Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2011, 12:04 AM

1,692 posts, read 3,131,442 times

Advertisements

is anyone ready for the season???

How is the new Pac-12 gonna rank now that it has a championship game??

Is the "Big XII"(not 10 team) worth looking at besides Texas and OU??

Will the Big East come with some fire after a lack luster season last year??

Will the SEC notch another BCS championship on its already loaded belt??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 08:34 AM

2,714 posts, read 4,287,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastFerrari View Post

I'd say the Big 12 is definitely gonna be a strong conference next year. We are likely to have half the conference ranked going into the season: OU, OK-State, TAMU, MU, and UT.

Its gonna all be up for grabs next year in the Big 12...

Old 05-16-2011, 03:10 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,457,268 times
Quote:
I think the conference stays fairly the same IMO except now their undefeated/1 loss team has a tough-er game to play at the end of the year going into bowl season that they could trip up on; granted on the one side USC probably will take it's division every year.

Quote:
Oklahoma will be the best of the conference (once/if they get past FSU, it should be clear sailing into the national spotlight). Texas A&M will be solid. OK St will be alright. Texas I think will be more of the same going into next year i.e. still in the dumps.

Quote:
Big East hasn't had quality since Rodriguez left for Michigan and even then it was only 1 team. Though the beauty of their conference is that each game is a toss up of who will win since no team is particularly dominant.

Quote:
My preseason pick is Alabama taking it all. LSU at home. Rival Auburn loses its star on offense and defense i.e. crash. Only tough away is Miss St, which with the talent Alabama has shouldn't be of concern.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:14 PM

20,525 posts, read 33,608,066 times
Quote:
Oklahoma will be the best of the conference (once/if they get past FSU, it should be clear sailing into the national spotlight). Texas A&M will be solid. OK St will be alright. Texas I think will be more of the same going into next year i.e. still in the dumps.
Could you explain why with Texas? I think they get much better this next season only with better qb play and better secondary play in addition to a better coaching staff. Texas certainly has the talent to play better. Remember, they are only a year removed from playing in the national title game.

Old 05-16-2011, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Could you explain why with Texas? I think they get much better this next season only with better qb play and better secondary play in addition to a better coaching staff. Texas certainly has the talent to play better. Remember, they are only a year removed from playing in the national title game.
I agree with you. Texas will be much better next year.

We all know last year was a disaster because of Greg Davis's horrible offensive play calling.

Now that Applewhite and Harsin (ex-Boise State OC) have taken over the reigns I expect to see some high powered offense next season.

Not to mention we now have Malcolm Brown...

Old 05-16-2011, 06:30 PM

1,261 posts, read 2,026,379 times
Quote:

That West Coast conference is the final piece in a true Big 3, along with that Rust Belt and Dixie bunch.

Texas and Oklahoma are royalty but Oklahoma State and Texas A/M are solid (well if they can keep Mike Sherman anyway). Mizzou is good too. Dunno bout the rest, but remember don't just think that if it's not a brand name it's not a program worth following.

Too early to tell in the Big East can't get a handle on any team, ALL of them are in a state of flux.

If the SEC does notch one, it's gonna be from the West, no contest.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:30 AM

2,532 posts, read 3,457,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
The team only had 1 quality win last year (at Nebraska). The rest of the teams they won against were not even decent. Things don't just magically change one year later. Yes, they get OK and OKSt at home (i.e. 2 of 3 good teams they have to play this season) but they had UCLA at home last year and look what happened. Yes, Diaz > Muschamp. Yes, Harsin is a great coach but look at what the QBs did prior to him (Young - Heisman, Colt McCoy - Heisman candidate) so will he make a huge change??, not sure... Seeing is believing so we will see what they bring to the table come Sept. Do note with coaching changes it normally take a year or two until they get the type of talent they need for their plays. Until then, my preseason prediction is 4 to 5 losses for the Longhorns.

Old 05-17-2011, 07:40 AM

4,078 posts, read 5,619,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncopus99 View Post
Yes, they get OK and OKSt at home
Now I'm positive you don't follow CFB all that close. NTTAWWT.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
Now I'm positive you don't follow CFB all that close. NTTAWWT.
Didn't you read the press release? OU decided they'd rather take their beating at DKR stadium this year.

OU's President said they didn't want to embarrass themselves too close to home this year.

OU's fans said they wanted to get as far away from Oklahoma as possible. (who wouldn't?)

Old 05-17-2011, 09:25 AM

2,329 posts, read 3,945,741 times
Since the Big 12-2 is being discussed a lot right now, I'll chime in.

OU is the team to beat.
Oklahoma State and A&M aren't far behind, probably.
Baylor is still dangerous with Griffin.
Tech might do okay, it will just be young.
UT should do better than last year, how much is the question.
Kansas needs to do better or the fan base might get antsy.
Don't know a lot about Kansas State.
Missouri doesn't have Gabbert, but may be good anyway.
Iowa State may be a spoiler team.

(The order above wasn't a definitive ranking, except for obviously OU. The next two listed may be tied for two and three. The rest are very difficult to rank.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football