day in Texas Tech spring game | Lubbock Online Mobile Edition

A highlight video from Tech:

Texas Tech University Official Athletic Site
That's good to hear that the school's record for season tickets has been broken this year! I like what Kliff has been doing so far as well. However, as much as I like Kliff, I will judge him the same way I do any head coach...by their success...lol. I don't expect miracles but I do hope that Kliff can turn the Red Raiders into a very competitive football team, similar to what Mike Leach did. Of course, it would be really nice if Kliff can take the team even further than Leach did. I think the potential for that is there at least. That's good to hear about Webb! I think he has the potential to be a very good QB. Like I said in a previous post, he certainly impressed me last year as a true freshman. His performance in the bowl game last season was simply spectacular!

Thanks for the links. I couldn't get the video on the TTU Athletic site to work. Maybe they were just having temporary problems. I'll try again in a little while or try another browser.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:23 PM

DE Branden Jackson, Bill Cosby, Coach Kliff Kingsbury
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football