Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 04:05 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,894,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Only Vanderbilt is the perennial doormat.

Very True... but we all know their purpose in the SEC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 04:46 AM

3,390 posts, read 4,948,828 times
Because Oregon wore yellow highlighters for uniforms. WTH is up with these people and their schizophrenic uniform changes?

Old 01-11-2011, 04:53 AM

749 posts, read 2,437,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
The fact that there's no playoff...

AND BEFORE ANYONE HERE KILLS ME FOR SAYING THAT, I just have to say that with the system we have and the fact that SEC teams are always ranked at the top, it's easier for them to get into the National Title.

But then again, that doesn't explain why the past 5 schools taht play in other conferences didn't beat the SEC school, so..... I don't know.

Just my opinion, but it becomes less fun when the same conference wins it over and over, even if it's your own.
Complete rubbish, anyone who follows CFB closely knows Ohio St. are the media darlings.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:56 AM

749 posts, read 2,437,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
Cold hard truth!
Cold hard truth that got "Jimmy the Greek" fired, but spot on.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:48 AM

990 posts, read 2,302,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
The fact that there's no playoff...

AND BEFORE ANYONE HERE KILLS ME FOR SAYING THAT, I just have to say that with the system we have and the fact that SEC teams are always ranked at the top, it's easier for them to get into the National Title.

But then again, that doesn't explain why the past 5 schools taht play in other conferences didn't beat the SEC school, so..... I don't know.

Just my opinion, but it becomes less fun when the same conference wins it over and over, even if it's your own.
I prescribe that they've simply had he best team the last 5 years. But here are my factors in no order.

1.) pre-season rankings/perception. This is absolutely key. It doesn't mean that the SEC is bad or superior. It means there is a perception that gives high preseason rankings. Like it or not, this off-the-bat gives the opportunity for more quality wins because the opponents are ranked. Also, a high preseason spot is hard to lose. We actually avoided this, this season, but this has been the most prominent factor since the formation of the BCS. We've learned this most from...............................TCU and Boise St. ESPN's love of Boise St was propelled from solid program that beats doormats 11 out of 12 games, to perennial powerhouses that beat 11 out of 12 doormats after they trick played themselves to a victory over an unmotivated OU. Utah beating Bama didn't help matters either. Believe it or not, these aren't the firs non-BCS conference teams to go undefeated. The only difference was, in the past they were given a spot at #9 in the polls at the end of the season, then relegated back to being lucky to start in the top 25. In 2001 TCU would have ended the season ranked #9.

2.) Population grown in the south. Especially Florida, Georgia and Texas, all states that the SEC really recruits.

3.) Overrecruiting. In case anyone missed this scandal that is ongoing, some of the top SEC schools have been signing more kids than the 85 scholarships, then eliminating their way down to 85 selectively. Will be interesting how the NCAA handles this.

4.) NCAA vilolations that largely go self punished. Yes, they lead in violations during the 2000s. Also at the top of that list are OU and USC.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:02 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLifeLovePacific View Post
The Pac 10 learned tonight that they can not match the talent of the SEC. The SEC has now one 5 BCS championships in a row. What makes the football teams in the SEC better then all other parts of the country? Is it the weather, the football culture, harder mentality, better athletes because it's the south?
well, there's a strong correlation between the areas of the U.S. that produce the largest quantities of football talent (per capita), and the areas of the U.S. that were best suited to plantation agriculture.

those areas are concentrated in the deep south, which is why so many NFL players are from the sugar growing areas of Florida and Louisiana, and the cotton growing areas of Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, and other states. I bet Belle Glade, FL (pop 16,000) has produced more NFL players than the entire state of Oregon (pop ~3 million).
Or just look at Auburn's roster. Most players are from places like Thibodaux, LA and St Matthews, SC, south Florida, New Orleans, etc.

Oregon and the Pac 10 have really benefitted from general population growth. The past 20 years have seen tremendous growth in California and Texas, which is where they seem to get most of their players.

But i also agree with the other factors involved.. the money, the competition, the culture, lack of NFL tradition, the weather, they all play a role in giving the SEC the upper hand over the ACC and the Big 12, in particular.

Last edited by le roi; 01-11-2011 at 07:06 AM..

Old 01-11-2011, 06:39 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,736 times
It is the day-in-day-out competition. Florida lost 5 games. S. Carolina, Alabama, Miss St, LSU, (all SEC) and Florida State. Four of those won bowl games. S. Car only got beat by Ohio State. The Gators beat 4 other bowl-bound teams to finish 8-5. Almost every SEC game is against a top opponent, get good or finish 2-9. Ten teams were in bowl games.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanamo View Post
2.) Population grown in the south. Especially Florida, Georgia and Texas, all states that the SEC really recruits.

Texas is NOT a heavily recruited state in the SEC...

Auburn only has 2 players on the entire team from the state of TX. Kids from TX go to schools in the Big 12 and Pac-10. Not the SEC.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1coolcustomer View Post
Cold hard truth that got "Jimmy the Greek" fired, but spot on.

Yea... I loved Jimmy too! Hated to see him go... But you can't tell the truth on TV.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:25 AM

78,329 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveLifeLovePacific View Post
The Pac 10 learned tonight that they can not match the talent of the SEC. The SEC has now one 5 BCS championships in a row. What makes the football teams in the SEC better then all other parts of the country? Is it the weather, the football culture, harder mentality, better athletes because it's the south?

The Pac 10 team got man handled by the SEC team in this BCS Champ game.
Baseded upon the gramma in the post above Im's going too guess it be the lax educational standards.

Seriously though, it's also the payments to the athletes, generous boosters and other sundry techniques involved in most big-time programs.

Hey, it's big-time college football and the behind the scenes recruitment and operations is hugely important to the success of a team. You are also dealing with southern teams and well...the south has a long and storied tradition of keeping things "in the family" between boosters, local politicians and so on and so forth.

FYI - I don't care if the SEC wins every year. College football is a multi-billion dollar a year business and rules get bent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football