Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2011, 05:59 PM

175 posts, read 227,507 times

Advertisements

^ yep, the SEC has the crappiest schools out of the pac 10, big east, big 10 or big 12 from an academic standpoint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 06:39 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
We have top contenders EVERY year.

This past year Alabama & Florida in the SEC were top 10 preseason. Ohio State & Iowa in the Big Ten were top 10 preseason. Texas, Oklahoma, & Nebraska in the Big 12 were all top 10.

None of those teams lived up to it...

It will be Oregon, Stanford, Ohio State, Michigan State, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas A&M, Alabama, LSU etc...
Ohio St did not live up to it?

They shared the B10 title and beat up Arkansas.

And finished No. 5 in the country. ( Should have been No. 4 ahead of Oregon should have been no. 5 )

Not bad for a team who was suppose to be rebuilding an entire defense.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:41 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,396,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post

Oklahoma lived up to their preseason ranking. Preseason ranked #7, finished #6.

The AP did miss it big time with ut, uf, and auburn though.

Since the BCS MNC is back in 'Nola next year, LSU will probably be there. I'd say we have a good chance with a rematch of the 03-04 season. With a different outcome of course.
I like your optimism but with the exception of that mudfest loss to Penn St. in the Cap One bowl, LSU has been money in bowl games under Les Miles and LSU overall has a 7 game winning streak playing in the Dome. On an unrelated note, I just found out that one of Oklahoma's top recruits in Trey Metoyer out of Texas is originally from the Alexandria Louisiana area. Guess I shouldn't be suprised being that Chris Brown and Nic Harris were also from that area.

Last edited by Aceter; 01-18-2011 at 08:06 PM..

Old 01-18-2011, 11:14 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,459,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dugger1997 View Post
Oregon didn't get "man-handled"...They lost by a field goal...
Save yourself the sanity, bro. Don't you know that even when a team loses by a last second field goal to a SEC team, they really got utterly crushed? I mean, AU only outgained UO by 70 yards (basically coming from the last drive), but that could have been 700 yards if they really wanted. And pay no attention to the three times the Ducks failed to execute in the red-zone (after driving 70+), because it was AU's way of playing with them and had nothing to do with bad reads, poor playcalling, etc. And don't even try and say LaMichael James was banged up from getting horse-collared in the first-with no penalty called (because all nation leading running backs get a mere 13 carries in the National Championship game). Oregon really never got out of their own red-zone but a few lucky plays.

Face it, the Ducks wouldn't even beat Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Georgia, Ole Miss and all the other bottom feeders in the SEC...that's how badly they got man-handled.

Last edited by Acuda; 01-18-2011 at 11:27 PM..

Old 01-18-2011, 11:18 PM

5,546 posts, read 9,505,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
I like your optimism but with the exception of that mudfest loss to Penn St. in the Cap One bowl, LSU has been money in bowl games under Les Miles and LSU overall has a 7 game winning streak playing in the Dome. On an unrelated note, I just found out that one of Oklahoma's top recruits in Trey Metoyer out of Texas is originally from the Alexandria Louisiana area. Guess I shouldn't be suprised being that Chris Brown and Nic Harris were also from that area.
Yep. The Sooners recruit Louisiana well. Don't forget Oklahoma great Rufus Alexander....and I think current D-End Frank Alexander is from Louisiana. Got some great talent there.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
Yep. The Sooners recruit Louisiana well. Don't forget Oklahoma great Rufus Alexander....and I think current D-End Frank Alexander is from Louisiana. Got some great talent there.
I forgot about them. Both of them were from Baton Rouge I wonder if they're related. Yeah, speaking of recruiting, Louisiana was sick this year.

Last edited by Aceter; 01-19-2011 at 06:45 PM..

Old 01-19-2011, 07:04 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,606,903 times
Louisiana, per capita, puts more players in the NFL than any other state. Their talent is pretty much sick every year.

Damaris Johnson is beast. I've had the pleasure of watching him live in person a few times, he's well worth the ticket price. NCAA all time leader in All Purpose yards and he still has one more year to go.

Last edited by nevergoingback; 01-19-2011 at 07:14 PM..

Old 01-19-2011, 07:17 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,023,348 times
Ok call me crazy,

but isn't one of the keys to this argument....

the cultural importance placed on youth football and athletics in the south? It's loved nationwide but as many have noted, it's on another level in the South and Texas.

One of these days, I'd like to explore that more (I don't expect any legit answers on a forum).

Still, one of the power programs from the other conferences HAS to step up in the Natty.

Old 01-20-2011, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Louisiana, per capita, puts more players in the NFL than any other state. Their talent is pretty much sick every year.

Damaris Johnson is beast. I've had the pleasure of watching him live in person a few times, he's well worth the ticket price. NCAA all time leader in All Purpose yards and he still has one more year to go.
That dude is a blazer. I didn't know he had that all purpose yards record though. Looks like Tulsa has been buildiing a little pipeline down here in Louisiana in the last couple of years. As for as the state of Louisiana, this has to be one of the sickest years of talent ever, that's why LSU's incoming class might be one for the ages.

Old 01-21-2011, 03:57 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,305,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
That dude is a blazer. I didn't know he had that all purpose yards record though. Looks like Tulsa has been buildiing a little pipeline down here in Louisiana in the last couple of years. As for as the state of Louisiana, this has to be one of the sickest years of talent ever, that's why LSU's incoming class might be one for the ages.

No wonder the coach did not leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football