Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2011, 10:41 PM

1,359 posts, read 4,843,101 times

Advertisements

As the commentators mentioned, the OSU loss also hurts Oklahoma, because Bedlam won't be nearly as important now as far as the BCS goes.

Some kind of rematch is looking a lot more likely now, unless Arkansas manages to sneak in there.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:42 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,588,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
Anyone think LaMichael James is the leading Heisman candidate now unless the Ducks lose tomorrow?
Yes I do. Wish he wouldn't have missed those two (?) games.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:59 PM
JL

8,519 posts, read 14,489,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Middle School Mustache View Post
Yes I do. Wish he wouldn't have missed those two (?) games.
Actually, i think that bolsters his case favorably. He is averaging 150yds/game and 7.9 yds/carry with 1,207 yards....better than Trent Richardson while missing 2 games. Both teams ranked neck and neck. Also, if he has a great game against USC and they win BIG, it only looks better for him. A 200yd game will put him in the lead for the Heisman i think without a doubt. Another thing i think is that a big dominating win against USC will probably have Oregon leap over Alabama for 2nd since Bama is only playing Georgia Southern. Oregon has alot to prove this Sunday...not just win, but win convincingly.

Last edited by JL; 11-18-2011 at 11:12 PM..

Old 11-18-2011, 11:22 PM

2,819 posts, read 6,440,289 times
As JL said above, Oregon have to just try and run up the score, most importantly winning first, since Bama are playing Georgia Southern.

As an Oregon fan (and Nevada), it brings joy to me that this will now be chaos, perhaps even the neutral fan will enjoy this scenario rather than having Okie St winning today and next week, making it a straight forward matchup.

The problem for the neutral fans again, maybe they'll have to see a rematch.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:39 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,250,778 times
Oh this is SOOOO good. Now Ill be terrified tonight when I watch USC play my Ducks...now its bigger than Stanford/Oregon. Pretty much for the right to play for it all. The odds makers are crazy, this will be so close its not going to be funny.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:21 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,316,348 times
Wow, I totally missed this game. I didn't even know OK St. was playing last night. LOL!

Well then, looks like we can take OK St. out of the picture. If you're going to compare losses, Oregon's 1 loss to the current number one is obviously more forgivable than OSU's.

And let this be a warning to my Tigers: don't you guys dare take Ole Miss lightly tonight. I realize that ISU's probably more capable than the Rebels, who have seemingly quit on their coach, but stranger things have happened. Houston Nutt's a master of big game surprises, so I won't put this one in the bag just yet.

At the risk of speaking too early, it looks like we might be headed to the second 'game of the century' in Baton Rouge next Friday. It's important to note that if LSU wins against Arkansas, they have probably, for all practical purposes, wrapped up a slot in the BCS game. Even if they were to lose to Georgia, they'd still be a one-loss team, having defeated Arkansas, Alabama, and Oregon.

In short, if LSU wins out today and then beats Arkansas next weekend, then the BCS will almost surely be a rematch game against one of those three teams. Probably Oregon, since they'd be the winner of the PAC 12. But Alabamans will be moaning that they should have won that game and took LSU into OT.

I gotta admit, I'd be pulling for Oregon. I could handle losing to the Ducks, but if we lost to Alabama, I don't think Tide fans would ever let us forget it. Of course, if we were to win...that would be sweet.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foreverking View Post
Oh this is SOOOO good. Now Ill be terrified tonight when I watch USC play my Ducks...now its bigger than Stanford/Oregon. Pretty much for the right to play for it all. The odds makers are crazy, this will be so close its not going to be funny.
Don't worry, dude. The game's up here in the rainy Northwest. Those SoCal pretty boys can't handle it. Game's at Autzen. Ducks never lose there. The condom makers are going to be wiping Duck sh*t off their helmets and jerseys all afternoon and evening.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:32 AM

Figured I'd add (re OSU) that this was the concern I had about the Big 12 teams. Yes, they light up the scoreboard, but they can't play defense. About the only team that can play defense at the flip of the switch is Oklahama, and even they get torched at times.

FWIW, I'll say it now: this is also the concern I have about Oregon and Stanford. Oregon's defense is respectable, but I think they can be pounded on the lines and worn down. I think this is the argument for an Alabama-LSU rematch over an Oregon-LSU rematch. I don't think Oregon's line is going to hold up to the LSU linemen (or the Bama linemen) who blast opposing lineman for 3 quarters, before wearing them down in the 4th. Suddenly, the LSU running backs start turning those three or four yard carries into 10-25 yard carries. LSU would be even harder for the Ducks with Jordan Jefferson back, because he would make the Ducks defense respect the short game more.

To be honest, even though I hate the thought of playing them again, and even though I agree with everyone else in the country, that the game wouldn't be exciting if you're an offensive fan, the team that would probably pose the biggest threat to LSU would be Alabama. They're the one team that can match their physical style of play for all four quarters. They're the only team that's proven that so far.

Old 11-19-2011, 09:41 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,250,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Wow, I totally missed this game. I didn't even know OK St. was playing last night. LOL!

Well then, looks like we can take OK St. out of the picture. If you're going to compare losses, Oregon's 1 loss to the current number one is obviously more forgivable than OSU's.

And let this be a warning to my Tigers: don't you guys dare take Ole Miss lightly tonight. I realize that ISU's probably more capable than the Rebels, who have seemingly quit on their coach, but stranger things have happened. Houston Nutt's a master of big game surprises, so I won't put this one in the bag just yet.

At the risk of speaking too early, it looks like we might be headed to the second 'game of the century' in Baton Rouge next Friday. It's important to note that if LSU wins against Arkansas, they have probably, for all practical purposes, wrapped up a slot in the BCS game. Even if they were to lose to Georgia, they'd still be a one-loss team, having defeated Arkansas, Alabama, and Oregon.

In short, if LSU wins out today and then beats Arkansas next weekend, then the BCS will almost surely be a rematch game against one of those three teams. Probably Oregon, since they'd be the winner of the PAC 12. But Alabamans will be moaning that they should have won that game and took LSU into OT.

I gotta admit, I'd be pulling for Oregon. I could handle losing to the Ducks, but if we lost to Alabama, I don't think Tide fans would ever let us forget it. Of course, if we were to win...that would be sweet.
I had no Idea they were playing either OK St and another Sweaty A$$ state played a thriller last night and I was completely oblivious.
To your last note...sure hope you don't have listen to Alabama fans, although you live in the NW, but in Eugene, after Football season, it will be back to peace, love and the Grateful Dead. LSU who? Oh yeah...them...pass me the pipe.

Old 11-19-2011, 10:23 AM

1,672 posts, read 2,868,127 times
Umm guys Bama is likely gonna be #2 when the latest BCS poll comes out tomorrow evening. Sorry duck fans, but beating USC, who is not ranked in the BCS by the way, won't be enough to jump Bama.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > College Football