Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 01:23 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,881,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I will say at least Big 10 schools require their athletes to be able to read....unlike the SEC and other conferences/schools south of the Mason-Dixon.

What an intelligent thing to say...

You all keep reading. We'll keep winning National Championships!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Actually, even though Nebraska is a newcomer to the conference next year, making it understandable to have them overlooked- they rank above Ohio State for all time winning records. They are the #4 winningest program of all time. (Michigan is #1, Ohio State is #5)
You are right... I just do not consider Nebraska as Big Ten. I gotta get use to it.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:23 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,772,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The Ohio State-Michigan and Illinois-Northwestern rivalries are "protected rivalries" and they will continue to play. I am not sure what your angle with the seperate divisions is; but UM and OSU already have other rivalries with the Penn States and Michigan States of the world. Sometimes, these games are more important to the standings as it is now.

As an aside, I am so sick of hearing about how we have to protect Ohio State and Michigan. NEWSFLASH, most of us don't care.
Toxic, I know they are protected rivalries. But I will contend that even a protected rivalry suffers when the teams are in different divisions.

Thus if U-M is in one division with MSU and OSU in another with PSU, then it would seem to me that in time it is quite possible for the MSU-UM and PSU-OSU rivalries to overshadow UM-OSU.

As for how any feels about the UM-OSU rivalry, it is extremely important to the Big Ten. I don't think making a big thing about it has any effect on what you consider to be more important rivalries nation wide.

It isn't the elevation of the UM-OSU rivalry to the top of the nation's. It is merely recognizing how important it is to the Big Ten.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
( regarding #3)--------Wisconsin and Minnesota will still play each year so the rivalry will go on.
true. but that will not be the case of UW-Iowa which is protected right now.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
Wisconsin is missing it's second rivalry with Iowa. And Norhtwestern was always a big game, many have gone to live in Chicago for jobs so that game was always a good one. .
Thanks Badger. A lot of people don't realize it, but when Bucky heads south of the border into FIP country, it is NU, not U of I, that is the bigger and more traditional rival.

NU-UW is one of the longest series played in the conference.

Personally I do believe that UW got screwed on this. And I fully agree with your assessment that the Chicagoland connection through NU has been a good thing for UW. UW is very important in the metro area, with lots of area ties to the school.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
that's stupid IMO, might as well play a balanced schedule and forget the divisions.

teams rise and fall all the time. Michigan isnt' even that good right now as it is.
Badger, as I stated before, in any given year, Wisconsin and/or Iowa can easily be playing at Michigan's level.

And Michigan is NOT Ohio State; neither is PSU.

These are not the Bo-Woody years by a long shot. The conference is not dominated by Michigan and Ohio State. Indeed, Michigan doesn't come close to that description. And if OSU is the top of the heap, you know that if they play the Hawkeyes or Badgers, they may lose and.....more importantly....they are not going to run away from either by dominating the game.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
You are right... I just do not consider Nebraska as Big Ten. I gotta get use to it.
You think YOU have problems? I'm a Big Ten old timer and my problems can run rings around yours. To prove....

I haven't gotten used to Penn State in the Conference yet!

I'd like to see the Big Ten stay within its original seven state footprint. And if the conference were to be at 12 under those requirements, I'd love to see Notre Dame as the 11th member and....in pure fantasy and pipe dream....see the Univ. of Chicago to rejoin the conference as the 12 member.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:16 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,124,981 times
I doubt you're old enough to remember when Univ of Chicago was in the Big 10

Old 11-17-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
You think YOU have problems? I'm a Big Ten old timer and my problems can run rings around yours. To prove....

I haven't gotten used to Penn State in the Conference yet!

I'd like to see the Big Ten stay within its original seven state footprint. And if the conference were to be at 12 under those requirements, I'd love to see Notre Dame as the 11th member and....in pure fantasy and pipe dream....see the Univ. of Chicago to rejoin the conference as the 12 member.

I've never even heard of the University of Chicago...

I thought you were gonna say Depaul or Marquette. lol... Shows you how much I know about the Big 10 area. I liked the Big 10 growing up though. But looking back I think it was because they were HIGHLY publicized. Once Miami & FSU became power houses in the 80's the focus to southern schools happened. Alot of southern kids began staying around the South. That hurt the big 10 tremendously. Of course the coference is still great and still has a lot of tradition though. Michigan was always my fav Big 10 school... but wow how they have become mediocre. I really dont like any of the proprams now. I guess if I had to choose Michigan is still my fav though. Purdue being at the bottom of that list.

I wil say that I think Penn State has the best looking home uniforms in the country. The plain blue jerseys and plain white pants is so classic. 2 colors, no stripes... I love it!!!

Old 11-17-2010, 06:19 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,550,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Thanks Badger. A lot of people don't realize it, but when Bucky heads south of the border into FIP country, it is NU, not U of I, that is the bigger and more traditional rival.

NU-UW is one of the longest series played in the conference.

Personally I do believe that UW got screwed on this. And I fully agree with your assessment that the Chicagoland connection through NU has been a good thing for UW. UW is very important in the metro area, with lots of area ties to the school.
some people were saying UW got the easier division based on competition and that is debateable for sure as teams rise and fall but from a tradition standpoint they got jobbed.

I'd prefer a balanced, "round robin" type schedule like the Pac 10 ,there's enough games, how much money and excitement is generated by playing Fresno St., Northern Illinois and Central Michigan anyway?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football