Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 05:47 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Second best.

The 2002 Ohio State team was the best team in history.
Actually the 2005 Texas Longhorns were the best team in history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 06:34 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,126,888 times
No BCS and No AQ! Top 10 teams play the bowls at the end of the season. Every major conference MUST have a conference bowl game(Big East we lookin at you) and please do not allow indies, mac, or wac teams in any of the top bowls! you wanna play with the big boys, then jump in the mosh pit with em!

Old 11-11-2010, 08:03 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Actually the 2005 Texas Longhorns were the best team in history.
They did manage to win against the Bucks that year.

Must have been a damn strong Longhorn team.

I still hear announcers say that 2005 Ohio State-Texas game was one of the best regular season games in history.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:10 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Since it seems impossible to have a national championship system that's meaningful why not just junk the entire notion of having a national champion? Who needs it? Why not go back to the days when teams were out to win their conference and then the traditional bowl game against a rival conference; like the old Big 10 vs. Pac 10 Rose Bowl?

What was wrong with that? This new system has destroyed traditions and the "boola-boola" factor of college sports. I swear it's more for the "fans" than it is for the students of the schools. People used to enjoy college football; now they have to be "into" college football. So now instead of seeing the half-time marching band shows the TV networks rush to "college football central" where the deadass "fan" in his duct taped Lazyboy can keep abreast of every game going on complete with surround sound graphics and breathless on the scene reporting and idiotic endless analysis of every trivial event. And meanwhile the true experience of college football suffers.

To Hell with it; I lost interest.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 11-11-2010 at 08:23 PM..

Old 11-11-2010, 08:26 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,126,888 times
Quote:

I still hear announcers say that 2005 Ohio State-Texas game was one of the best regular season games in history.
And also beat the USC team that was going for back-to-back Nat titles

Old 11-11-2010, 08:35 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,281,615 times
Quote:

Agreed, that Ohio State-Texas game was one for the ages. I'll always remember the insanity that occurred after the game in Austin-- people literally screaming and dancing in the streets... mobs of people everywhere!

If I remember correctly, that is when Ohio State had AJ Hawk and ended up beating Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:38 PM

977 posts, read 1,956,296 times
You are all wrong. The 1995 Nebraska Cornhuskers have consistently been ranked as the best team in history. All of your "Best Teams" are lucky they didn't have to play the 95 Huskers. 62-24...most lopsided championship game in histroy.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:40 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
What was wrong with that? This new system has destroyed traditions and the "boola-boola" factor of college sports. I swear it's more for the "fans" than it is for the students of the schools. People used to enjoy college football; now they have to be "into" college football. So now instead of seeing the half-time marching band shows the TV networks rush to "college football central" where the deadass "fan" in his duct taped Lazyboy can keep abreast of every game going on complete with surround sound graphics and breathless on the scene reporting and idiotic endless analysis of every trivial event. And meanwhile the true experience of college football suffers.

To Hell with it; I lost interest.

Let's take the example of Northern Illinois, who is now 8-2 this season.

When I moved to Chicagoland 10 years ago, tickets were $13, the team was pretty weak, but the games were fun.

At that time, they were taking 2-3 "paid losses" a year at Florida or the like on the road. Generally, their home games were a Div 1-AA game like Western Illinois or Tennessee Tech in September and four MAC games, generally after October 15th. At least the games were on Saturday afternoon even if they were at 3 pm or so.

Then they won a couple of those games one year and were "discovered" by ESPN. Now, a lot of the games are at times more suited to the TV crowd. For example, Tuesday night games in November, Wednesday day games before Thanksgiving and the like. And since the games are now televised, there is a TV timeout of 3-4 minutes after every series. Games are now nearly four hours long which is a PITA for those attending the game. Add in the higher prices, the fact that there is no edible food in the stadium and they won't let you bring in a sandwich (for a 6 pm football game). It is not worth it.

Enough is enough. I started heading to the local college teams - Wisconsin-Whitewater, Wheaton, and North Central all play some pretty good football. They have bands, the games are nearly all on Saturday and they are over in time for an early dinner after the game. The prices are in the $5-10 range.

Old 11-12-2010, 02:57 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
Agreed, that Ohio State-Texas game was one for the ages. I'll always remember the insanity that occurred after the game in Austin-- people literally screaming and dancing in the streets... mobs of people everywhere!

If I remember correctly, that is when Ohio State had AJ Hawk and ended up beating Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl.
Yep. They had AJ. Lost to State Penn that year by a point or two also. Then beat Notre Dame in the Fiesta.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:13 AM

1,639 posts, read 4,707,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg13 View Post
You are all wrong. The 1995 Nebraska Cornhuskers have consistently been ranked as the best team in history. All of your "Best Teams" are lucky they didn't have to play the 95 Huskers. 62-24...most lopsided championship game in histroy.
The arguement usually comes down to 1995 Huskers, 2001 Miami, and sometimes 2004 USC. The majority usually picks Miami. They were nasty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football