Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 05:17 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,571 times

Advertisements

As reported by the Salt Lake Tribune

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars...tball.html.csp

and ESPN

Sources: BYU to leave Mountain West Conference, join West Coast Conference in all sports except football - ESPN

Unsurprisingly, ESPN had a lot to do with this, hence them maintaining radio silence on the entire matter.

Sigh, I really wanted to see them stay in the mountain west and then they grab Houston. But there was no way they could walk away from all that potential money.

Wonder what will happen to the MWC now
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 10:43 PM

1,250 posts, read 2,518,026 times
With the MWC it basically destroys their chances of gaining an auto-bid unless someone rises up in theiir conference in rankings. The caveat is at least one current auto-bid conference loses thiers due to not enough teams or collapse, or if one more BCS game is added then maybe and espeically if they can get some Big XII teams if it collapes.

There are consequences to this action at this point. I think the Big Ten should now consider Notre Dame off the table for good since this action will make them dig in more in its status. Another is Texas is going to start looking at doing the same though politics will be the biggest stumbling block since it makes Texas Tech vulnerable.

Actually if superconferences form and Texas is independant in football, how would expansion work out? My guess is then Texas Tech won't be considered for going to the PAC without Texas. Also OU might decide to run off to the SEC then in this scenario. If the UT and OU are not available for the PAC if they want go to 16 then they have to go elsewhere. From what it looked like Kansas would be next and if someone else does not get them first then Missouri. I am thinking what happens with OSU and TT here, OSU will likely be able to join OU somewhere but TT might be on the outside in a UT independant scenario.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:25 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
With the MWC it basically destroys their chances of gaining an auto-bid unless someone rises up in theiir conference in rankings. The caveat is at least one current auto-bid conference loses thiers due to not enough teams or collapse, or if one more BCS game is added then maybe and espeically if they can get some Big XII teams if it collapes.

There are consequences to this action at this point. I think the Big Ten should now consider Notre Dame off the table for good since this action will make them dig in more in its status. Another is Texas is going to start looking at doing the same though politics will be the biggest stumbling block since it makes Texas Tech vulnerable.

Actually if superconferences form and Texas is independant in football, how would expansion work out? My guess is then Texas Tech won't be considered for going to the PAC without Texas. Also OU might decide to run off to the SEC then in this scenario. If the UT and OU are not available for the PAC if they want go to 16 then they have to go elsewhere. From what it looked like Kansas would be next and if someone else does not get them first then Missouri. I am thinking what happens with OSU and TT here, OSU will likely be able to join OU somewhere but TT might be on the outside in a UT independant scenario.
I agree Texas will go independent next (thus the demand for a tv network). BYU already had their own network. I can't see OU going to the SEC. But I definitely could see Texas A&M in the SEC. Texas Tech, OU and some other schools would probably merge with the Pac 10 after Texas goes independent.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
I agree Texas will go independent next (thus the demand for a tv network). BYU already had their own network. I can't see OU going to the SEC. But I definitely could see Texas A&M in the SEC. Texas Tech, OU and some other schools would probably merge with the Pac 10 after Texas goes independent.
That is possible, if OU goes West without UT they could dominate more than in the SEC and the PAC wants more dominant programs while the SEC might not and prefer middle powers and ones that could be dominant in the future.

It is interesting is that the PAC and Big Ten is likely to lose with BYU's decision since it takes Notre Dame and possibly UT off the table for everyone.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:17 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
As reported by the Salt Lake Tribune

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/cougars...tball.html.csp

and ESPN

Sources: BYU to leave Mountain West Conference, join West Coast Conference in all sports except football - ESPN

Unsurprisingly, ESPN had a lot to do with this, hence them maintaining radio silence on the entire matter.

Sigh, I really wanted to see them stay in the mountain west and then they grab Houston. But there was no way they could walk away from all that potential money.

Wonder what will happen to the MWC now
Good for BYU. This is a smart move for them. I suspect TCU will now join the Big East. Maybe bring Houston along with them.

I'm sure Texas is going to study this BYU move very close. Couldn't help bu notice in the last couple weeks Texas broke a contract to play Minnesota. Instead they added Notre Dame. They also scheduled BYU. And USC. USC has made some noises about going indy them selves.

Could we be seeing the start of a new independant group? ND, Navy, Army, BYU, Texas, USC and OU. That would make it easier to fill their schedules at the end of the year. What is left of the Big 12 (minus A7M which is going to the SEC no matter what else happens) could join up with the MWC and form a pretty decent conference. Just wondering.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:40 AM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,571 times
Why does every one think that TCU is gonna move? Least of all to the Big East and that crazy travel budget?

They have a better chance of running the table where they are now.

I think the MWC is a decent conference with potential to improve. National players with TCU and Boise State, decent teams in Fresno State, Air Force and Nevada. SDSU and UNLV COULD fill out the upper half of the conference if their coaches fufill their promises.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:27 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,107,153 times
I think this was dumb on BYUs part

they should have stayed, cause if they suck then it was all for nothing

Old 09-01-2010, 09:13 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,406,461 times
BYU are a bunch of stuck up snobs. I'd love to see my Devils sue them for backing out of our Home Game, at the last minute. No offense, Portland State.

Seriously, i hope they just croak and die, as a football program. I hope nobody schedules them, cuz they just cowardly back out of home and homes, at the last minute.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Good for BYU. This is a smart move for them. I suspect TCU will now join the Big East. Maybe bring Houston along with them.

I'm sure Texas is going to study this BYU move very close. Couldn't help bu notice in the last couple weeks Texas broke a contract to play Minnesota. Instead they added Notre Dame. They also scheduled BYU. And USC. USC has made some noises about going indy them selves.

Could we be seeing the start of a new independant group? ND, Navy, Army, BYU, Texas, USC and OU. That would make it easier to fill their schedules at the end of the year. What is left of the Big 12 (minus A7M which is going to the SEC no matter what else happens) could join up with the MWC and form a pretty decent conference. Just wondering.
One thing I see now is that the Big Ten should just consider the Irish off the table permenantly. Also if it works for BYU other schools will consider doing the same which would be a trend nobody predicted. Also several new independants might end up being what kills the BCS system.

Another issue is going to be superconferences in a scenario with more independants. If both UT and OU go independant the Big XII is dead in all likelyhood though state politics might be an issue for both if they try. What happens with everyone else other than A&M who already has an exit plan? My guess is a possible partition where the PAC/SEC/Big Ten starts taking who is left due to almost all options add markets and have no hurdles at this point. The odd scenario is that some might wind up with more than one offer from the list of conferences. The question then becomes would TT and OSU get offers from the PAC with UT and OU off the table in this scenario? My guess is they would look elsewhere first if they want to get to 16 starting with Kansas.

Old 09-02-2010, 05:34 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,107,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialmog View Post
One thing I see now is that the Big Ten should just consider the Irish off the table permenantly.
Nope---- ND has got to join the Big East Football conference, or they'll kick them out in every other sport!

It is really dumb of the Big East to allow ND to do that in football anyway!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football