Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 12:05 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,029,109 times

Advertisements

That was truly an incredible football game last night between two very good football teams. Boise State made things happen when it counted the most by making that critical stop on defense to get the ball back toward the end of the game. Then, in the two remaining minutes they executed a very impressive drive for the win. Hats off to Boise State. IMO, they deserve their #3 ranking.

Old 09-07-2010, 12:42 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
Boise has a good team, its just that they have 2 big games all year. VT and OSU. It was a good win but it would be nice to see them play a few middle teams that have size. Say like Colorado, Minnesota, Kansas so they can be physically tested/worn down like in the major conferences.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:54 PM

6,404 posts, read 8,980,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acuda View Post
2003 Fiesta Bowl
Buckeyes 31 Huricanes 24.

But, I'm sure your point was aimed at more specific years, huh?
That game was given to OSU by the officials if I recall that game correctly.

Old 09-07-2010, 01:59 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,835,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolDude View Post
I love all the people out there that think Boise would be having the same success in a real conference. News flash: despite what Herbie and ESPN tell you, there's a reason all those California guys choose to attend Boise as apposed to say a Pac-10 school. They cannot gain acceptance to major college schools. These mid-major conferences have lower academic standards. It's not like Peterson or that complete failure at Colorado are great scouts who find diamonds in the rough in the hottest recruiting state in the country. They get those guys because those recruits cannot locate Boise, ID on map.

Eliminate about 7 or so cupcakes from their schedule and up their academic requirements, then we'll see how good Boise is.
Boise St. may have lower academic standard but TCU doesn't. So your point is mute in that regard.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:51 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,111,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Boise has a good team, its just that they have 2 big games all year. VT and OSU. It was a good win but it would be nice to see them play a few middle teams that have size. Say like Colorado, Minnesota, Kansas so they can be physically tested/worn down like in the major conferences.
Fresno and Nevada are as good as those three schools.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:06 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Where are the haters now? If they run the table and don't get a crack at the title I will never again give a dime to NCAA as a matter of principle.
I watched that game with the expectation that Boise would not prevail and it didn't look like the Bronco's were going to pull it off until the end of the 4th quarter. I would also stipulate that I was rooting for Boise because I hate the Hokies and I wantonly encourage chaos and failure in the insane BCS system.

That was an ugly, ugly win against a (probably over-ranked) VT team that has a lot of athletic talent but no cohesion. Granted, that was the first week of the season and some bugs and bumps are to be expected, but I saw a lot of very lax fundamental mechanics happening with the Bronco offense and some things you would not expect to see out of a third year starting QB, let alone a first team all-american. As an aside, I have never seen a field covered with players in ugly uniforms. Ever. In any sport.

I will say that Moore looks totally natural in situational play. When Boise needed a score and they only had so much time to get one, he thrived. I wish I could have seen that entire drive without the assistance of a bone-headed VT defensive penalty, but Moore certainly appeared to be a natural crunch-timer as advertised (he just needs to stop throwing while running backwards when there isn't any pressure).

Alas, I digress...

If Boise wins out and more than one other team goes undefeated while enduring contests more challenging than VT and OSU (which is essentially what Boise's schedule boils down to), then I'm not sure how you reconcile granting a championship bowl berth to the Boise State Broncos.

I'm very interested to see how this plays out.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:07 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,848,791 times
It would be funny if VA Tech won the ACC and Cincinnati repeated as Big East champ. We'd have two BCS conference champions with losses to WAC schools [Fresno beat Cincinnati 28-14 Saturday.]

Old 09-07-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
Fresno and Nevada are as good as those three schools.
Ole Miss will be a good measuring stick for how physical Fresno is...

Nevada did look pretty good against Eastern Washington, but...

Old 09-07-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo1318 View Post
^^^How the heck do you know? Youre making this stuff up. Chill out. The SEC has the worst academics of all the major conferences. Why dont you talk Tenn Vols, we know Boise could whoop them.
SEC does NOT have the worst academics of all major conferences because the SEC includes Vanderbilt. I've come to the conclusion that this is the only reason the SEC includes Vanderbilt.

*It is kind of funny to hear someone who goes by the handle "VolDude" attacking Boise academics, though*

Old 09-07-2010, 03:39 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,312 times
Boise's up to #3 in the coaches' poll. If they run the table, and either Alabama or Ohio St loses, they can probably get to the title game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football