Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2011, 06:46 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times

Advertisements

Time to stop pretending that the Big Ten is so great. Of the 12 teams in the Big Ten (including Nebraska), nine were invited to bowls. Six have already lost, with two wins and one game not yet played.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 06:55 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,164,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boisefan88 View Post
Bowl games work and players like them.

Just too many of them, and we need to get rid of most of the tie ins, and incorporate some sort of Plus One to fix the NC problem.
And a playoff would work better and players would like em even more... head firmly entrenched in sand although at least you would like to see a plus one. That is equal to a 4 team playoff whicjh i think is a start. 8 team is ideal.

Last edited by jp03; 01-01-2011 at 07:33 PM..

Old 01-01-2011, 08:07 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Haven't watched one second of one game. Other than for school alumni, bowl games are a complete waste. Meaningless exhibition games. No wonder ratings are at rock bottom. Until there is a meaningful playoff system, I will sit it out like many others. Even the "championship game" comes tainted as we don't truly have a winner without a PLAYOFF. How can anyone say Auburn is better than Wisconsin or TCU without playing em or at least like opponents... a true embarassment.
Well its certainly alot better than the old system where the top rated teams never even meet because of committment to bowls. I thnik plenty of people are watching and certainly alot of moeny being made. I in some ways liked the old rerwrd bowl system but the national championship was just more like dancing with the star thing;who could gather votes much has the Heisman has been for years.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:45 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,896,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzpost View Post
Provide us some stats on that please. I'd say the ratings are probably higher now than they've ever been.
TV ratings could sack BCS for a loss
TV ratings could sack BCS for a loss - USATODAY.com

KEISSER: Low attendance proves BCS is an absolute farce
KEISSER: Low attendance proves BCS is an absolute farce - Press-Telegram

Old 01-02-2011, 08:03 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,059,883 times
BCS = Bull Crap System

Old 01-02-2011, 10:34 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Is winning a Bowl game really a big deal since it's like a 1000 Bowl games

Old 01-02-2011, 05:52 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Is winning a Bowl game really a big deal since it's like a 1000 Bowl games
It's a big deal for those players, fans, conferences, and schools....

Old 01-02-2011, 06:14 PM

1,216 posts, read 1,082,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Haven't watched one second of one game. Other than for school alumni, bowl games are a complete waste. Meaningless exhibition games. No wonder ratings are at rock bottom. Until there is a meaningful playoff system, I will sit it out like many others. Even the "championship game" comes tainted as we don't truly have a winner without a PLAYOFF. How can anyone say Auburn is better than Wisconsin or TCU without playing em or at least like opponents... a true embarassment.

Ditto!

Old 01-02-2011, 09:38 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
It's a big deal for those players, fans, conferences, and schools....
it was a big deal and every game mattered when there was 4-5 bowl games and the best played. we just had a glut of new years day games and now 9 days to wait b/f the national "championship" game. boooring.

why is it such a big deal, 70 teams make a bowl game, how can you pat yourself on the back, you're a top-70 football program.

this is just like all the kiddies that get a trophy in little league.

by you're reasoning why don't we have 50 bowl games, make it a top 100 pat on the back exhibition.

this really is a microcosm for america: quantity over quality. no wonder everyone is so fat.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:24 PM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
it was a big deal and every game mattered when there was 4-5 bowl games and the best played. we just had a glut of new years day games and now 9 days to wait b/f the national "championship" game. boooring.

why is it such a big deal, 70 teams make a bowl game, how can you pat yourself on the back, you're a top-70 football program.

this is just like all the kiddies that get a trophy in little league.

by you're reasoning why don't we have 50 bowl games, make it a top 100 pat on the back exhibition.

this really is a microcosm for america: quantity over quality. no wonder everyone is so fat.
. . . . . what? Where the hell did I say there should be 50 bowls? Personally, I'd trim the number down.

Bowl games are a tradition that is worth keeping. Can't imagine college football without them. It just wouldn't feel right without them.

It may not be a big deal to you because YOU aren't the one playing. For alot of those guys, it's a once in a lifetime chace to go to a city where you're treated like royalty for about a week and play in a 75,000+ seat stadium for SOMETHING.

I wanna keep Bowls and have a playoff. And I'll also say that we shouldn't have more than 25 Bowls, but we should NOT get rid of them all together or shorten it all the way down to 4 or 5. Realize that there are 120 FBS schools. There will be MORE than 40 with winning records and they don't all play every single school in the country. So why not? And saying that these games are "exibitions" are just like rediculing someone who got an Audi instead of a Rolls Royce. Tell a TCU fan that this Rose Bowl was an "exibition" and it was "meaningless" and I gaurantee you'll get an earful of yellin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football