Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 10:30 AM

674 posts, read 1,458,886 times

Advertisements

If BSU can get into the Sugar Bowl to play LSU I'll take it!

Even though the sour grapes would be too much to handle if TCU and/or Oregon were playing in the NC...

But... I'm really worried we get left out completely for 1 loss Stanford.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 12:43 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,902,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Yeah, if memory serves, they put the rule in place during that year's off season. I'm sure the fact Nebraska and the BCS system itself was just completely embarrassed in the NC by Miami, I think it was 30-0 by halftime, had all to do with it.

It does highlight the kind of problems that exist with their "formula"..and though this particular rule was changed, other inequities still exist. Belotti's comment is still true today.

We need a playoff..
You know, one pro-BCS statement I left off was: "No one knows how to set up a playoff..."

Complete B.S. at it's finest. When you have THOUSANDS of suggestions and possibilties, I don't see how you can't come up with a tournament.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:59 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,031,285 times
I agree, the BCS is total...BS. I absolutely hate it. A playoff system is THE only way to know beyond any doubt which teams are the best teams and which teams deserve to be in the NC. Other major college sports, such as basketball, have playoffs. Even the lowest division high school football teams have playoffs!...lol

Old 11-08-2010, 12:59 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
As an Auburn fan, I think the 2004 screwjob on us was Exhibit A. Of course, if we win out and play Oregon, then Boise State and TCU can call this year a monumental screwjob on them.

In short, it's a cheap, sleazy, sham run by a cartel of money-grubbing college presidents. I really feel sorry for the teams in non-AQ conferences.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:00 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,215 times
I find it funny that after TCU beat down then #5 Utah - all the BCS excuse makers are now towing the "Well, Utah was overrated" line.

Um, it was the BCS that put Utah at #5, you know.

Yea - and Chattanooga and Washington are just such powerhouses.....

Old 11-10-2010, 07:36 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
You know, one pro-BCS statement I left off was: "No one knows how to set up a playoff..."

Complete B.S. at it's finest. When you have THOUSANDS of suggestions and possibilties, I don't see how you can't come up with a tournament.

The playoff seems to work pretty well in FCS, Division II and Division III year after year.

Only in FBS and FCS are certain teams and leagues excluded from the possibility of a championship.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:12 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
The playoff seems to work pretty well in FCS, Division II and Division III year after year.

Only in FBS and FCS are certain teams and leagues excluded from the possibility of a championship.
It actually bleeds money in FCS and it's still not equal. Montana, for example, is one of the only profitable programs in the FCS and pretty much subsidizes other programs. So, guess what happens to a barely +.500 Montana team this year? They will get an at-large bid and likely a home game. Politics and money are still very much at play on the tiny FCS stage.

Get ready for a total **** show once you add the SEC and Big X powers to a playoff discussion. I could see them arranging an eight team playoff scenerio with each BCS conference winner and two at-large spots, with the at-large spots being the lowest seeded in order to guarantee at least one home game for most of the BCS conf winners and most likely all road games for any non-AQ who makes it.

Non-AQ fans won't be too excited about a playoff that takes them to Auburn one week, and if they win, to Wisc the following week. It'll kill travel for the little guy and still produce plenty of cash for the big 6 conferences with auto-bids and home games. To think the BCS conferences will allow any sort of playoff system that doesn't protect their current revenue stream is beyond naive.

Last edited by truckingbronco; 11-11-2010 at 09:28 AM..

Old 11-11-2010, 12:38 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,142 times
10 or 16 team PO is too little IMO, we have 25-27 bowl games as it is, that's over 50 teams!

I'm not saying it could be 50 teams but seriously, even 16 is too small a number. About 20 teams would be about 20 games played thru.

seriously, I'm sick of seeing SE Tenn. St versus Wake Forrest on Dec 10th. Both teams barely above .500. What a waste. I simply can't imagine they couldn't make more money with a PO.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:08 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,506,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckingbronco View Post
That Nebraska team was a joke but 2001 Miami would've destroyed any team. Best team in history.
Second best.

The 2002 Ohio State team was the best team in history.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:12 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,506,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
As an Auburn fan, I think the 2004 screwjob on us was Exhibit A. Of course, if we win out and play Oregon, then Boise State and TCU can call this year a monumental screwjob on them.

In short, it's a cheap, sleazy, sham run by a cartel of money-grubbing college presidents. I really feel sorry for the teams in non-AQ conferences.
Auburn is a regional power. They don't get any attention outside of the South most years. Plus, Auburn didn't play much of a schedule that year.

There have been other teams more deserving than the 2004 Auburn team that were left out. And Auburn would have played USC in that game. USC beat Auburn the 2 previous years. They handed Auburn their worst home opening loss in Auburn history. The national title game would've been worse for Auburn.

Only reason Auburn is being considered this year is because you are one of only 2 BCS schools left undefeated. I can think of at least 20 schools that the BCS would put in before Auburn if they had the chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football